80mm 92mm 120 mm fan mounting spacing

How far apart are the mounting holes on a 92mm case fan?

I have a case that is advertized to accept an 80mm or a 120mm fan on the
rear exhaust vent. I accidentally ordered a 92mm fan instead. I didn't
notice until it was too late (it laready shipped). Am I going to need an
adapter? If so, - Well, I see all sorts of 92 to 80mm adapters out there.
I can't seem to find a 92mm to 120mm adapter any where. Is there such a
thing?
14 answers Last reply
More about 80mm 92mm mounting spacing

    You can tape it on.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light wrote:
    > You can tape it on.

    Though I'm a firm beleiver in mystic abilities of baling wire and duct tape,
    I do happen to own a drill and a dremmel tool. Knowing the distance between
    the mounting holes would help me make a decision between modding and
    ordering another fan. If the 92mm is not suitable for my purpose, it will
    find a home on one of my SLK-800s and I'll order a 120. Any idea what the
    distance between the mounting holes is either diagonally, horizontally, or
    vertically on a standard 92mm fan?

    If the case takes 80 and 120, 90 being in between, I'd guess that you can
    make holes for it. You can stand it off on rubber grommets too, or use one
    of those vibration-damping gaskets.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    twobirds wrote:
    > Ed Light wrote:
    >
    >>You can tape it on.
    >

    > Though I'm a firm beleiver in mystic abilities of baling wire and duct tape,
    > I do happen to own a drill and a dremmel tool. Knowing the distance between
    > the mounting holes would help me make a decision between modding and
    > ordering another fan. If the 92mm is not suitable for my purpose, it will
    > find a home on one of my SLK-800s and I'll order a 120. Any idea what the
    > distance between the mounting holes is either diagonally, horizontally, or
    > vertically on a standard 92mm fan?

    According to the Farnell website (a large electronic component supplier
    in the UK) the fixing centres for 92mm fans are 71.5mm apart. See
    http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=149426&N=401
    for details.

    twobirds wrote:

    " How far apart are the mounting holes on a 92mm case fan? "

    I typed the words *80mm 92mm fan adapter* in to Google and it magically
    brought up this: http://tinyurl.com/9cnw8

    Cuzman wrote:
    > twobirds wrote:
    >
    > " How far apart are the mounting holes on a 92mm case fan? "
    >

    > I typed the words *80mm 92mm fan adapter* in to Google and it
    > magically brought up this: http://tinyurl.com/9cnw8

    Looking for a 92 to 120. There is one that is 120 to 92, but it won't suit
    my purpose

    "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
    > Cuzman wrote:
    >> twobirds wrote:
    >>
    >> " How far apart are the mounting holes on a 92mm case fan? "
    >>

    >> I typed the words *80mm 92mm fan adapter* in to Google and it
    >> magically brought up this: http://tinyurl.com/9cnw8
    >
    > Looking for a 92 to 120. There is one that is 120 to 92, but it won't
    > suit
    > my purpose

    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_3748.html
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
    > Cuzman wrote:
    >> twobirds wrote:
    >>
    >> " How far apart are the mounting holes on a 92mm case fan? "
    >>

    >> I typed the words *80mm 92mm fan adapter* in to Google and it
    >> magically brought up this: http://tinyurl.com/9cnw8
    >
    > Looking for a 92 to 120. There is one that is 120 to 92, but it won't
    > suit
    > my purpose

    http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_pc-look-Adaptateur-Ventilateur-092-120-mm-Bleu-Translucide__2361_en.html?language=en
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > Nymshifting isn't cool, either. Pick a nym and stick with it, you silly
    > sod.

    Ammmm, when you get really good and pissed,
    what language do you speak?

    I'm just a curious lurker, try to understand the above.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Gary C wrote:
    > "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Nymshifting isn't cool, either. Pick a nym and stick with it, you
    >> silly sod.
    >>

    > Ammmm, when you get really good and pissed,
    > what language do you speak?

    Pissed as in drunk - or pissed as in angry? It makes a difference. I have
    a handful of Americanisms that express anger or frustration quite well.
    Somehow, I start spouting Greek or German when I've had too much to drink.

    > I'm just a curious lurker, try to understand the above.

    I do.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > Gary C wrote:
    >> "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Nymshifting isn't cool, either. Pick a nym and stick with it, you
    >>> silly sod.
    >>>

    >> Ammmm, when you get really good and pissed,
    >> what language do you speak?
    >
    > Pissed as in drunk - or pissed as in angry? It makes a difference. I
    > have
    > a handful of Americanisms that express anger or frustration quite well.

    Pissed = angry.
    Drunk = http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=drunk

    > Somehow, I start spouting Greek or German when I've had too much to drink.

    Greek or German? Is it one or the other, or are you not sure which?

    >> I'm just a curious lurker, try to understand the above.
    >
    > I do.

    You've been blessed then :-)

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Gary C wrote:
    > "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
    >> Gary C wrote:
    >>> "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message

    >>> Ammmm, when you get really good and pissed,
    >>> what language do you speak?
    >>
    >> Pissed as in drunk - or pissed as in angry? It makes a difference.
    >> I have
    >> a handful of Americanisms that express anger or frustration quite
    >> well.
    >
    > Pissed = angry.
    > Drunk = http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=drunk

    Pissed = Drunk
    http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/britishcanadianamericanvocabp.html
    about half way down the page.

    >> Somehow, I start spouting Greek or German when I've had too much to
    >> drink.
    >>

    > Greek or German? Is it one or the other, or are you not sure which?

    Depends on what I drank and how much. I speak 11 languages. I lived in
    Greece for 3 years and Germany for two. My internal monologue tends to be
    in either Greek or German as often as my native tongue.

    >>> I'm just a curious lurker, try to understand the above.
    >>
    >> I do.
    >
    > You've been blessed then :-)

    More than you know.

    The real question was probably about the word "nymshifting". That word is
    specific to usenet. If this were IRC, the name one uses would be their
    "Nick". If this were the www, it would be one's "Screen Name". On usenet,
    it is one's "Nym". Nymshifting is the act of changing one's name or other
    header details to avoid other people's kill filters (also known to most
    people using unix based news readers such as PAN as the "Bozo Bin"). I
    noticed the headers of the nymshifter before and made mention that
    nymshifting is not a good thing.

    There. That should clear it up.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Ed Light wrote:
    > If the case takes 80 and 120, 90 being in between, I'd guess that you
    > can make holes for it. You can stand it off on rubber grommets too,
    > or use one of those vibration-damping gaskets.

    As it turns out, the mounting hole spacing for a 92 and 120 are the same. A
    120 mm fan has a thinner cage to accomodate the larger blades and the holes
    are set closer to the inner part of the corners. The 92 mm has a slightly
    thicker cage and the holes are set more towards the outer portion of each
    corner - thus making the mounting spacing identicle. I can't say that this
    would hold true through all manufacturers, but I am currently in possession
    of two 92s made by Panflo and a couple of 120s made by Sanyo Denki. I also
    have a grille for a 120 and a grille for a 92. They are the same.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > Pissed = Drunk
    > http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/britishcanadianamericanvocabp.html
    > about half way down the page.

    Now better educated here I sit. Thanks, I'll make use of this URL!

    > The real question was probably about the word "nymshifting". That word is
    > specific to usenet. If this were IRC, the name one uses would be their
    > "Nick". If this were the www, it would be one's "Screen Name". On
    > usenet,
    > it is one's "Nym". Nymshifting is the act of changing one's name or other
    > header details to avoid other people's kill filters (also known to most
    > people using unix based news readers such as PAN as the "Bozo Bin"). I
    > noticed the headers of the nymshifter before and made mention that
    > nymshifting is not a good thing.
    >
    > There. That should clear it up.

    Yes it does. Interesting.

AMD Overclocking Hardware Cases Fan