Massive overheating problem with a XP 2000+

I have just got an XP2000+ along with a Abit KD7 raid mobo and the
temperatures are rather alarming, Motherboard Monitor is quoting
temperatures of a case temp of 47 and CPU idle temps of ~50c and under
load temps of 95c. Current drivers for everything are installed.

The Bios quotes a surface temperature 65 and a core temp of 85 after
resetting after full load.

This is using a copper heatpipe Coolermaster heatsink which has
previously been used on a Duron 1600 and a Athlon XP2500+ Barton on a
Abit KT7a & MSI K7N2 Delta with a pretty much constant 60C even when
the 2500 was overclocked to 3200.

Other coolers have been used with the same result, and the spread of
the HS compound when the HSF was removed indicates a good contact
between CPU and HSF.

System:

Windows XP Pro
Athlon XP 2000+
Abit KD7-RAID mobo
512meg RAM, PC2100
Radeon 7200 DDR VIVO
4x40gig HDs
CD-RW & DVD-RW

CPU details are:

AX2000 DMT3C
AGIA 0230WPHW

ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
(Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

Are you using a case fan?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:00:08 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
wrote:

>Are you using a case fan?
Yes, 3 in the same full tower case where 1 was sufficeint before.
--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
(Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

Maybe an old one,but did you place the hsf correctly on the cpu+socket?
If the other way around it still fits,but does not make full contact with
the die resulting in high case and cpu temps.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:34:00 +0200, "Flow" <flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote:

>Maybe an old one,but did you place the hsf correctly on the cpu+socket?
>If the other way around it still fits,but does not make full contact with
>the die resulting in high case and cpu temps.

yes, I've replaced it numerous times with no success, I'm wondering if
the 2000 is particularly prone to heat or the bios reading is
incorrect....

"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:34:00 +0200, "Flow" <flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
> >Maybe an old one,but did you place the hsf correctly on the cpu+socket?
> >If the other way around it still fits,but does not make full contact with
> >the die resulting in high case and cpu temps.
>
> yes, I've replaced it numerous times with no success, I'm wondering if
> the 2000 is particularly prone to heat or the bios reading is
> incorrect....

My 2000+ runs around 37C pretty consistently. It may "surge" into the
low-40's under load, but I've never hit 50C except when I ran the Prime95
torture test and got 54C. I'm using a Thermalright SLK800.

Bill G

"Bill G" <rbatty00@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> "Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:34:00 +0200, "Flow" <flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> >
> > >Maybe an old one,but did you place the hsf correctly on the cpu+socket?
> > >If the other way around it still fits,but does not make full contact
with
> > >the die resulting in high case and cpu temps.
> >
> > yes, I've replaced it numerous times with no success, I'm wondering if
> > the 2000 is particularly prone to heat or the bios reading is
> > incorrect....
>
> My 2000+ runs around 37C pretty consistently. It may "surge" into the
> low-40's under load, but I've never hit 50C except when I ran the Prime95
> torture test and got 54C. I'm using a Thermalright SLK800.
>

> Bill G
>

>I had an xp2000 palomino and it ran between 46C. and 54C. with a
coolermaster silent hsf made out of aluminium @ 2500rpm.
The tbreds run cooler.The jump in cpu temp is not good,you should try to
feel with your finger if the heatsink gets hot or stays cool when your temp
goes over 90C. The difference between case and cpu temp should never be more
then 15C. under full load.
Maybe you got this chip second hand and it's defective?

> > >"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> schreef in bericht

> > --
> > ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
> > systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
> > Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
> > (Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

That load temp is way too high for that. I'm going to say that your fan
isn't good enough. Duron's and barton cores run cooler than your current
cpu. That just isn't right, thats prescott temps. It's possible your bios
is reading it wrong, check for a newer bios that may correct this?

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:11:05 GMT, "Philburg" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>That load temp is way too high for that. I'm going to say that your fan
>isn't good enough. Duron's and barton cores run cooler than your current
>cpu. That just isn't right, thats prescott temps. It's possible your bios
>is reading it wrong, check for a newer bios that may correct this?

I tried the chip and HSF on another motherboard, a MSI K7n2 Delta and
the temps were a lot better, 45under load for the CPU.

Putting it back in the KD7 machine it now runs at 40 idle /55 under
load which is a lot better but the system temp is now usually 5
degrees over the CPU temp!

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
(Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

If your system temp is that high, you got bad issues with circulation. Take
the side panel off and blow a fan in there, see if that drops the system
temp considerably.
If it does, well you need to rethink the case flow. If it doesn't, then I
wouldn't worry about it.

Luke Curtis wrote:

> Putting it back in the KD7 machine it now runs at 40 idle /55 under
> load which is a lot better but the system temp is now usually 5
> degrees over the CPU temp!

I had a situation where MBM had read system as CPU and visa versa. That
could be why your "system" temp is higher than "CPU". But if those
readings are from the correct source you've got to improve your airflow
through the case. Try running with the side panel off and see if that
improves the "system" temp.

--
FRH

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>I have just got an XP2000+ along with a Abit KD7 raid mobo and the
> temperatures are rather alarming, Motherboard Monitor is quoting
> temperatures of a case temp of 47 and CPU idle temps of ~50c and under
> load temps of 95c. Current drivers for everything are installed.
>
> The Bios quotes a surface temperature 65 and a core temp of 85 after
> resetting after full load.
>
> This is using a copper heatpipe Coolermaster heatsink which has
> previously been used on a Duron 1600 and a Athlon XP2500+ Barton on a
> Abit KT7a & MSI K7N2 Delta with a pretty much constant 60C even when
> the 2500 was overclocked to 3200.
>
> Other coolers have been used with the same result, and the spread of
> the HS compound when the HSF was removed indicates a good contact
> between CPU and HSF.
>
> System:
>
> Windows XP Pro
> Athlon XP 2000+
> Abit KD7-RAID mobo
> 512meg RAM, PC2100
> Radeon 7200 DDR VIVO
> 4x40gig HDs
> CD-RW & DVD-RW
>

> CPU details are:
>
> AX2000 DMT3C
> AGIA 0230WPHW
> 91545930695

Biggest question is what are you using for a thermal compound? Also what
type of fan is on your heatsink and what RPM is it running at.. MBM should
be able to tell you this.. I'd reccommend Artic Sliver 5 and a good fan on
your heatsink with at least 30-40 cfm of airflow.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 03:18:32 GMT, "Chuck" <chuck_les_@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>I have just got an XP2000+ along with a Abit KD7 raid mobo and the
>> temperatures are rather alarming, Motherboard Monitor is quoting
>> temperatures of a case temp of 47 and CPU idle temps of ~50c and under
>> load temps of 95c. Current drivers for everything are installed.
>>
>> The Bios quotes a surface temperature 65 and a core temp of 85 after
>> resetting after full load.
>>
>> This is using a copper heatpipe Coolermaster heatsink which has
>> previously been used on a Duron 1600 and a Athlon XP2500+ Barton on a
>> Abit KT7a & MSI K7N2 Delta with a pretty much constant 60C even when
>> the 2500 was overclocked to 3200.
>>
>> Other coolers have been used with the same result, and the spread of
>> the HS compound when the HSF was removed indicates a good contact
>> between CPU and HSF.
>>
>> System:
>>
>> Windows XP Pro
>> Athlon XP 2000+
>> Abit KD7-RAID mobo
>> 512meg RAM, PC2100
>> Radeon 7200 DDR VIVO
>> 4x40gig HDs
>> CD-RW & DVD-RW
>>

>> CPU details are:
>>
>> AX2000 DMT3C
>> AGIA 0230WPHW
>> 91545930695
>>

>Biggest question is what are you using for a thermal compound? Also what
>type of fan is on your heatsink and what RPM is it running at.. MBM should
>be able to tell you this.. I'd reccommend Artic Sliver 5 and a good fan on
>your heatsink with at least 30-40 cfm of airflow.

exacty the same case, case HSF, same fans, same type of compound, only
the mobo and CPU changed from the Duron 1600.

-