Which Processor?

Which offers more overall performance?

AMD Athlon-64 3800+ - 512k L2
AMD Athlon-64 3700+ - 1m L2

CM

I would think the higher L2 cache would be better,but i have the xp3800 and
i love it.
Clocks to 2.7Ghz with 1.6v on air.

"csm" <csmoles@sbcglobal.net> schreef in bericht
> Which offers more overall performance?
>
> AMD Athlon-64 3800+ - 512k L2
> AMD Athlon-64 3700+ - 1m L2
>
> CM

I have been running the 3700+ San Diego core for about 2 months. I have it
running at 2.6GHz @ 1.42V on air with Retail HSF.
It runs great.

The CPUs are already "Performance rated".
So a 3800+ is faster then a 3700+, BUT
Overclocking the 3700+ might be easier as it starts off with a lower true
Ghz speed.

"Flow" <Flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote in news:dxlFe.1352$jA4.1329@amstwist00:

> I would think the higher L2 cache would be better,but i have the
> xp3800 and i love it.
> Clocks to 2.7Ghz with 1.6v on air.

I just bought the 4400+ (Toledo) dual core. What's a realistic oc for me to
attempt to attain - on air w/ stock HS/F? I have 4GB of Patriot Extreme
Performance 2.0 ram and MSI GeForce 6800 PCI-e 16x SLI video that shouldn't
limit the processor any, I'd think. My unclocked temps are 27C idle and 40C
load. Is 3ghz realistic on air and what settings should I start playing
around with? Oh, the mobo is an Abit A8N Fatal1ty SLi, but not running in
SLi mode.

Thanks for any advice
.....a newbie at overclocking

dk

"dead kitty" <dead-kitty@gone.to.heaven> schreef in bericht
> "Flow" <Flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote in news:dxlFe.1352$jA4.1329@amstwist00:
>

> > I would think the higher L2 cache would be better,but i have the
> > xp3800 and i love it.
> > Clocks to 2.7Ghz with 1.6v on air.
> >

> I just bought the 4400+ (Toledo) dual core. What's a realistic oc for me
> attempt to attain - on air w/ stock HS/F? I have 4GB of Patriot Extreme
> Performance 2.0 ram and MSI GeForce 6800 PCI-e 16x SLI video that
shouldn't
> limit the processor any, I'd think. My unclocked temps are 27C idle and
40C
> load. Is 3ghz realistic on air and what settings should I start playing
> around with? Oh, the mobo is an Abit A8N Fatal1ty SLi, but not running in
> SLi mode.
>
> Thanks for any advice
> ....a newbie at overclocking
>
> dk

The cpu fsb is not as it used to be anymore.It's now more of a multiplier
working with the cpu multiplier and memory frequency.
Since with your cpu the multi is unlocked for at least the lower ones,you
can up the fsb as much as you want.
So where do you have to keep an eye on? Lower the HT5x to max 3x,because
this is multiplied with your cpu fsb (also HT frequency called)
And you won't go far beyond the result of 1000. 5x200 , 3x200 ,3x300=900,and
you get the picture.
So lower the memory frequency of 200 (which is actually a divider) to say
133mhz and with a fsb of around 307 you get your multiplier times that.
With this setting your memory will be around 200mhz again,running in spec.
This is just a simple novice overclock,you can lower the memory timings also
and use a higher divider for mem like 166 or 180.
Just keep in mind that the cpu fsb and memory fsb is on your cpu.And you
need to add some extra voltage to the cpu ofcourse.
Running at 3Ghz could be difficult if your mainboard doesn't support more
voltage then required.
You need some serious overvolt when trying to reach 3Ghz.

I imagine he refers to a "San Diego" 3700+, which is Socket 939 (90 nm, SSE
3, etc.).

"Flow" <Flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote in message

> "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
>> The CPUs are already "Performance rated".
>> So a 3800+ is faster then a 3700+, BUT
>> Overclocking the 3700+ might be easier as it starts off with a lower true
>> Ghz speed.
>>
>> "csm" <csmoles@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> > Which offers more overall performance?
>> >
>> > AMD Athlon-64 3800+ - 512k L2
>> > AMD Athlon-64 3700+ - 1m L2
>> >
>> > CM
>> >

>> Don't forget the 3700+ is socket 754,already becoming obsolete.

It is Socket 939 and I purchased the 3800+ after reading some additional
articles. Thanks for the help!

CM

> It is Socket 939 and I purchased the 3800+ after reading some additional
> articles. Thanks for the help!

Could've bought a 3800 X2 for just a little more.