MSI K8N Neo4/SLI or MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit adaptor
and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID controller
that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor and a
second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

Thanks

Nospam wrote:

> So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
> platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit adaptor
> and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID controller
> that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor and a
> second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
> Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

Gee, if you can afford both, why not get the better one, just in case
you might need it?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 03:06:23 GMT, "Nospam"
<Nospam@pacbell.net> wrote:

>So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
>platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit adaptor
>and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID controller
>that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor and a
>second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
>Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks

Just an offhand guess, but maybe because you need more
networking or drives than only one of each can provide?
Or as you say, why would you? I"m afraid we can't make that
call for you... if you don't currently desire to have more
of these, no plan that would require them, there's no reason
to believe you'll need them. Then again, like anything if
the price difference is small you can always disable them.

ToolPackinMama wrote:
> Nospam wrote:
>
>> So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
>> platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit
>> adaptor
>> and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID
>> controller
>> that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor
>> and a
>> second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this
>> matter.
>> Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
>

> Gee, if you can afford both, why not get the better one, just in case
> you might need it?

The real advantage of the second RAID controller is it expands your SATA
II capability to allow for larger drive arrays. You may have need to run
at seperate RAID levels, say 0 for the boot drives, and another more
redundant storage array for your important data. I really wish I had
multiple raids on my domain controller for instance, not that I would
get one of these for that purpose, but someone else might!

Dual gigabit networking isn't something that most home users are going
to need, but it does allow for some spiff options if you have a lot of
PCs, run a server, need load balancing, have both a public & private
network, need to bridge two NATs (though this is till a pain in the @*$&
sometimes). While those things are spiff, I expect the real reason that
they included it was because some people had objections & very real
problems with the Nvidia "Active Armor" firewall system (such as causing
network timeouts), and it gave you a handy way to bypass it with the
other PCIE GB network port. On an otherwise good chipset, the networking
portion was just flat out buggy in the early releases.

--Timbertea

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Nospam wrote:
> So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
> platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit adaptor
> and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID controller
> that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor and a
> second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
> Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

The nVidia RAID is better. It supports SATA II, the Silicon Image RAID
doesn't. I purchased the K8N Neo4 Ultra. Great motherboard.

The real question is whether or not you will do SLI?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:03:02 GMT, Randy
<aggie07@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>Nospam wrote:
>> So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
>> platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit adaptor
>> and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID controller
>> that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor and a
>> second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
>> Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>The nVidia RAID is better. It supports SATA II, the Silicon Image RAID
>doesn't. I purchased the K8N Neo4 Ultra. Great motherboard.
>
>The real question is whether or not you will do SLI?

There may be other concerns regarding the RAID.
For example, if the motherboard were to fail, the odds of
finding a compatible Silicon Image based PCI card are
better. That should always be a concern with
motherboard-integral raid, IMO - if the board fails how do
you get the data off? One can buy same generation of board
again but that's not always a desirable solution as (future
generation) boards often have other benefits and swapping a
board takes quite a bit longer than having a card in another
box already.

"Randy" <aggie07@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Nospam wrote:
>> So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
>> platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit
>> adaptor
>> and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID
>> controller
>> that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor
>> and a
>> second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this
>> matter.
>> Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> The nVidia RAID is better. It supports SATA II, the Silicon Image RAID
> doesn't. I purchased the K8N Neo4 Ultra. Great motherboard.
>
> The real question is whether or not you will do SLI?

Actually, it's WILL you want SLI before you upgrade your motherboard.