Kt7 overclocking (maybe Wes Newell may know ?)

jjbtnc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005

I’ve not had much luck searching so thought i’d start a new post.

I’ve seen loads of posts on various forums about using xp cpus in kt7
(not a) boards and managing to get some extra life out of the setup.
I’ve tried this with a mobile 2600 cpu (barton core i think) and it
has also worked. Only problem was that i had to do the pin mod to get
the higher multipliers rather than it working straight off from
dropping the cpu in even though mobile cpus are unlocked.
Anyway i’m running at 20x100 and i wanted to know how far i could push
this chip and what settings i would change. I’ll up the multi to 24
but I’ve also seen reports that i may be able to push the fsb to
116ish any further there are problems. What stops the fsb going higher
? Is it that the pci bus is being pushed to far - i presume that it’s
a third of the 116 so 38 for the pci bus might seem the max or is it a
problem with the memory being pushed to far -which would run at the
fsb of 116 i presume ?
If i do want to increase the fsb do i do this through the bios setting
’CPU FSB Plus (MHz):’ ? This setting seems perfect for increasing the
cpu fsb as it says it does it independantly but i have heard reports
(and sort of supported by an email i got from abit) that it doesn’t
actually do this independantly and that it will in fact affect other
settings such as the pci bus and memory.
Or can i try a few of the settings in the bios setting ’CPU FSB/PCI
Clock:’ ? There various settings in here so any worth trying ? I was
looking at the 136/34 setting but then realised that my memory would
be run at 136 and i think i only have pc100. I take it that even if
you have grade A top notch ram there still no chance of pc100 working
at pc133 speeds. Is there a chance of this cpu/pci setting of 136/34
setting working if i did have pc133 ?
otherwise there is a setting of 115/38 so i might go for this

Just as an after thought are there any programs that can tell how far
memory can be pushed ? Seems to be that you can push different makes
and quality of ram(even though the same default speed) at different
rates - any way of finding this out ?

Thanks for any help

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/AMD-Overclocking-Kt7-Wes-Newell-ftopict56977.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286460

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:38:11 -0400, jjbtnc wrote:

> I've not had much luck searching so thought i'd start a new post.
>
> I've seen loads of posts on various forums about using xp cpus in kt7
> (not a) boards and managing to get some extra life out of the setup.
> I've tried this with a mobile 2600 cpu (barton core i think) and it has
> also worked. Only problem was that i had to do the pin mod to get the
> higher multipliers rather than it working straight off from dropping the
> cpu in even though mobile cpus are unlocked. Anyway i'm running at
> 20x100 and i wanted to know how far i could push this chip and what
> settings i would change.

With luck, you could get 24x116 with enough vcore, but to play it safe,
I'd stay at the max I could get using 1.75v. That should be 2200-2400MHz.
The only settings you need to change are the multiplier and vcore.
See Multiplier Cross ref. in link in sig line to choose your multiplier.

> I'll up the multi to 24 but I've also seen reports that i may be able to
> push the fsb to 116ish any further there are problems. What stops the
> fsb going higher ? Is it that the pci bus is being pushed to far - i
> presume that it's a third of the 116 so 38 for the pci bus might seem
> the max or is it a problem with the memory being pushed to far -which
> would run at the fsb of 116 i presume ?

I'm not sure what stops it but I heard the lack of a 4 PCI divider does,
although using FSB Plus isn't supposed to add to the PCI clock. Max I got
was +16 though (on 2 boards) and it wasn't a ram problem as I used PC150
ram.

> If i do want to increase the fsb do i do this through the bios setting
> 'CPU FSB Plus (MHz):' ? This setting seems perfect for increasing the
> cpu fsb as it says it does it independantly but i have heard reports
> (and sort of supported by an email i got from abit) that it doesn't
> actually do this independantly and that it will in fact affect other
> settings such as the pci bus and memory.

I got the best results with this setting.

> Or can i try a few of the settings in the bios setting 'CPU FSB/PCI
> Clock:' ? There various settings in here so any worth trying ? I was
> looking at the 136/34 setting but then realised that my memory would be
> run at 136 and i think i only have pc100. I take it that even if you
> have grade A top notch ram there still no chance of pc100 working at
> pc133 speeds. Is there a chance of this cpu/pci setting of 136/34
> setting working if i did have pc133 ? otherwise there is a setting of
> 115/38 so i might go for this

I didn't have much luck here as the highest that worked was 115/whatever
and I could get 116 with the FSB plus.

> Just as an after thought are there any programs that can tell how far
> memory can be pushed ? Seems to be that you can push different makes and
> quality of ram(even though the same default speed) at different rates -
> any way of finding this out ?

None that I know other than trying it. It shouldn't be a big drawback
though. Just leave the ram at FSB clock only. I would think most PC100 ram
would do at least 116, but I wouldn't say for sure. You'll just have to
try and see.

jjbtnc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005

"Wes Newell" wrote:
> [...]
> 136/34
> > setting working if i did have pc133 ? otherwise there is a
> setting of
> > 115/38 so i might go for this
>
> I didn't have much luck here as the highest that worked was
> 115/whatever
> and I could get 116 with the FSB plus.
>
> > Just as an after thought are there any programs that can
> tell how far
> > memory can be pushed ? Seems to be that you can push
> different makes and
> > quality of ram(even though the same default speed) at
> different rates -
> > any way of finding this out ?
> >
> None that I know other than trying it. It shouldn't be a big
> drawback
> though. Just leave the ram at FSB clock only. I would think
> most PC100 ram
> would do at least 116, but I wouldn't say for sure. You'll

Cheers Wes for your info - a great help. I forgot to ask about the
vcore. I was going to ask what would be the highest vcore i should be
willing to go to to get things stable. You reccomend 1.75v - i wasn’t
sure how high i should go due to the fact i’m using a mobile cpu with
a default vcore of 1.45v (although it defaulted to 1.575 when i popped
her in)

Thanks again

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/AMD-Overclocking-Kt7-Wes-Newell-ftopict56977.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286993