Modify Lexmark ink cartridges to fit Dell 720

You know the little Dell 720 printer - looks remarkably like a Lexmark Z601.
Anybody know if it is possible to modify Lexmark cartridges to fit the Dell?

The Lexmark cartridges are astronomical in price, but the Dell prices are
even bigger. (Would that be cosmological?)

Thanks

Geoff
6 answers Last reply
More about modify lexmark cartridges dell

    "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in

    > You know the little Dell 720 printer - looks remarkably like a Lexmark
    > Z601. Anybody know if it is possible to modify Lexmark cartridges to
    > fit the Dell?
    >
    > The Lexmark cartridges are astronomical in price, but the Dell prices
    > are even bigger. (Would that be cosmological?)

    Astronomical?
    Cosmological?

    How would you like to pay infinitismal -- as in very little?

    Any reason you haven't considered simply refilling the Dell cartridges
    yourself? I'm not familiar with your particular cartridge, but usually
    for the Lexmark type you unsnap the cover on the color and for the
    black, drill a small hole on top. Inject ink, replace the color cover
    and do nothing with the black. I think you can get 12-refill bottles of
    color or black for around $20 US (try atlanticinkjet.com). Instructions
    come with kits.

    The money saved is.... well, astronomical!

    Yes, I would consider refilling as already suggested. But don't be afraid to
    just junk it and get a mainstream printer.
    What do you use it for? You can pick up a deal on all brands on Ebay and get
    rebuilt cartridges cheap if you don't want to refill.

    GB wrote:
    > You know the little Dell 720 printer - looks remarkably like a
    > Lexmark Z601. Anybody know if it is possible to modify Lexmark
    > cartridges to fit the Dell?

    Nope. Dell customise the printhead to take their cartridges only. Nothing
    you can do about that. And it probably *IS* a Z601 - after all Dell printers
    are rebadged (or should that be rebodged?) Lexmarks.

    > The Lexmark cartridges are astronomical in price, but the Dell prices
    > are even bigger. (Would that be cosmological?)

    Nope - they're synonyms. ;o)

    lose his marbles?

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 00:27:16 UTC, "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote:

    > You know the little Dell 720 printer - looks remarkably like a Lexmark Z601.
    > Anybody know if it is possible to modify Lexmark cartridges to fit the Dell?
    >
    > The Lexmark cartridges are astronomical in price, but the Dell prices are
    > even bigger. (Would that be cosmological?)

    I've done this in order to get Lexmark cartridges to fit a Xerox C20.

    The trick was NOT to modify the cartridges, but to remove a snap-out
    piece of plastic from the cartridge holder. Said piece of plastic had
    grooves and ridges that mated with matching ones on the Xerox cartridge
    - Lexmark cartridge was identical except for these being in a different
    place.

    So, have a look...

    --
    Bob Eager
    begin a new life...dump Windows!

    "Bob Eager" <rde42@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 00:27:16 UTC, "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > You know the little Dell 720 printer - looks remarkably like a Lexmark
    Z601.
    > > Anybody know if it is possible to modify Lexmark cartridges to fit the
    Dell?

    > > The Lexmark cartridges are astronomical in price, but the Dell prices
    are
    > > even bigger. (Would that be cosmological?)
    >
    > I've done this in order to get Lexmark cartridges to fit a Xerox C20.
    >
    > The trick was NOT to modify the cartridges, but to remove a snap-out
    > piece of plastic from the cartridge holder. Said piece of plastic had
    > grooves and ridges that mated with matching ones on the Xerox cartridge
    > - Lexmark cartridge was identical except for these being in a different
    > place.
    >
    > So, have a look...
    >
    > --
    > Bob Eager

    Thanks Bob. I assumed it would probably be a matter of spending a few
    minutes with a craft knife carving off some bits of superfluous plastic to
    make the cartridges fit the holder.

    *** It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually done this
    for a Dell 720 or A920. ***

    Geoff

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:27:15 UTC, "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote:

    > "Bob Eager" <rde42@spamcop.net> wrote in message

    > > I've done this in order to get Lexmark cartridges to fit a Xerox C20.
    > >
    > > The trick was NOT to modify the cartridges, but to remove a snap-out
    > > piece of plastic from the cartridge holder. Said piece of plastic had
    > > grooves and ridges that mated with matching ones on the Xerox cartridge
    > > - Lexmark cartridge was identical except for these being in a different
    > > place.

    > Thanks Bob. I assumed it would probably be a matter of spending a few
    > minutes with a craft knife carving off some bits of superfluous plastic to
    > make the cartridges fit the holder.

    The thing to remember is that they want minimal manufacturing
    differences, so there is often an easy modification to the printer...

    --
    Bob Eager
    begin a new life...dump Windows!

Printers Lexmark Dell Peripherals