Does S.M.A.R.T. offer any protection for a failing hard drive in a Raid 0
configueration?

Hi
I mat be mistaken but I think S.M.A.R.T doesn't work
on RAID 0
Smiffy

James S. wrote:
> Does S.M.A.R.T. offer any protection for a failing hard drive in a Raid 0
> configueration?

Not on my machine with VIA sata raid anyway.

Tom

SMART and RAID0 are two seperate technologies, and are not dependant
on one another.

Think of the "0" in RAID0 ad the amount of redundancy if a drive
fails, where as a RAID1 has a 1:1 mirror, offering full redundancy.

SMART is built into most drives today, and allows it to monitor itself
for potential errors. You just need a program to poll and extract
that information from the drives IF you want some type of alert, that
is, unless the hardware the drives are connected to does that for you.

Speedfan has a SMART tab, showing all of the information from any of
the drives connected to your system that has SMART built into it.

Hope that shed's a little more light on the two.

- tom