wireless client won't accept WEP key

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm using XP SP2 on a Centrino notebook.
When I try to configure the wireless connection for my router, the
client (neither MS nor Intel) will retain the 128-bit key. When I close
and reopen the setup, the 26 character hex has reverted back to some
short default.

This was a functioning wireless setup (with a wireless PC card on an
older laptop). The notebook can see the access point, but not connect.
I'm certain that all other variables in the configuration are set
correctly. Any help?
Thanks.

Dan

Rupert

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Dan" <dj291@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> I'm using XP SP2 on a Centrino notebook.
> When I try to configure the wireless connection for my router, the client
> (neither MS nor Intel) will retain the 128-bit key. When I close and
> reopen the setup, the 26 character hex has reverted back to some short
> default.
>
> This was a functioning wireless setup (with a wireless PC card on an older
> laptop). The notebook can see the access point, but not connect. I'm
> certain that all other variables in the configuration are set correctly.
> Any help?
> Thanks.
>
> Dan

The password box will always default to a random number of blobs.It does not
represent the number of characters you have typed.
No other suggestions really -other than checking the key entered in your
router and re entering it once again.

"Dan" <dj291@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> I'm using XP SP2 on a Centrino notebook.
> When I try to configure the wireless connection for my router, the client
> (neither MS nor Intel) will retain the 128-bit key. When I close and
> reopen the setup, the 26 character hex has reverted back to some short
> default.
>
> This was a functioning wireless setup (with a wireless PC card on an older
> laptop). The notebook can see the access point, but not connect. I'm
> certain that all other variables in the configuration are set correctly.
> Any help?
> Thanks.
>
> Dan

That's normal behavior. The dotted key you see in the window afterward is a
representation of the actual key and it looks this way even on my systems
where all connections are performing flawlessly. ) If you start typing in
there you need to provide the full key again as usual.

Note there is more to making the connection work than providing the correct
key. You must also tell it which of the keys the router is using (Typically
1-4) of it's generated possibilities. If it's using key number 3 for example
and your wireless card is defaulting to #1 it won't connect even if the WEP
key is numerically correct. You'll also need to set the card to use KEY #3.

joe