HP5550 slows to a crawl!

I have a hp5550 connected via usb to my XP machine. Say i'm printing
a few pages of simple text in draft mode; the printer zooms through
the 1st half page. But just recently it started slowing right down.
Halfway through the 1st page the printer is taking 3 seconds per
sweep. Its slower than high quality mode. A page or 2 further on it
will speed up for half a page, then slow down again.

Ive tried all the different quality modes - same behaviour. Ink carts
are nearly full and the output quality is fine. Any ideas why it
slows down?
3 answers Last reply
More about hp5550 slows crawl

    Are you using the parallel port? This is prone to CPU hogging, USB is much
    better.

    Steve B wrote in message
    > Are you using the parallel port? This is prone to CPU hogging, USB
    is much
    > better.

    > Josh wrote in message
    > > I have a hp5550 connected via usb to my XP machine.
    ^^^^

    --
    Hazel.

    Grandchildren - God's reward for not killing your own.

    Whoops.

    > > Josh wrote in message
    > > > I have a hp5550 connected via usb to my XP machine.

Printers USB Windows XP Peripherals