Normal temp for Athlon XP 2800+?

Can someone please tell me what is the normal operating temperature
for an Athlon XP 2800+ Barton (non-overclocked)?

(Just trying to get a good baseline here)

How about an Athlon XP 1700+ ?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

There is no such thing as normal operating temperature. The cooler your
processor runs the better. If you start getting temps. of 60degC and over,
you've got a problem.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:02:58 -0400, "chris" <chrisNOTSPAM@NOYB.com>
wrote:

>There is no such thing as normal operating temperature. The cooler your
>processor runs the better. If you start getting temps. of 60degC and over,
>you've got a problem.

SO normal would be 60 degrees or less.

Both of my machines have been running at 65 degrees for a long time.
Someone pointed out to me that it was a bit toasty, I just wanted to
verify.

I'm using the stock fans that came with the processors. (Heck, they
boot up at 57 degrees!) I think I'll be going fan shopping this
weekend.

Thanks again.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I'm glad to hear that you're not taking the vaccum cleaner advice...

Since the tower has 5 fans in it, your system is obviously getting good
ventilation. The first thing I'd do is check for dust. The second thing
I'd do is get some thermal paste and reseat the HS.

"chris" <chrisNOTSPAM@NOYB.com> wrote in message
> I'm glad to hear that you're not taking the vaccum cleaner advice...

Yes, the vacuum cleaner generates static. See my posts on pipe cleaners.
The air can would be OK though, although the fluff has to go somewhere
(stuck to a pipe cleaner is better than floating around waiting to settle
somewhere in your case).

Bob

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have to say the Athlon 64 heatsinks are actually quite good! Don't know
about the stock ones that came with the XP series.

Keeps my chip under 50 degrees at load.

Dan

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:49:56 +0100, Dan wrote:

> I have to say the Athlon 64 heatsinks are actually quite good! Don't know
> about the stock ones that came with the XP series.

They're terrible.:)

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:49:18 GMT, Wes Newell
<w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:49:56 +0100, Dan wrote:
>
>> I have to say the Athlon 64 heatsinks are actually quite good! Don't know
>> about the stock ones that came with the XP series.
>>
>They're terrible.:)

Ok, I replaced the factory cooler with a ThermalTake TR2-M2 (which has
this basically useless speed switch ... it's not quieter when the fan
is slower).

Fortunately it came with one of those thermal "pads" so I didn't need
to apply the paste that I bought.

Anyway: After powering it up my temperatures only went down from 65
degrees to 62 degrees. It still seems too hot to me. Shouldn't I
have expected more?

I was really hoping to get into the 50s.

(I'm writing this before I even put a load on the box ... I may end up
right where I started.)

I'm up to 64 degrees now. So, I'm a degree cooler than before. Not
worth the $18. :-(

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:28:42 -0400, singha_lvr <singha_lvr@nospam.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:49:18 GMT, Wes Newell
><w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:49:56 +0100, Dan wrote:
>>
>>> I have to say the Athlon 64 heatsinks are actually quite good! Don't know
>>> about the stock ones that came with the XP series.
>>>
>>They're terrible.:)
>

>Ok, I replaced the factory cooler with a ThermalTake TR2-M2 (which has
>this basically useless speed switch ... it's not quieter when the fan
>is slower).
>
>Fortunately it came with one of those thermal "pads" so I didn't need
>to apply the paste that I bought.
>
>Anyway: After powering it up my temperatures only went down from 65
>degrees to 62 degrees. It still seems too hot to me. Shouldn't I
>have expected more?
>
>I was really hoping to get into the 50s.
>
>(I'm writing this before I even put a load on the box ... I may end up
>right where I started.)

Stephen

Am Sat, 16 Jul 2005 22:06:40 +0200 schrieb Bob Smith (UK)
<bob@nospamplease>:

> "chris" <chrisNOTSPAM@NOYB.com> wrote in message
>> I'm glad to hear that you're not taking the vaccum cleaner advice...
>>

> Yes, the vacuum cleaner generates static. See my posts on pipe cleaners.

Thanks for advice, I had luck and no harm has been done to my system with
the v.c.

Greetings,
- Stephen

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:28:42 -0400, singha_lvr wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:49:18 GMT, Wes Newell
> <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:49:56 +0100, Dan wrote:
>>
>>> I have to say the Athlon 64 heatsinks are actually quite good! Don't know
>>> about the stock ones that came with the XP series.
>>>
>>They're terrible.:)
>

> Ok, I replaced the factory cooler with a ThermalTake TR2-M2 (which has
> this basically useless speed switch ... it's not quieter when the fan
> is slower).

And who told you to get a -M2? It sure wasn't me. I only recommned -M1's
and/or -M3's. 70mm TMD fans are noisy and fail too much and that why I
never recommend the -M2.

> Fortunately it came with one of those thermal "pads" so I didn't need
> to apply the paste that I bought.

You should have removed the pad and used the paste.

> Anyway: After powering it up my temperatures only went down from 65
> degrees to 62 degrees. It still seems too hot to me. Shouldn't I
> have expected more?

Might try it with paste. The -M2 HS is OK, but I wouldn't trust the tmd
fan.

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:34:57 GMT, Wes Newell
<w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

>And who told you to get a -M2? It sure wasn't me. I only recommned -M1's
>and/or -M3's. 70mm TMD fans are noisy and fail too much and that why I
>never recommend the -M2.

Someone earlier in this thread.

>> Fortunately it came with one of those thermal "pads" so I didn't need
>> to apply the paste that I bought.
>>
>You should have removed the pad and used the paste.

I went by the AMD recommendation to always use the pad.
Maybe I'll try the paste.

>> Anyway: After powering it up my temperatures only went down from 65
>> degrees to 62 degrees. It still seems too hot to me. Shouldn't I
>> have expected more?
>>
>Might try it with paste. The -M2 HS is OK, but I wouldn't trust the tmd
>fan.

Thanks ... I did manage to get things down to 57 degrees with some
ventalation changes .. a bit of an improvement ... but I'd like
better.

(Thanks for the response ... it's appreciated.)

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:34:57 GMT, Wes Newell
> <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:
>
>>And who told you to get a -M2? It sure wasn't me. I only recommned -M1's
>>and/or -M3's. 70mm TMD fans are noisy and fail too much and that why I
>>never recommend the -M2.
>>

> Someone earlier in this thread.
>
>>> Fortunately it came with one of those thermal "pads" so I didn't need
>>> to apply the paste that I bought.
>>>
>>You should have removed the pad and used the paste.
>>

> I went by the AMD recommendation to always use the pad.
> Maybe I'll try the paste.
>
>>> Anyway: After powering it up my temperatures only went down from 65
>>> degrees to 62 degrees. It still seems too hot to me. Shouldn't I
>>> have expected more?
>>>
>>Might try it with paste. The -M2 HS is OK, but I wouldn't trust the tmd
>>fan.
>
> Thanks ... I did manage to get things down to 57 degrees with some
> ventalation changes .. a bit of an improvement ... but I'd like
> better.

You tried some ventilation changes. Try this test, if the CPU cools down
with the side of the box off then the case has bad ventilation. If it goes
up then it was good and you have to look elsewhere for the problems. You
can put a stack of fans in a case but if it can't breath then they are
useless.

What is the room temp where the computer is used?

By the way, I am using a TR2-M1 that had a 2500RPM fan but with overclocking
and a hot room in summer I had to replace the fan with a 3100RPM one (both
80x25mm). Maybe you could get an 80mm fan on the M2. Now (winter), my room
temp is 22C, the CPU temp is 42C, the CPU is running 12.5x190 @ 1.875V on my
Abit NF7-S v2.0. My 2800+ can clock higher but one of the PC3200 RAM sticks
is dodgy and won't go higher.

Try this other simple test, with the side of the box off, touch the side of
the base of the CPU heatsink. If the temp is truly 65C, you won't be able
to hold you finger there for than a few seconds.

Dave

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:29:01 -0400, singha_lvr wrote:

> Ok, I did the heatsync touch test .... SpeedFan reports 57 degrees. I
> was able to touch the heatsync and it was cool to the touch.
> (Literally, not even warm.)
>
> Does this mean:
> 1) My processor is running cool enough
> or
> 2) There is no heat exchange between the CPU die and the heatsync?

Could be either, but if the cooler is properly installed with paste or pad
and the HS is cool to the touch, then the reported temps are just wrong.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 06:45:16 GMT, Wes Newell
<w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

>Could be either, but if the cooler is properly installed with paste or pad
>and the HS is cool to the touch, then the reported temps are just wrong.

Thanks again for al of your useful feedback.
It is most appreciated.