Athlon 2800 with MSI 6378

Hello

I have a few questions

1) I have recently installed an AMD Athlon 2800+ on an MSI 6378. This
set-up is now providing me, in Win XP and at boot-up on the BIOS overview as
"Unknow CPU Type 1666+" (yes, the 'n' is missing). Do I need to fix this
up? If so, how?

2) The MSI 6378 supports 100MHz and 133Mhz CPU and the Athlon 2800+ has an
FSB of 333MHz. How ought I best set-up my system to make the most of this?

Many thanks,

Aaron

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 15:51:05 +1200, ajd wrote:

> 1) I have recently installed an AMD Athlon 2800+ on an MSI 6378. This
> set-up is now providing me, in Win XP and at boot-up on the BIOS overview as
> "Unknow CPU Type 1666+" (yes, the 'n' is missing). Do I need to fix this
> up? If so, how?

Makes you wonder about the bios writer when things like this go into it
doesn't it? But don't worry about. It just cosmetics, and it is an
unknown cpu since it's not running at a speed desginated to a known model.

>The MSI 6378 supports 100MHz and 133Mhz CPU and the Athlon 2800+ has
> an FSB of 333MHz. How ought I best set-up my system to make the most of
> this?

The 2800+ has a default FSB of 166MHz, not 333Mhz, but your board won't go
that high. If it has bios/jumper control of the FSB speed, you might get
it up about 145 if you're lucky. If you're in for some work, you could mod
the cpu into a mobile and that would unlock the multipliers,etc. Info here.

http://fab51.com/index-e.html

You got problems. Your motherboard doesn't support your CPU. First,the FSB
won't go high enough to run your CPU at it's default speed.Your CPU should
be running at 166(333) FSB.You're motherboards max FSB is 133(266). Second,
it doesn't run the correct voltage for your CPU. It's running CPU voltage
too high. That can cause overheating and lock ups.
You can find a cheap motherboard for that cpu in the $50-60 range or more
depending what you use your PC for. www.pricewach.com

ajd wrote:

" How ought I best set-up my system to make the most of this? "

The multiplier on your 2800+ is too low to get anywhere near full
performance on a motherboard that only supports CPUs with a 100MHz /
133MHz external bus speed.

I'd advise you to do one of two things:

1. Buy a Socket A motherboard that supports CPUs with a 166MHz external
bus speed.

2. Get an Athlon XP 2400+ from eBay, and then sell the 2800+ there.

Thanks to everyone for their help - I'll be out purchasing a new Motherboard
on Tuesday with the full support. I will just have to survive until then.

Many thanks