temp too hot??

lee

Hello I recently bought a Thermalright ALX800 heatsink for my socket A XP
2500+ barton completely running standard at 2500+ I have added artic silver
5 thermal past to cpu core and my temps are idling at around 49c! on load
around 53c :( I have also got a 80mm fan on the heatsink running at about
3000rpm so pretty cool I am wondering is it because I have accidentally
ripped of 2 of the black pads that sit on top of processor?
Or is it an issue with my mainboard which is a Asus A7N8X-E deluxe rev 1.01?

Any help please?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

53degC is nothing to worry about however, it is high considering you're not
OCing the processor. The two pads you mentioned might be a problem....since
they help processor make proper contact with the HS. I don't own an ALX800
but rather an SLK800. With it, came four pads because the HS doesn't touch
the four pads AMD put on the CPU.

You might just try reseating the HS and putting a fresh dose of arctic
silver on it...

--
"All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
more ludicrous the analogy!"
"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello I recently bought a Thermalright ALX800 heatsink for my socket A XP
> 2500+ barton completely running standard at 2500+ I have added artic
silver
> 5 thermal past to cpu core and my temps are idling at around 49c! on load
> around 53c :( I have also got a 80mm fan on the heatsink running at about
> 3000rpm so pretty cool I am wondering is it because I have accidentally
> ripped of 2 of the black pads that sit on top of processor?
> Or is it an issue with my mainboard which is a Asus A7N8X-E deluxe rev
1.01?

> Any help please?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello I recently bought a Thermalright ALX800 heatsink for my socket A XP
> 2500+ barton completely running standard at 2500+ I have added artic
> silver
> 5 thermal past to cpu core and my temps are idling at around 49c! on load
> around 53c :( I have also got a 80mm fan on the heatsink running at about
> 3000rpm so pretty cool I am wondering is it because I have accidentally
> ripped of 2 of the black pads that sit on top of processor?
> Or is it an issue with my mainboard which is a Asus A7N8X-E deluxe rev
> 1.01?
>
> Any help please?

As one other reply said reapply the Arctic Silver however make sure it is a
VERY thin layer on thicker than plastic wrap. Any thicker and AS5 will act
as an insulator preventing heat from reaching the heatsink.

Lee wrote:
> Hello I recently bought a Thermalright ALX800 heatsink for my socket
> A XP 2500+ barton completely running standard at 2500+ I have added
> artic silver 5 thermal past to cpu core and my temps are idling at
> around 49c! on load around 53c :(

Absolute temperature readings are meaningless. What was the temperature
before you changed the heatsink?

[...]

--
Michael Brown
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

lee

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:00:40 +1000, "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below>
wrote:

>:>Lee wrote:
>:>> Hello I recently bought a Thermalright ALX800 heatsink for my socket
>:>> A XP 2500+ barton completely running standard at 2500+ I have added
>:>> artic silver 5 thermal past to cpu core and my temps are idling at
>:>> around 49c! on load around 53c :(
>:>
>:>Absolute temperature readings are meaningless. What was the temperature
>:>before you changed the heatsink?
>:>
>:>[...]
Exactly the same with the volcano 7+ I had which is idle around 46c, these
black pads on cpu can you buy replacement ones?
-----
Lee.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:10:01 +0000, Lee wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:00:40 +1000, "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below>
> wrote:
>
>>:>Lee wrote:
>>:>> Hello I recently bought a Thermalright ALX800 heatsink for my socket
>>:>> A XP 2500+ barton completely running standard at 2500+ I have added
>>:>> artic silver 5 thermal past to cpu core and my temps are idling at
>>:>> around 49c! on load around 53c :(
>>:>
>>:>Absolute temperature readings are meaningless. What was the temperature
>>:>before you changed the heatsink?
>>:>
> Exactly the same with the volcano 7+ I had which is idle around 46c, these
> black pads on cpu can you buy replacement ones?

Forget the black pads. They're not improtant. I don't see a problem. If
with the very much quieter fan it performs as good as the extremely loud
V7+ what's the problem? Want it cooler, put on a more powerful fan,
although I'm not sure if that will help much. The temps you're reading
look like the cpu diode temps and as long as you have the cooler installed
properly (and the pads don't matter one bit) then it's fine.

lee

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:24:17 GMT, "Chuck" <chuck_les_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>:>
>:>"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>:>news:krbqf19g95s7rubfguh206sn3b1d5c4qks@4ax.com...
>:>> Hello I recently bought a Thermalright ALX800 heatsink for my socket A XP
>:>> 2500+ barton completely running standard at 2500+ I have added artic
>:>> silver
>:>> 5 thermal past to cpu core and my temps are idling at around 49c! on load
>:>> around 53c :( I have also got a 80mm fan on the heatsink running at about
>:>> 3000rpm so pretty cool I am wondering is it because I have accidentally
>:>> ripped of 2 of the black pads that sit on top of processor?
>:>> Or is it an issue with my mainboard which is a Asus A7N8X-E deluxe rev
>:>> 1.01?
>:>>
>:>> Any help please?
>:>
>:>As one other reply said reapply the Arctic Silver however make sure it is a
>:>VERY thin layer on thicker than plastic wrap. Any thicker and AS5 will act
>:>as an insulator preventing heat from reaching the heatsink.
>:>
Thanks all I reapplied as5 and it seems alittle better now but still think
it should be cooler its showing like 46c on idle now.
Wes I don't think my mobo has the diode temp sensor as its the Asus A7N8X-E
deluxe rev 1.01. The fan I have on the heatsink isn't very powerful only
throwing out about 2500rpm so I guess if I got something like a Delta
running about 5700rpm then temps would decrease but so would noise level and
I think its very nice and quiet at moment :)

Thanks all again.
-----
Lee.

Hi, your temp is fine for Athlon XP they run hot at higher speeds, just dont
run them over 70C at max load.

doug
www.lynncomp.com

"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello I recently bought a Thermalright ALX800 heatsink for my socket A XP
> 2500+ barton completely running standard at 2500+ I have added artic
> silver
> 5 thermal past to cpu core and my temps are idling at around 49c! on load
> around 53c :( I have also got a 80mm fan on the heatsink running at about
> 3000rpm so pretty cool I am wondering is it because I have accidentally
> ripped of 2 of the black pads that sit on top of processor?
> Or is it an issue with my mainboard which is a Asus A7N8X-E deluxe rev
> 1.01?
>
> Any help please?

TRENDING THREADS