Venice A64 939 runs super cool?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I heard that the 90 nm A64 parts run cool, but I didn't expect this.
Motherboard monitor and the MSI util 'Core Centre' both report idle CPU
temps lower than or equal to the case temp, typically around 20-25
degrees. Granted its winter here and room temps are usually around 17
degrees. Cool 'n' quiet is not enabled. Temps are only a few degrees
higher under load.

MSI Neo2 with Venice 939@2400Mhz.
Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF (Cold to the touch)

Is this what other people are seeing?

Looks like the system and cpu temps are reversed.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Ed Light wrote:
> Looks like the system and cpu temps are reversed.

Yes, but they are not. Under load the CPU temp climbs above the case
temp by a few degrees. A very cool CPU. The HSF is cold to the touch,
even with the fan cranked down to half speed.

"Chris" <chrisr@es.co.nz> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Ed Light wrote:
>> Looks like the system and cpu temps are reversed.
>>

> Yes, but they are not. Under load the CPU temp climbs above the case temp
> by a few degrees. A very cool CPU. The HSF is cold to the touch, even
> with the fan cranked down to half speed.

My Athlon64 3000+ venice runs cool also when oveclocked from 1800 to 2500Mhz
with a +0.1V Vcore.
Idle temperature is about 34 °C and after a 3dmark2005 session it reach 44
°C.
Actually the ambient temperature in my home is 28-29 °C. Time to switch on
conditioned air. Uff

Alias

what board you running with that 64 3000???

"Chris" <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> Ed Light wrote:
>> Looks like the system and cpu temps are reversed.
>>

> Yes, but they are not. Under load the CPU temp climbs above the case temp
> by a few degrees. A very cool CPU. The HSF is cold to the touch, even
> with the fan cranked down to half speed.
The only way the CPU temp can be less than the system/case temp is there has
to be something creating lots of heat very near the case temp sensor.
We're all on the same page that there's no air cooling that can make the CPU
temp lower than it's 'ambient' - yes?

"fj" <jelenko@att.net> wrote

> We're all on the same page that there's no air cooling that can make the
> CPU temp lower than it's 'ambient' - yes?

Yes, here.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

fj wrote:
> "Chris" <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>
>>Ed Light wrote:
>>
>>>Looks like the system and cpu temps are reversed.
>>>

>>Yes, but they are not. Under load the CPU temp climbs above the case temp
>>by a few degrees. A very cool CPU. The HSF is cold to the touch, even
>>with the fan cranked down to half speed.
>
> The only way the CPU temp can be less than the system/case temp is there has
> to be something creating lots of heat very near the case temp sensor.
> We're all on the same page that there's no air cooling that can make the CPU
> temp lower than it's 'ambient' - yes?

Well, forced convection, aka wind chill is what cools the cpu below the
case temperature. This is only possible because the 90nm parts run so
cool in the first place. Once the CPU is under load its temperature
climbs above the case temperature.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

> Well, forced convection, aka wind chill is what cools the cpu below the
> case temperature. This is only possible because the 90nm parts run so
> cool in the first place. Once the CPU is under load its temperature
> climbs above the case temperature.

and the action of the cpu fan pulls in outside air which is cooler than
the ambient in the case.