printer prints a double image

when i print on my Epson laser printer, i get a very faint image
further down the page of what is really printed on the page. in other
words, it looks almost as if i'm seeing double.

does this usually mean i need to clean the drum, or does it mean i
have to clean a component that is part of the actual printer? maybe
the printer itself is just nearing it's death?

please help me diagnose.

thanks

There are a number of possible causes.

The ghost printing can be caused at the drum or at the fuser.

Using a wrong toner formulation can cause this, as it may cling to the
fuser if the temperature/fusing range could be wrong for the printer.
The fuser could be worn (most are teflon coated, and if the surface is
picking up toner and may create a ghost image). Usually, the fuser
roller is smaller in diameter than the optical drum, so you need to try
to determine how much space between the repeated ghost image is. If it
is the diameter of the fuser roller, the problem is that, if the problem
reveals as ghosting at the diameter of the optical image drum.

The problems with the drum can be several also. It can a worn or
misadjusted drum wiper (it's a rubberized blade that wipes the drum
clean after it has printed the first part of the image but before it is
re-energized and coated in toner for the second turn). If this gets
worn, heat damaged, misaligned, etc, the extra toner doesn't all get
removed. Other causes are a worn drum with microscratches in it holding
some toner, or the corona wires or on some units, decharging lamp are
dirty (often covered with toner powder) so the excess toner remains
charged and stuck to the drum.

If your model is using a complete toner cartridge and it has been
refilled many times, the drum wiper may be too worn, or the drum may be
overly scratched. These cartridges can often be rebuilt.

Art