Venice 3500+, Asus A8N-Delux question

Hi,

I recntly upgraded to a 3500+ socket 939 Athlon 64, and an Asus A8N-SLI
Delux motherboard, all works fine and it seems to fly in most games.

However I would like to try tweeking it, so went into the bios and looked at
the CPU multipliers, which I had been lead to believr would go up to 12x for
this chip, however I can only go to 11x, which is where it is currently set.
I tried clocking it all the way down to 4.5x, this was reported as 800MHz,
and judging by the apalling framrates I got in doom3 with it set like this I
would say it was 800MHz :) so it seems to be able to have it's multiplier
changed.

Have I got the wrong idea and 11x is the max for this CPU, or is there
something more subtle at play here ?

Cheers.

Phill.

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:13:12 +0000, Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:

> Have I got the wrong idea and 11x is the max for this CPU, or is there
> something more subtle at play here ?

Yes, you have the wrong idea. The default multiplier is 11. if you want to
overclock, raise the FSB, and lower ram and HT link multiplier
accordingly. IOW's raise FSB to 233, lower ram to 133 or 166 base, lower
HT multiplier to 4x. That will give you 11x233 for roughly 2566MHz CPU
speed. You may also need to raise vcore for this or higher speeds.

"Phill Harvey-Smith" <phill@bio.warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I recntly upgraded to a 3500+ socket 939 Athlon 64, and an Asus A8N-SLI
> Delux motherboard, all works fine and it seems to fly in most games.
>
> However I would like to try tweeking it, so went into the bios and looked
> at
> the CPU multipliers, which I had been lead to believr would go up to 12x
> for
> this chip, however I can only go to 11x, which is where it is currently
> set.
> I tried clocking it all the way down to 4.5x, this was reported as 800MHz,
> and judging by the apalling framrates I got in doom3 with it set like this
> would say it was 800MHz :) so it seems to be able to have it's multiplier
> changed.
>
> Have I got the wrong idea and 11x is the max for this CPU, or is there
> something more subtle at play here ?

As you have found the chip you have has its multiplier locked at 11 (the
setting it should be at stock)
To overclocked your processor the speed you obtain is determined by the
multiplier x the HTT

Eg
11 x 200 = 2200MHz

So the only way to overclock your processor to a much higher setting is to
drop your multiplier and increase your HTT

Eg
10 x 250 = 2500MHz

However the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard has a "bug" meaning that if the
board does not allow 1T timings with HTT above 240 without loosing complete
stability. So you will have to lower your memory to 2T if you go above
240HTT.
You will also have to change your overall memory timings as you start
overclocking the HTT

If you fancy a read and have a bit of time to kill have a look at these
threads about the motherboard.
http://tinyurl.com/a7yg8
http://tinyurl.com/bgtnr
http://tinyurl.com/c24h7