How's coverage with Nations GSM??

Hey, I have a 6340i and am pretty pleased with it; I travel very extensively
throughout the US and the coverage I have with the Nations GAIT plan is really
good...but: I want a phone with a color display and camera (my, how the
expectations change with the technology!), but am wondering about the coverage
level I'll get with a GSM-only phone...am thinking about a tri-mode Treo or
Ericsson; will that make a difference in the US, or will that only widen world
coverage? I don't want to sacrifice coverage for features, so any advice? I'm
in some remote areas that actually use the old AMPS signal, but if I have to
sacrifice the service in those areas, that's alright...there aren't that many
of them...Thanks a bunch-
Aaron Worley

"Aaron Worley" <aworley11896@aol.comjnkbgone> wrote in message

> Hey, I have a 6340i and am pretty pleased with it; I travel very
extensively
> throughout the US and the coverage I have with the Nations GAIT plan is
really
> good...but: I want a phone with a color display and camera (my, how the
> expectations change with the technology!), but am wondering about the
coverage
> level I'll get with a GSM-only phone...

I travel extensively throughout the US. I'm very happy with my GSM-only
Motorola T720 on Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all. You won't miss
the GAIT phone. -Dave

Aaron,
first of all, you had better look at the national GSM coverage map to be
sure where you are going is covered.

Next, a cool phone is not a requirement, but a connection with a network
is.

IMHO

Chip

Dave C. wrote:
> "Aaron Worley" <aworley11896@aol.comjnkbgone> wrote in message
>
>> Hey, I have a 6340i and am pretty pleased with it; I travel very
>
> extensively
>
>>throughout the US and the coverage I have with the Nations GAIT plan is
>
> really
>
>>good...but: I want a phone with a color display and camera (my, how the
>>expectations change with the technology!), but am wondering about the
>
> coverage
>
>>level I'll get with a GSM-only phone...
>

> I travel extensively throughout the US. I'm very happy with my GSM-only
> Motorola T720 on Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all. You won't miss
> the GAIT phone. -Dave

"Aaron Worley" <aworley11896@aol.comjnkbgone> wrote in message

> Hey, I have a 6340i and am pretty pleased with it; I travel very
extensively
> throughout the US and the coverage I have with the Nations GAIT plan is
really
> good...but: I want a phone with a color display and camera (my, how the
> expectations change with the technology!), but am wondering about the
coverage
> level I'll get with a GSM-only phone ....

Here's a compromise suggestion. Keep your GAIT phone and get the GSM color
phone you want in addition. The SIM from your 6340i will work fine in
GSM-only phone. You can then move the SIM from phone to phone as the need
requires. Most likely the GSM phone will work for you in built-up areas and
along major highways. If you wander too far into the boonies, put the SIM
in your GAIT phone and use that until you return to civilization.
I do just this. I have an SE t62u as my GAIT phone from Cingular. However,
I have come to prefer using an Ericsson R520m (GSM 900,1800,1900) I acquired
about four months ago. I have used my R520m with the GAIT SIM traveling
around the US and, with a Virgin UK SIM, in the England. I have not yet
needed to switch back the SIM back to my t62u. Because the R520m only picks
up the 1900 signal, the Cingular GAIT SIM has me roaming on AT&T much of the
time. No matter because I am on Cingular's national GAIT plan.
-- Cary

"Dave C." wrote:

> I travel extensively throughout the US. I'm very happy with my GSM-only
> Motorola T720 on Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all. You won't miss
> the GAIT phone. -Dave

I just switched to Cingular with the T637 GSM phone. So far
the coverage is not very good, you pretty much have to be in
a downtown area or by an interstate to get good coverage. At
least that's the case here in North Carolina.

Regards, Daniel

| danielmbarton@yahoo.com |

>Here's a compromise suggestion. Keep your GAIT phone and get the GSM color
>phone you want in addition. The SIM from your 6340i will work fine in
>GSM-only phone

Hey, that's a good idea...thanks! Aaron
Aaron Worley

Daniel,

Where in NC do you live. I live close to chapel hill and have no
problems with coverage execpt when I get real far out in country.

Overall, I have been pretty happy with my GSM phones here in NC.

Chip

Ralph Blach wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> Where in NC do you live. I live close to chapel hill and have no
> problems with coverage execpt when I get real far out in country.
>
> Overall, I have been pretty happy with my GSM phones here in NC.

I live in Raleigh. My house is near Lake Wheeler, which has
very poor coverage. I can get a bar or two from my front
porch, but nothing at all inside my house. And driving around
in the area frequently results in dropped calls.

We visited my wife's family last weekend near Reidsville, NC,
which is definitely in the country. There was coverage near
Highway 29 going towards Virginia, but we lost coverage when
we got more than a couple of miles from Hwy 29.

Cingular doesn't advertise coverage in that area on their
coverage map so I wasn't too surprised there. But my house
is right in the middle of a coverage area. My calls to
customer service resulted in them saying "oh yeah, we don't
have good coverage near your house".

Regards, Daniel

| danielmbarton@yahoo.com |

I'm confused by what is going on?? Cingular called me today and wanted
to know if I wanted to upgrade my Nokia 6340i Gait phone which I got
last year with a Nations Preferred Promo for a Sony/Erickson GSM phone.
They said the GSM phone will now have better coverage than the Gait
phone and it comes with a Nation No Roaming contract. Does this mean
they are doing away with the Gait phones? If I keep my Nokia will I get
less coverage? Thanks for any information you can share.

Bea

<bartalo@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I'm confused by what is going on?? Cingular called me today and wanted
> to know if I wanted to upgrade my Nokia 6340i Gait phone which I got
> last year with a Nations Preferred Promo for a Sony/Erickson GSM phone.
> They said the GSM phone will now have better coverage than the Gait
> phone and it comes with a Nation No Roaming contract. Does this mean
> they are doing away with the Gait phones? If I keep my Nokia will I get
> less coverage? Thanks for any information you can share.
>
> Bea

I live in Dallas but was in NJ/NY over the weekend and found my GAIT phone
cycling between GMS and TDMA frequently. At one point I was on an analog
network! That's exactly the reason I got it in the first place. I'm not
giving it up as long as it's still using TDMA networks and I don't see that
changing for a while.

Bob

Ryan

No you will be fine. If I'm not mistaken the 6340i does GSM.

In <1265-410E7F4E-323@storefull-3251.bay.webtv.net> on Mon, 2 Aug 2004
12:52:14 -0500, bartalo@webtv.net wrote:

>I'm confused by what is going on?? Cingular called me today and wanted
>to know if I wanted to upgrade my Nokia 6340i Gait phone which I got
>last year with a Nations Preferred Promo for a Sony/Erickson GSM phone.
>They said the GSM phone will now have better coverage than the Gait
>phone and it comes with a Nation No Roaming contract. Does this mean
>they are doing away with the Gait phones? If I keep my Nokia will I get
>less coverage? Thanks for any information you can share.

Cingular is trying to get people off TDMA/AMPS. However, the part about
"better" service is rubbish -- the 6340i (as distinct from the original 6340)
works great on both existing and future Cingular services, and will give you
performance as good as the offered GSM phone when on GSM, with the advantage
of TDMA/AMPS where there is no GSM coverage. I can see no good reason for you
to change unless (1) you prefer the new phone and (2) don't care about
TDMA/AMPS.

>No you will be fine. If I'm not mistaken the 6340i does GSM.

The 6340i does GSM, TDMA, and AMPS.

--
John S.