Using pc2100 ram in an AMD 64bit system. Will this work ??

Not sure i would want to 133fsb vs 200fsb. Just have a stick 1 gig of
pc2100 and iam building a media pc and though i might use it in it.

Then againmight just buy some cheapish 3200 ram. Its cheap these days.

Thanks for any info.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message

> Not sure i would want to 133fsb vs 200fsb. Just have a stick 1 gig of
> pc2100 and iam building a media pc and though i might use it in it.
>
> Then againmight just buy some cheapish 3200 ram. Its cheap these days.
>
> Thanks for any info.

There's a considerable difference in performance between a single stick of
PC2100 DDR and two sticks of PC3200 DDR running in dual channel mode. On one
of my Barton 3200's I went from a single 512Mb stick of PC2700 to 2x512Mb
PC3200 and the difference in "feel" and snappiness was noticeable. On an A64
CPU going from one stick of PC2100 it would be more noticeable.

The clock on the A64 will be at 200, if you don't overclock. You can't set
it lower. The fsb has been replaced by the hypertransport at 1000.

You can set the memory to 133 or auto-detect it.

I figured I'd run pcmark05 at 200 dual channel, and then 133 single channel,
and report the results.

But the bios won't let me set single channel.

So I ran it at 200 and 100, both dual channel.

The 200 gave an 8% faster result.

According to memtest, the 100 dual channel was 25% faster than a single 166
stick I've previously run it on.

So, that doesn't really tell you what you want, but it's probably
interesting.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Anyhow, my advice is to try the pc2100 and if things are fast enough, go
with it. Going to 3200 would probably give, in practical applications, about
7% and going dual channel pc3200 another 7%. So it's maybe not worth it.
Except, now is when memory prices are good. See the reviews on newegg of the
Kingmax Super Ram dual channel pc3200 kits, 2 x 512 = 1 gig, about $75.

Another except, AMD will next be going to DDR2, so the DDR you buy will
become obsolete.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

All i wanted to know if it would work. And it DOES WOOO HOOO. It will
be paired with an AMD XP 3000 Venice.

Then again the media PC will prob be a games machine as well so i
might get the 3200 later. Ifi can figure out how to setup my TV so i
cna play games.

Ill keep trying.