80mm 92mm 120 mm fan mounting spacing

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2005 11:53:06 PM

How far apart are the mounting holes on a 92mm case fan?

I have a case that is advertized to accept an 80mm or a 120mm fan on the
rear exhaust vent. I accidentally ordered a 92mm fan instead. I didn't
notice until it was too late (it laready shipped). Am I going to need an
adapter? If so, - Well, I see all sorts of 92 to 80mm adapters out there.
I can't seem to find a 92mm to 120mm adapter any where. Is there such a
thing?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2005 12:25:57 AM

You can tape it on.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2005 2:36:13 AM

Ed Light wrote:
> You can tape it on.

Though I'm a firm beleiver in mystic abilities of baling wire and duct tape,
I do happen to own a drill and a dremmel tool. Knowing the distance between
the mounting holes would help me make a decision between modding and
ordering another fan. If the 92mm is not suitable for my purpose, it will
find a home on one of my SLK-800s and I'll order a 120. Any idea what the
distance between the mounting holes is either diagonally, horizontally, or
vertically on a standard 92mm fan?
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2005 2:58:18 AM

If the case takes 80 and 120, 90 being in between, I'd guess that you can
make holes for it. You can stand it off on rubber grommets too, or use one
of those vibration-damping gaskets.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
June 21, 2005 3:40:20 PM

twobirds wrote:
> Ed Light wrote:
>
>>You can tape it on.
>

> Though I'm a firm beleiver in mystic abilities of baling wire and duct tape,
> I do happen to own a drill and a dremmel tool. Knowing the distance between
> the mounting holes would help me make a decision between modding and
> ordering another fan. If the 92mm is not suitable for my purpose, it will
> find a home on one of my SLK-800s and I'll order a 120. Any idea what the
> distance between the mounting holes is either diagonally, horizontally, or
> vertically on a standard 92mm fan?

According to the Farnell website (a large electronic component supplier
in the UK) the fixing centres for 92mm fans are 71.5mm apart. See
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?S...
for details.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2005 4:46:41 PM

twobirds wrote:

" How far apart are the mounting holes on a 92mm case fan? "

I typed the words *80mm 92mm fan adapter* in to Google and it magically
brought up this: http://tinyurl.com/9cnw8
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2005 9:21:32 PM

Cuzman wrote:
> twobirds wrote:
>
> " How far apart are the mounting holes on a 92mm case fan? "
>

> I typed the words *80mm 92mm fan adapter* in to Google and it
> magically brought up this: http://tinyurl.com/9cnw8

Looking for a 92 to 120. There is one that is 120 to 92, but it won't suit
my purpose
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2005 7:24:54 AM

"twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
> Cuzman wrote:
>> twobirds wrote:
>>
>> " How far apart are the mounting holes on a 92mm case fan? "
>>

>> I typed the words *80mm 92mm fan adapter* in to Google and it
>> magically brought up this: http://tinyurl.com/9cnw8
>
> Looking for a 92 to 120. There is one that is 120 to 92, but it won't
> suit
> my purpose

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_3748.html
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2005 7:25:37 AM

"twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
> Cuzman wrote:
>> twobirds wrote:
>>
>> " How far apart are the mounting holes on a 92mm case fan? "
>>

>> I typed the words *80mm 92mm fan adapter* in to Google and it
>> magically brought up this: http://tinyurl.com/9cnw8
>
> Looking for a 92 to 120. There is one that is 120 to 92, but it won't
> suit
> my purpose

http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_pc-look-Adaptateur-V...
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2005 7:32:50 AM

> Nymshifting isn't cool, either. Pick a nym and stick with it, you silly
> sod.

Ammmm, when you get really good and pissed,
what language do you speak?

I'm just a curious lurker, try to understand the above.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2005 9:31:27 PM

Gary C wrote:
> "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Nymshifting isn't cool, either. Pick a nym and stick with it, you
>> silly sod.
>>

> Ammmm, when you get really good and pissed,
> what language do you speak?

Pissed as in drunk - or pissed as in angry? It makes a difference. I have
a handful of Americanisms that express anger or frustration quite well.
Somehow, I start spouting Greek or German when I've had too much to drink.

> I'm just a curious lurker, try to understand the above.

I do.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2005 7:41:58 AM

> Gary C wrote:
>> "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Nymshifting isn't cool, either. Pick a nym and stick with it, you
>>> silly sod.
>>>

>> Ammmm, when you get really good and pissed,
>> what language do you speak?
>
> Pissed as in drunk - or pissed as in angry? It makes a difference. I
> have
> a handful of Americanisms that express anger or frustration quite well.

Pissed = angry.
Drunk = http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=drunk

> Somehow, I start spouting Greek or German when I've had too much to drink.

Greek or German? Is it one or the other, or are you not sure which?

>> I'm just a curious lurker, try to understand the above.
>
> I do.

You've been blessed then :-)

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2005 7:41:59 AM

Gary C wrote:
> "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
>> Gary C wrote:
>>> "twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message

>>> Ammmm, when you get really good and pissed,
>>> what language do you speak?
>>
>> Pissed as in drunk - or pissed as in angry? It makes a difference.
>> I have
>> a handful of Americanisms that express anger or frustration quite
>> well.
>
> Pissed = angry.
> Drunk = http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=drunk

Pissed = Drunk
http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/britishcanadian...
about half way down the page.

>> Somehow, I start spouting Greek or German when I've had too much to
>> drink.
>>

> Greek or German? Is it one or the other, or are you not sure which?

Depends on what I drank and how much. I speak 11 languages. I lived in
Greece for 3 years and Germany for two. My internal monologue tends to be
in either Greek or German as often as my native tongue.

>>> I'm just a curious lurker, try to understand the above.
>>
>> I do.
>
> You've been blessed then :-)

More than you know.

The real question was probably about the word "nymshifting". That word is
specific to usenet. If this were IRC, the name one uses would be their
"Nick". If this were the www, it would be one's "Screen Name". On usenet,
it is one's "Nym". Nymshifting is the act of changing one's name or other
header details to avoid other people's kill filters (also known to most
people using unix based news readers such as PAN as the "Bozo Bin"). I
noticed the headers of the nymshifter before and made mention that
nymshifting is not a good thing.

There. That should clear it up.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2005 7:56:16 PM

Ed Light wrote:
> If the case takes 80 and 120, 90 being in between, I'd guess that you
> can make holes for it. You can stand it off on rubber grommets too,
> or use one of those vibration-damping gaskets.

As it turns out, the mounting hole spacing for a 92 and 120 are the same. A
120 mm fan has a thinner cage to accomodate the larger blades and the holes
are set closer to the inner part of the corners. The 92 mm has a slightly
thicker cage and the holes are set more towards the outer portion of each
corner - thus making the mounting spacing identicle. I can't say that this
would hold true through all manufacturers, but I am currently in possession
of two 92s made by Panflo and a couple of 120s made by Sanyo Denki. I also
have a grille for a 120 and a grille for a 92. They are the same.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2005 5:59:57 AM

> Pissed = Drunk
> http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/britishcanadian...
> about half way down the page.

Now better educated here I sit. Thanks, I'll make use of this URL!

> The real question was probably about the word "nymshifting". That word is
> specific to usenet. If this were IRC, the name one uses would be their
> "Nick". If this were the www, it would be one's "Screen Name". On
> usenet,
> it is one's "Nym". Nymshifting is the act of changing one's name or other
> header details to avoid other people's kill filters (also known to most
> people using unix based news readers such as PAN as the "Bozo Bin"). I
> noticed the headers of the nymshifter before and made mention that
> nymshifting is not a good thing.
>
> There. That should clear it up.

Yes it does. Interesting.
!