Heatsink tape with Sempron

I just bought a Sempron 2800+ in abox with heatsink and fan with an AMD seal
of approval on it.

The instruction leaflet says to repove the protective film from the heatsink
tape stuck to the bottom of the HS. Well there was none, instead there is a
protective plastic box covering the whole of the bottom of the HS. The
surface of the tape is tacky.

Is the HS tape still usable?

Should I use new compound from Maplin?

Cheers
John

Ian

Doctor John wrote:
> I just bought a Sempron 2800+ in abox with heatsink and fan with an AMD seal
> of approval on it.
>
> The instruction leaflet says to repove the protective film from the heatsink
> tape stuck to the bottom of the HS. Well there was none, instead there is a
> protective plastic box covering the whole of the bottom of the HS. The
> surface of the tape is tacky.
>
> Is the HS tape still usable?
>
> Should I use new compound from Maplin?
>
> Cheers
> John

Last time I looked at an AMD instruction leaflet it referred to two
possible types of packaging and said that the sink would either have
tape or a plastic cover, depending on.... well, pot luck I guess! Read
the sheet again?? ;-) Anyway, it's fine. Works quite well in fact, in
my experience. It will, however, peel off extremely easily, should you
want or need to apply an alternative compound. And yes, it is soft to
the touch straight out of the box.

Ian.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0522-6, 01/06/2005
Tested on: 01/06/2005 15:38:51

People on the NG will always say use artic sliver thermal paste, If your not
sure about about the status of the pad i would say, get the paste, Its not
worth the risk.

Doctor John wrote:
> I just bought a Sempron 2800+ in abox with heatsink and fan with an
> AMD seal of approval on it.
>
> The instruction leaflet says to repove the protective film from the
> heatsink tape stuck to the bottom of the HS. Well there was none,
> instead there is a protective plastic box covering the whole of the
> bottom of the HS. The surface of the tape is tacky.
>
> Is the HS tape still usable?

Yes. AMD changed from the tape to the box since people were not removing the
film and then complaining that their processors were dead and had plastic
melted all over them. It's fairly difficult to install the heatsink without
removing the plastic box (though I'm sure someone, somewhere has done it).
Obviously AMD has not updated the instructions that come with the CPU
though.

> Should I use new compound from Maplin?

As long as you haven't messed with the stuff that's on there it shouldn't be
necessary to replace it. If you've smeared it round a bit with your finger
or rubbed some off then it's probably a good idea to install fresh paste.
Small scratches or nicks out of the paste don't matter as it all gets
squished around a bit when you install the heatsink (though you ideally want
to have no air bubbles, the difference in temperature will not be
significant or probably even measureable).

--
Michael Brown
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

Thanks Guys - both of you.

That's what I love about newsgroups - you can get an answer WHY as well as
WHAT.
Although I'm tempted to use the tape, I have a friend who swears the Antec
silver paste is measurably better so I'll use his and then I have someone to
blame if it goes belly up!

Switch-on date is Monday, when the ebuyer.com board finally arrives.

Thanks again
John F

> Yes. AMD changed from the tape to the box since people were not removing
> the film and then complaining that their processors were dead and had
> plastic melted all over them. It's fairly difficult to install the
> heatsink without removing the plastic box (though I'm sure someone,
> somewhere has done it). Obviously AMD has not updated the instructions
> that come with the CPU though.

"Doctor John" <Dr_JohnSPAMSPAMbeansSPAM@altruists.org> wrote in message
>I just bought a Sempron 2800+ in abox with heatsink and fan with an AMD
>seal of approval on it.
>
> The instruction leaflet says to repove the protective film from the
> heatsink tape stuck to the bottom of the HS. Well there was none, instead
> there is a protective plastic box covering the whole of the bottom of the
> HS. The surface of the tape is tacky.
>
> Is the HS tape still usable?
>
> Should I use new compound from Maplin?

I read a .PDF on the AMD website saying to use paste on "capped" processors
(ones with a metal cap / heat spreader the size of the processor), and to
use the pads on the "small black box on a circuit board" type of processor.
If you do decide to replace it, make sure you get the right type.

Your pad is fine though. My Sempron 2500+ did not have the film, it too had
the plastic raised box thing, and it has not melted.

Bob

> Thanks Guys - both of you.
>
> That's what I love about newsgroups - you can get an answer WHY as well as
> WHAT.
> Although I'm tempted to use the tape, I have a friend who swears the Antec
> silver paste is measurably better so I'll use his and then I have someone
> to blame if it goes belly up!
>
> Switch-on date is Monday, when the ebuyer.com board finally arrives.
>
> Thanks again
> John F

Another thing I remember from the article is not to use metalised paste,
because it is electrically conductive....

OK, if you want some bedtime reading to fall asleep, here it is:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26951.pdf

Bob