Anyone used ROMs in a CVS server?

I have thousands upon thousands of roms downloaded from various sources.
Thanks to whoever used to post bittorrents of packages of the latest
roms supported.

Thing is, I know I have dupes of the same roms, but with diffeent
filesizes. I know of crlmame's function, but i never had luck with it. I
remember struggling with it just to get Gauntlet running.

But has anyone used a CVS server to keep their roms nice & neat?
6 answers Last reply
More about anyone roms server

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:52:04 -0500, S1500 <s1500@nospam.comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >I have thousands upon thousands of roms downloaded from various sources.
    >Thanks to whoever used to post bittorrents of packages of the latest
    >roms supported.
    >
    >Thing is, I know I have dupes of the same roms, but with diffeent
    >filesizes. I know of crlmame's function, but i never had luck with it. I
    >remember struggling with it just to get Gauntlet running.
    >
    >But has anyone used a CVS server to keep their roms nice & neat?

    When MAMEdev started doing intermediate releases I realised I had a
    problem with rom duplication. I forget the version in question... for
    the sake of this example, say we were at 0.92u7. I had full rom sets
    on my PC for every version from 0.92 through to 0.92u7, plus full RAW,
    UbER, Plus build and probably many others. The total was getting on
    for 180Gb... hopeless!

    It was totally unmanageable with much duplication. As a solution I
    wrote some VB which took all the tens of thousands of roms/sets and
    interrogated the zip files to generate a unique file for each rom in
    the format...

    "(crc).zip"

    Thus removing any and all duplication. I now have a rom "repository"
    of 64,000 files occupying 18.3Gb which I can use to build any MAME
    version... just as long as the roms are in the repository.

    As a result I only keep a full build the latest interim release and
    the various "Minor, Unemulated, Hacks, Unk, Rollback" from...

    http://www.eggmansworld.com/arcade.htm

    Which can be deleted and rebuilt when new versions come out without
    any fear of losing precious roms.

    Sorry for the long post but it seems to me that this is the perfect
    way of managing my roms. Just make sure the repository is backed up
    many times as it becomes PRICELESS!

    Cheers,
    Terra Cresta

    PC Arcade
    http://www.pcarcade.tv

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:47:27 +0100, Terra Cresta wrote:

    > As a result I only keep a full build the latest interim release and
    > the various "Minor, Unemulated, Hacks, Unk, Rollback" from...

    I have a similar setup, although I only bother with full builds for each
    major release, I keep a WIP folder with all the ROMs for the u releases.
    Also Rollback and Minor Emus - but why bother with Unemulated and Unknown?
    I bet the large proportion of them will never be used anyway, and when new
    dumps appear they are always posted to newsgroups pretty quickly, so why
    not just download them then?
    Sorry, but of a pointless rant from me here, but there you go... :p

    Cheers,
    Mike

    Hi,

    > Thing is, I know I have dupes of the same roms, but with diffeent
    > filesizes.

    > But has anyone used a CVS server to keep their roms nice & neat?

    I cannot see how using version control could help here.

    If you add your "dupes" to a CVS repository one after the other CVS will
    recognize the different versions as, well, different version. You will be able
    to alternately check out every version of it. You will also be able to check
    out different versions to different places.

    But you have gained nothing.

    CVS will store complete copies of the data as ROMs are binary. It will add
    meta information AND you need a working copy of the ROM to run it. So you
    are not saving on disk space.

    You might be able to tag roms by MAME-version to check out working sets
    for specific versions of MAME but ClrMamePro is much better suited for this
    task.

    > I know of crlmame's function, but i never had luck with it.

    I suggest you try again, it is worth it.

    Ciao, MM
    --
    Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
    http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de

    S1500 wrote:
    > I have thousands upon thousands of roms downloaded from various sources.
    > Thanks to whoever used to post bittorrents of packages of the latest
    > roms supported.
    >
    > Thing is, I know I have dupes of the same roms, but with diffeent
    > filesizes. I know of crlmame's function, but i never had luck with it. I
    > remember struggling with it just to get Gauntlet running.
    >
    > But has anyone used a CVS server to keep their roms nice & neat?

    I had a really hard time with clrMAME at first but once I figured it
    out, managing roms became easy. If you are still willing to give
    clrMAME a shot to manage your roms, try this tutorial (it helped me)
    http://www.tamba2.org.uk/cmp/
    clrMAME and that tutorial are both run by regulars to this newsgroup so
    finding answers to any remaining quesitons should be pretty easy.

    --
    Super Mike
    "Mi asno querría un enano y un yate, por favor."

    Anti_Freak_Machine's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    his body were:
    > http://www.tamba2.org.uk/cmp/

    Speaking of that addy, how come there werent stats for April posted?

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:33:19 GMT, Mike <mdh@deadspam.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:47:27 +0100, Terra Cresta wrote:
    >
    >> As a result I only keep a full build the latest interim release and
    >> the various "Minor, Unemulated, Hacks, Unk, Rollback" from...
    >
    >I have a similar setup, although I only bother with full builds for each
    >major release, I keep a WIP folder with all the ROMs for the u releases.
    >Also Rollback and Minor Emus - but why bother with Unemulated and Unknown?
    >I bet the large proportion of them will never be used anyway, and when new
    >dumps appear they are always posted to newsgroups pretty quickly, so why
    >not just download them then?
    >Sorry, but of a pointless rant from me here, but there you go... :p
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Mike

    Greed I guess! I just like to try and keep pace with Eggman's DAT's.

    Cheers,
    Terra Cresta

    PC Arcade
    http://www.pcarcade.tv