Tim

64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid drivers,
without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a bit premature.
I know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it be fully
utilized? Does anyone care to predict how long until software/OS developers
make the complete transition? Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will
there be a special 64bit version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now) All
thoughts appreciated.

Tim wrote:
> 64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
> everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid drivers,
> without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a bit premature.

Build it and they will come :)

Actually, there are a lot of enterprise 64 bit applications. I think you
will see 64 bit video cards soon.

> I know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it be fully
> utilized? Does anyone care to predict how long until software/OS developers
> make the complete transition?

They are doing it now for the competitive advantage. In the server
market these CPUs are awesome since they have a large addressable memory
space.

Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will
> there be a special 64bit version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now) All
> thoughts appreciated.

From what I heard, XP Pro 64 bit is a definite improvement over normal
XP Pro. I haven't tested it out. I have tried SUSE Linux and it works
well on AMD 64.

Tim

"William Bathurst" <william.bathurst@nospam.net> wrote in message

> Actually, there are a lot of enterprise 64 bit applications. I think you
> will see 64 bit video cards soon.

Are you referring to 64 bit video drivers? I thought video hardware was
already using at least 64 bit architecture.

> They are doing it now for the competitive advantage. In the server market
> these CPUs are awesome since they have a large addressable memory space.

What's the memory limit?

> From what I heard, XP Pro 64 bit is a definite improvement over normal XP
> Pro. I haven't tested it out. I have tried SUSE Linux and it works well on
> AMD 64.

SUSE Linux is a 64 bit OS? If so, have you compared it with 32 bit Linux?
And if so how does it feel different?

Thanks for the info!