Summer's a pc Killer

What a lovely day we had today, in the UK. 28c wonderful.
Not so great for my pc, the cpu is pushing 50c idle, and is usually around
45c idle. I got tons of fans, but not all of them are on, cause it sounds
like a train station when they are. I wanted to get a fan controller(3
channel at least) that could actually turn off the fans. Due to a bit of
moding, i've got no free 3 1/2 drive bays, my cases' door creates a
clearance issue as well, i got about a 1cm to work with. My plan was to mod
a fan controller into an old drive bay cover, and recess the knobs, so they
don't interfere with the door. Any recommendations for a fan controller. I
don't want to spend over £20 or about $30.
Thanks

-- -----------------------------------------
"Blu-Ray"
2600+Sempron (O/C @2800+)
512Mb DDR 400 (running in sync with cpu @ 184)
9600 pro 128 (O/C @ 420/500)
Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ
Raidmax cobra case
Dual 12" Blue CCFL
Blue LED fans
Arctic Cooler Copper 2L
"Cheap and very cheerful"
Check it out @
www.russianspacestation.iwarp.com/blu-ray.htm
10 answers Last reply
More about summer killer

    The other day I was recording video on a terribly hot day and the CPU
    temp kept going higher so I grabbed a portable room fan and put it to
    the open side of the case and it brought down the temp quick. I was
    happy.

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 23:30:51 +0000, Veritech wrote:

    > What a lovely day we had today, in the UK. 28c wonderful.

    No kidding. I wish we didn't see 37C+ days here for months on end.
    Consider yourself lucky if you stay under 35C all year long. During the
    summer we rarely see lows that low.

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote

    > No kidding. I wish we didn't see 37C+ days here for months on end.
    > Consider yourself lucky if you stay under 35C all year long. During the
    > summer we rarely see lows that low.

    You must move to the coast. Consider the tsunamis water cooling.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    Get water cooling it is quieter and works great.

    "Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > What a lovely day we had today, in the UK. 28c wonderful.
    > Not so great for my pc, the cpu is pushing 50c idle, and is usually around
    > 45c idle. I got tons of fans, but not all of them are on, cause it sounds
    > like a train station when they are. I wanted to get a fan controller(3
    > channel at least) that could actually turn off the fans. Due to a bit of
    > moding, i've got no free 3 1/2 drive bays, my cases' door creates a
    > clearance issue as well, i got about a 1cm to work with. My plan was to
    > mod a fan controller into an old drive bay cover, and recess the knobs, so
    > they don't interfere with the door. Any recommendations for a fan
    > controller. I don't want to spend over £20 or about $30.
    > Thanks
    >
    > -- -----------------------------------------
    > "Blu-Ray"
    > 2600+Sempron (O/C @2800+)
    > 512Mb DDR 400 (running in sync with cpu @ 184)
    > 9600 pro 128 (O/C @ 420/500)
    > Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ
    > Raidmax cobra case
    > Dual 12" Blue CCFL
    > Blue LED fans
    > Arctic Cooler Copper 2L
    > "Cheap and very cheerful"
    > Check it out @
    > www.russianspacestation.iwarp.com/blu-ray.htm

    HAHA. Yes, in The UK when it reaches anywhere close to 30C we start
    bitching. We bitch when its cold, we bitch when it rains and we bitch when
    it's hot. The only time people don't bitch is when it snows!

    I feel sorry for your 37C heat+. 24C is a nice temperature. I can remeber
    the summer of 2003 when we we had those kind of temperatures. Brought the
    whole country to a standstill! Railways, roads etc. Hundreds old people died
    aswell.

    "Dan" <d.d.com> wrote in message
    > HAHA. Yes, in The UK when it reaches anywhere close to 30C we start
    > bitching. We bitch when its cold, we bitch when it rains and we bitch when
    > it's hot. The only time people don't bitch is when it snows!
    >
    > I feel sorry for your 37C heat+. 24C is a nice temperature. I can remeber
    > the summer of 2003 when we we had those kind of temperatures. Brought the
    > whole country to a standstill! Railways, roads etc. Hundreds old people
    > died aswell.

    Its great being English you can appreciate the down side in virtually
    anything ... still musn't grumble. ;o)

    Re: PC temps - I'm sure the Gigabyte monitoring program (GA-K8NXP-SLI) shows
    the CPU temp as 35oC no matter what the real temp is. Ho hum what I don't
    know ....

    "Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote

    > You know what... I never ever worried about CPU temps ever again after
    > that. If I see 65 deg C now, I know all is well....

    Those were rated for 90C or something like that, but could start making
    little errors above 60C.

    Some of the new Athlon 64's are rated for only 65C.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:03:15 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
    wrote:

    >"Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote
    >
    >> You know what... I never ever worried about CPU temps ever again after
    >> that. If I see 65 deg C now, I know all is well....
    >
    >Those were rated for 90C or something like that, but could start making
    >little errors above 60C.
    >
    >Some of the new Athlon 64's are rated for only 65C.

    Ed,,

    I heard all sorts of stories about how things will start to happen at
    certain given temps and I suspect that a lot of them are true but I
    regularly see temps above 60 deg C on this XP3000 and nothing ever
    happens. It's winter now but through the last summer I saw 68 and even
    70 deg once or twice, just after I finished playing a few games...

    My brother has the XP2000 m/b and CPU which almost fried itself and it
    still goes well....

    I am not doubting the experts but in my case, I have seen it with my
    own two eyes...
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Thanks for contributing

    It was the CPU's i was so worried about, its rated for 80c, so its cool,
    pretty much.
    What was really worrying me, was my GFX card, its a Radeon 9600 pro, and it
    passively cooled, since i o/c it when i game(and only while i'm gaming) i'm
    worried about the memory and the GPU going south on me, which i really can't
    afford it, just at the minute as i'm saving to get a 17" flat panel. And i
    wanna hold off the 6600GT a little longer.
    I thought about getting one of those ati silencers for the card, but they
    only cool the GPU(for my card at least).

    Either way, now that i just come to think about it, my system memory runs at
    the same speed, and its "unprotected" so maybe i'm just worrying too much.
    But i hope to get an abit AN7, and get the CPU up to 2.2Ghz, and hold on to
    skt A for just a little while longer.

    Thanks anyway
    "Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:03:15 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote
    >>
    >>> You know what... I never ever worried about CPU temps ever again after
    >>> that. If I see 65 deg C now, I know all is well....
    >>
    >>Those were rated for 90C or something like that, but could start making
    >>little errors above 60C.
    >>
    >>Some of the new Athlon 64's are rated for only 65C.
    >

    > Ed,,
    >
    > I heard all sorts of stories about how things will start to happen at
    > certain given temps and I suspect that a lot of them are true but I
    > regularly see temps above 60 deg C on this XP3000 and nothing ever
    > happens. It's winter now but through the last summer I saw 68 and even
    > 70 deg once or twice, just after I finished playing a few games...
    >
    > My brother has the XP2000 m/b and CPU which almost fried itself and it
    > still goes well....
    >
    > I am not doubting the experts but in my case, I have seen it with my
    > own two eyes...
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote
    > I heard all sorts of stories about how things will start to happen at
    > certain given temps and I suspect that a lot of them are true but I
    > regularly see temps above 60 deg C on this XP3000 and nothing ever
    > happens. It's winter now but through the last summer I saw 68 and even
    > 70 deg once or twice, just after I finished playing a few games...
    >
    > My brother has the XP2000 m/b and CPU which almost fried itself and it
    > still goes well....
    >
    > I am not doubting the experts but in my case, I have seen it with my
    > own two eyes...

    You can try running a prime95 torture test on it. If you get no errors in 15
    minutes it's probably ok, but a 24 hour test will really tell you.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\