printer prints a double image

when i print on my Epson laser printer, i get a very faint image
further down the page of what is really printed on the page. in other
words, it looks almost as if i'm seeing double.

does this usually mean i need to clean the drum, or does it mean i
have to clean a component that is part of the actual printer? maybe
the printer itself is just nearing it's death?

please help me diagnose.

thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about printer prints double image

    There are a number of possible causes.

    The ghost printing can be caused at the drum or at the fuser.

    Using a wrong toner formulation can cause this, as it may cling to the
    fuser if the temperature/fusing range could be wrong for the printer.
    The fuser could be worn (most are teflon coated, and if the surface is
    picking up toner and may create a ghost image). Usually, the fuser
    roller is smaller in diameter than the optical drum, so you need to try
    to determine how much space between the repeated ghost image is. If it
    is the diameter of the fuser roller, the problem is that, if the problem
    reveals as ghosting at the diameter of the optical image drum.

    The problems with the drum can be several also. It can a worn or
    misadjusted drum wiper (it's a rubberized blade that wipes the drum
    clean after it has printed the first part of the image but before it is
    re-energized and coated in toner for the second turn). If this gets
    worn, heat damaged, misaligned, etc, the extra toner doesn't all get
    removed. Other causes are a worn drum with microscratches in it holding
    some toner, or the corona wires or on some units, decharging lamp are
    dirty (often covered with toner powder) so the excess toner remains
    charged and stuck to the drum.

    If your model is using a complete toner cartridge and it has been
    refilled many times, the drum wiper may be too worn, or the drum may be
    overly scratched. These cartridges can often be rebuilt.

    Art

    drlim wrote:

    > when i print on my Epson laser printer, i get a very faint image
    > further down the page of what is really printed on the page. in other
    > words, it looks almost as if i'm seeing double.
    >
    > does this usually mean i need to clean the drum, or does it mean i
    > have to clean a component that is part of the actual printer? maybe
    > the printer itself is just nearing it's death?
    >
    > please help me diagnose.
    >
    > thanks

Printers Laser Printer Peripherals