Motherboards With Bad Caps Epidemic

While most people have known of the issue for some time, I sure didn't know
that a bootleg operation could be responsible for it. Interesting read.

"Philburg" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote

> While most people have known of the issue for some time, I sure didn't
> know that a bootleg operation could be responsible for it. Interesting
> read.

It's sure a new one on me, and I follow Tom's, Anand, etc.

I wonder how that poor scientist ended up? Maybe in exile.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> spam@uce.gov
> Thanks, robots.

More ammunition for a growing problem. I remember reading about the leaky
caps a couple years ago. Some were obviously failing very early. It looks
like the bilk of them have started failingin the last six months. I'm
wondering how large a problem this is going to be.

dawg wrote:
> Ed Light wrote:
>> http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html
>
> More ammunition for a growing problem. I remember reading about the
> leaky caps a couple years ago.

Do note, of course, that this article is from a bit of two years ago ;)

> Some were obviously failing very
> early. It looks like the bilk of them have started failingin the last
> six months. I'm wondering how large a problem this is going to be.

--
Michael Brown
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Michael Brown wrote:
> dawg wrote:
>
>>Ed Light wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html
>>
>>More ammunition for a growing problem. I remember reading about the
>>leaky caps a couple years ago.
>

> Do note, of course, that this article is from a bit of two years ago ;)

2-3 years ago I had a couple of MSI boards fails with symptoms that made
me suspect bad capaitors, though I couldn't see any obvious leakage. I
found it most cost-effective at the time to just replace the
motherboards with newer models, as they were out of warranty, and I
wasn't absolutely certain the caps were to blame.

And, as Michael notes, I have not seen much mention of the problem since.

But, a couple of weeks ago, my webserver/firewall/gateway machine (a VIA
c3 on a VIA C3M266 motherboard) after having run almost 2 years without
a glitch began spontaneously rebooting, and after a day or so was
rebooting about once a minute. When I opened it up, most of the 1000uF
caps showed bulging or leakage.

(Slightly more on topic) I checked out replacing it with an undervolted,
underclocked mobile Athlon or Athlon 64, but that was relatively
expensive, and would have ended up using more power and generating more
heat.

I replaced 27 capacitors and now it is running again.

Pete

>>Some were obviously failing very
>>early. It looks like the bilk of them have started failingin the last
>>six months. I'm wondering how large a problem this is going to be.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

Electronics engineers might like to note the bit about..

"capacitor's lifetimes are half or less of the 4000 hours of continuous
ripple current they are rated for."

4000 hours is only 166 days or about 6 months if left on 24/7.

"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote

> Electronics engineers might like to note the bit about..
>
> "capacitor's lifetimes are half or less of the 4000 hours of continuous
> ripple current they are rated for."
>
> 4000 hours is only 166 days or about 6 months if left on 24/7.

I've got to think it was a typo.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:41:52 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

> "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote
>>
>> Electronics engineers might like to note the bit about..
>>
>> "capacitor's lifetimes are half or less of the 4000 hours of continuous
>> ripple current they are rated for."
>>
>> 4000 hours is only 166 days or about 6 months if left on 24/7.
>>
> I've got to think it was a typo.

yep, I've got an old 486 novell server that's been running 24/7 for about
12 years now.:)

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:41:52 -0700, Ed Light wrote:
>

>>"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote
>>
>>>Electronics engineers might like to note the bit about..
>>>
>>>"capacitor's lifetimes are half or less of the 4000 hours of continuous
>>>ripple current they are rated for."
>>>
>>>4000 hours is only 166 days or about 6 months if left on 24/7.
>>>

>>I've got to think it was a typo.
>

> yep, I've got an old 486 novell server that's been running 24/7 for about
> 12 years now.:)

Actually, they are more often rated at 1000-2000 hours. The ratings
assume max temperature and high ripple, and guarantee that the
capacitance will not drop more than some percentage during that time.

On a motherboard at lower temps with smaller ripple they last much
longer, maybe even 12 years. :)

There are also generally enough capacitors so that some decrease in
total capacitance is acceptable.

Pete

I wish they would just use mylar caps and charge more.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> spam@uce.gov
> Thanks, robots.

That is old news, remember reading it when it came out in January 2003. I
have repaired 4 dual pentium3 motherboards, some twice and tossed 3 others.
I still have 3 alton and pc chips dual P3 running that have virtually all
new caps. I quickly found out about those bad CAPS when I built up my SETI
farm. Got about 78K work units. The real problem motherboards were alton
and pc chips.

Beemer Biker joestateson@grandecom.net
http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT
http://TipsForTheComputingImpaired.com

> > 4000 hours is only 166 days or about 6 months if left on 24/7.
> >
> I've got to think it was a typo.

Nope. You have to derate them - use a bigger capacitor so that it's not
operating at it's max ripple current, voltage and temperature all the time.
Just one of those real world things that newly qualified electronics
engineers can miss - after all a capacitor is just a capacitor right? Watch
out for the capacitors in cheap power supplies.

"Beemer Biker" <joestateson@grandecom.net> wrote
> That is old news

> The real problem motherboards were alton
> and pc chips.

Due to some pc's not being run alot, they are still failing today, and
included Gigabyte, IBM, Abit, etc.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote
>> I've got to think it was a typo.
>
> Nope. You have to derate them - use a bigger capacitor

Can they use mylar instead? Or would it be way too expensive?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

> "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote
> >> I've got to think it was a typo.
> >
> > Nope. You have to derate them - use a bigger capacitor
>
> Can they use mylar instead? Or would it be way too expensive?

Too big as well.