Disconnect and Reconnects

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
May 4, 2005 7:03:05 PM

hello
I hope someone can help. We have a wired and wireless network as
detailed below. All is well apart from the one laptop which usually
connects via WiFi - Connection is fine but after varying periods of time
- as long as 2 hours or as short as 5 minutes - it disconnects and
reconnects from/to the network. This can be catastrophic for anything
being streamed from/to the laptop. I would really like to be able to
have a reliable, always present, connection and I hope that someone can
either give me advice or point me to a web page.

Many thanks
Richard

Wireless Router:- Belkin F5D7230-4
Laptop: Averatec 3250 (With built-in WiFi)
The wireless connection on the laptop is set up as follows:
Windows configures wireless network
Network Authentication:- Open
Data encryption: WEP
Authentication "Enable IEEE 820.1x is NOT checked

More about : disconnect reconnects

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
May 4, 2005 7:03:06 PM

A possibility is the presense of another wireless network.
Ensure your router is enabled to broadcast its SSID.
Also in your PC wireless connection make the SSID a preferred network and
set to connect only to preferred networks.

"Richard Colinson" wrote:

> hello
> I hope someone can help. We have a wired and wireless network as
> detailed below. All is well apart from the one laptop which usually
> connects via WiFi - Connection is fine but after varying periods of time
> - as long as 2 hours or as short as 5 minutes - it disconnects and
> reconnects from/to the network. This can be catastrophic for anything
> being streamed from/to the laptop. I would really like to be able to
> have a reliable, always present, connection and I hope that someone can
> either give me advice or point me to a web page.
>

> Many thanks
> Richard
>
> Wireless Router:- Belkin F5D7230-4
> Laptop: Averatec 3250 (With built-in WiFi)
> The wireless connection on the laptop is set up as follows:
> Windows configures wireless network
> Network Authentication:- Open
> Data encryption: WEP
> Authentication "Enable IEEE 820.1x is NOT checked

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
May 4, 2005 7:57:21 PM

Further to this the Laptop is running WinXP Home 2SP and the laptop is
using the Windows wireless connection.
Richard
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
Conversation: Disconnect and Reconnects
Subject: Disconnect and Reconnects

[...]

May 5, 2005 4:30:31 PM

Thank you for your response - Unfortunately there are no other wireless
networks nearby, also the router is broadcasting it's SSID and it's a
preferred network. So that's no the cause of the dropouts!

I thought that it might be something to do with the DECT phones in the
house - but I've been changing channels and there is no difference - the
laptop still keeps dropping out.

I did find "Top 10 Home Networking Problems and Mistakes to Avoid" on
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/tp/co...

And No 8 was:-
Network Connections Drop Unexpectedly
A home network may operate flawlessly for a day, a week or a month, but
suddenly, at the most inopportune time, something breaks. You may have
been happily listening to an Internet radio station, swapping files on a
P2P network, or playing a networked game at home. Then. boom! What
happened? There are several possibilities. Don't be surprised if this
happens to you.

But there was no link to tell me what the possibilities were! Any help
would be most gratefully received.

Richard

Subject: RE: Disconnect and Reconnects

!