The future of CPU technology

64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid drivers,
without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a bit premature.
I know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it be fully
utilized? Does anyone care to predict how long until software/OS developers
make the complete transition? Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will
there be a special 64bit version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now) All
thoughts appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about future technology

    Tim wrote:
    > 64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
    > everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid drivers,
    > without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a bit premature.

    Build it and they will come :-)

    Actually, there are a lot of enterprise 64 bit applications. I think you
    will see 64 bit video cards soon.

    > I know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it be fully
    > utilized? Does anyone care to predict how long until software/OS developers
    > make the complete transition?

    They are doing it now for the competitive advantage. In the server
    market these CPUs are awesome since they have a large addressable memory
    space.

    Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will
    > there be a special 64bit version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now) All
    > thoughts appreciated.

    From what I heard, XP Pro 64 bit is a definite improvement over normal
    XP Pro. I haven't tested it out. I have tried SUSE Linux and it works
    well on AMD 64.

    "William Bathurst" <william.bathurst@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > Actually, there are a lot of enterprise 64 bit applications. I think you
    > will see 64 bit video cards soon.

    Are you referring to 64 bit video drivers? I thought video hardware was
    already using at least 64 bit architecture.

    > They are doing it now for the competitive advantage. In the server market
    > these CPUs are awesome since they have a large addressable memory space.

    What's the memory limit?

    > From what I heard, XP Pro 64 bit is a definite improvement over normal XP
    > Pro. I haven't tested it out. I have tried SUSE Linux and it works well on
    > AMD 64.

    SUSE Linux is a 64 bit OS? If so, have you compared it with 32 bit Linux?
    And if so how does it feel different?

    Thanks for the info!

AMD Overclocking