Sign in with
Your question

The Official 2012 London Olympic Thread.

Tags:
  • World News
  • Tally
Last response: in News & Leisure
July 26, 2012 7:43:21 AM

Well, it's almost time, so I think it is a good idea to start a thread to keep the medal tally, share the news and events, etc.

It would be nice if you guys in EU and the Americas post a summery of the medal tally and something interesting so that when I wake up in AUS, having missed out everything when I am in bed, I can have a quick catch up without searching what's hot during the game.

And...

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!

The official Australian chant for any sport event. 12 years since its invention and it does not gets old.

More about : official 2012 london olympic thread

July 26, 2012 11:41:54 AM

84 dislike, they must be poms.
Related resources
July 26, 2012 12:11:57 PM

"The Redback on the Toilet Seat" was my favourite ... along with "I'd love to have a beer with Duncan" and "The Pub with no beer".

I do like Kevin Bloody Wilson though ... er his songs are not really something to link to here though ...

I hope Liesel Jones does well in the swimming ... we are 100% hoping she gets a medal ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisel_Jones

I am deleting any links to FairFax Media group (shameful Un-Australian Reporters) in this thread as a courtesy to her.

Go Lethal Leisel !!

:) 

July 26, 2012 12:26:34 PM

She is a sprinter and she need that physique instead of the super slim build like a marathon runner. Those journalists at FairFax Media are idiotic anorexic worshippers and think the Hollywood skin and bone physique is fit.
July 26, 2012 12:42:33 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
I feel like a dirty old man.

You qualify for that :lol: 
July 26, 2012 12:48:05 PM

Pyree said:
You qualify for that :lol: 

Hell, he would get the gold. :lol: 

July 26, 2012 1:17:58 PM

Well, she is 19. Barely legal. :) 

What a gorgeous smile!! Don't you agree?
July 26, 2012 2:16:30 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Well, she is 19. Barely legal. :) 

What a gorgeous smile!! Don't you agree?

You would have to catch her first.

July 27, 2012 5:41:44 AM

Steph is on slide 22 of that article.
July 27, 2012 6:30:49 AM

This one has 100!!:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1223953-100-hottest-...

22 Fatima Moreira de Melo (Holland, hockey)

Going to watch more hockey

Melanie Adams (Australia, pole vault, somehow not on the list) gets my vote for hottest Australian athlete.

Upon further goggling, she is also Miss universal contestant and a model as well. Makes sense why there are so many bikini photos of her.
July 28, 2012 1:51:48 AM

The opening was awesome ... well done to the poms.

July 28, 2012 1:56:54 AM

I am watching it at 2pm. Too early at 5am live.
July 29, 2012 2:01:35 PM

watching the basket-ball game.
France vs USA.

We are not ridiculous for the moment. :) 

(notice: i wrote this at the end of the first qt)
July 29, 2012 11:18:39 PM

If tackling were permitted in basketball then France, Ireland, Wales, Australia would all be in the top teams.

July 30, 2012 12:52:27 PM

Why? Because we and they play rugby? But NZ, ZA and CA also play rugby. What about countries that plays American "football"?
July 30, 2012 2:38:01 PM

Pyree said:
Why? Because we and they play rugby? But NZ, ZA and CA also play rugby. What about countries that plays American "football"?

American football players are only brave when they have all of that armour on.

None of their top sides will play Rugby or Aussie rules against our teams as they are worried about getting hurt.

/ducks for cover ...

:) 
July 30, 2012 3:29:23 PM

That's why people doing science is right to estimate the combined IQ of players from both teams is the average of 100 :lol: 
July 30, 2012 3:36:59 PM

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/london-games/what...

The questions were inevitable. Slender 16-year-old Chinese girls do not bring home the gruelling 400m IM in times comparable to a powerfully built American male, especially one on track to emerge from these Olympics as the greatest swimmer on the planet.

In the 100 years since Australia's Fanny Durack and Wilhelmina Wylie won gold and silver in the first Olympic swimming race, no woman champion has ever finished faster than the winner of the equivalent men's event.

Among the questions that arise from this, two stand out: where is the logic of going to the exorbitant cost of conducting Olympic Games in order to witness athletic feats never achieved before only to cast suspicion on them?

And would Ye be under suspicion if she were not from China, a country still on probation as far as the swimming world is concerned after it cheated a generation of female swimmers out of medals that rightfully were theirs?

Susie O'Neill and Grant Hackett both had cause during their careers to suspect that they had been robbed of major medals by drug cheats, but both cautioned against making any accusations against Ye.

Twice O'Neill was relegated to the bronze behind two Chinese swimmers in the 100m and 200m butterfly at the notorious 1994 Rome world championships - just weeks before a swag of Chinese swimmers tested positive at the Asian Games - but she is adamant Ye's world record deserves to be taken at face value.

July 30, 2012 11:22:06 PM

Well, the Aussies are doing okay...but the Yankees will take all teh Gold fer us!

USA!USA!USA!
July 30, 2012 11:53:47 PM

Well, a test will clear the name.

But I agree with Reynod. It is unfair. Hopefully a clean test result will shut them up for good.

You know some athletes in China are recruited from the poorest part of the country and they are removed from their family some times as young as 9 months to 1 year old and they receive their training as soon as they can walk. In this case, Ye Shiwen could learn swimming even before she can walk!!

Time for wiki too see her biography...

Edit: Not much on her in wiki.
July 31, 2012 6:22:11 AM

Pyree said:

Time for wiki too see her biography...

Edit: Not much on her in wiki.

In communist china...

*mad libs time*
July 31, 2012 6:28:59 AM

I'm not getting the joke. Ok, I know about the communist reversal joke, but I don't know the context. Care to elaborate?
July 31, 2012 11:32:29 PM

Pyree said:
I'm not getting the joke. Ok, I know about the communist reversal joke, but I don't know the context. Care to elaborate?

Instead of Russia...think China...

wait...are you not Chinese?
August 1, 2012 1:43:06 PM

dogman_1234 said:
Instead of Russia...think China...

wait...are you not Chinese?

It's not the concept of the communist reversal joke I don't get. What I don't get is the context you are referring the joke to.
August 2, 2012 9:00:17 PM

Looks like the US fnally surpassed China in the overall medal count, and matching in gold...
August 2, 2012 10:35:22 PM

Pyree said:
The search ends here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1196960-olympic-hott...

Still have to read through the article. Lets see which country win.

After thought: Somehow the majority of the winning country is from Europe.

Couldn't view your list while at work :p , but my vote goes to #2 on the list - Leryn Franco of Paraguay. Doesn't seem possible she could throw a javelin without toppling over, but what the hey! :D 
August 3, 2012 10:13:57 AM

The inertia forward is an advantage.

I am disappointed at team Australia's performance this year. Luckily, there's still team China for me. If team China do badly, I'll just combine the medal of the two and claim the top spot.
August 3, 2012 12:52:12 PM

This topic has been reopen by REYNOD
August 3, 2012 12:52:39 PM

This topic has been closed by REYNOD
August 3, 2012 1:04:36 PM

I am tempted to ride my camel across the nullaboor plain and come to Adelaide just to wash your mouth out with soap Pyree.

You might have started out as an Asian ... but be are converting you my son.

Your an Aussie now so we are going to put you on a weight machine and biff you up ... get you a real sheila ... teach you how to swear ... play footy ... cast dispersion on umpires of all sport ... swim, surf, eat from a can and sleep on the beach. Your also expected to learn dreamtime stories and respect the tribal elders at welcome to country. If you can't shotgun a can of beer in 10 seconds there will be trouble.

Yes our Olympians are not doing so well at present but I am hoping for a strong finish.

The whippings will start after the closing ceremonies ... actually all of those silver and bronze medals are pretty awesome ... there is no shame in 2nd or 3rd.

August 3, 2012 2:04:22 PM

This is really funny... http://www.popsci.com/archive-viewer?id=pCkDAAAAMBAJ&pg...

Popular Science has been releasing their old archives and they recently pointed out this little gem. The title of the piece is "Why Men Beat Women at Sports" note this is from the 1926 Olympics, so before women were considered "People"

I think I can see Marv and Oldman in some of the pics....... I kid.
August 5, 2012 1:43:49 AM

Reynod said:
I am tempted to ride my camel across the nullaboor plain and come to Adelaide just to wash your mouth out with soap Pyree.

You might have started out as an Asian ... but be are converting you my son.

Your an Aussie now so we are going to put you on a weight machine and biff you up ... get you a real sheila ... teach you how to swear ... play footy ... cast dispersion on umpires of all sport ... swim, surf, eat from a can and sleep on the beach. Your also expected to learn dreamtime stories and respect the tribal elders at welcome to country. If you can't shotgun a can of beer in 10 seconds there will be trouble.

Yes our Olympians are not doing so well at present but I am hoping for a strong finish.

The whippings will start after the closing ceremonies ... actually all of those silver and bronze medals are pretty awesome ... there is no shame in 2nd or 3rd.

It really pisses me off when the kiwis is on 13th and the canuck who is really only good at curling is only 2 place below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/medals/countri...
August 5, 2012 12:11:36 PM

I am pretty impressed with the way the medals are being spread around the planet more which is a good thing really.

The US and China have retained their Olympic status but the rest of the world is more evenly spread with the medals and I think that is great.

One thing the Australian team lacks this time is a Sports Psychologist ... for some insane reason the Australian Olympic Committee decided to make some budget cuts and not send one ... how stupid is that??

Our committee needs to be sacked for such stupidity ... useless tools.

A Sports Psuchologist would have made sure the team was mentally prepared and assisted with the appropriate responses when an individual performed below expectations.

They would have rallied the team behind them.

A sports psych would have also provided support and mentoring for the younger new team members.

Our Australian Media also have a lot to answer for in terms of bagging our own athletes ...

Suzy O-Neil and the other Olypic hazbeens who have inanely made inappropriate comments should be ashamed of themselves ... I don't want to see her (or others that made negative comments) representing our country again in any official capacity on the media.

I kust hope the Australian Team realise there are a lot of proud Aussies watching them do their best for us ... their best is good enough for us ... the medal they win or not is just a bonus.
August 5, 2012 4:25:38 PM

A silver medal is nothing to sneeze at, seriously. Be proud Aussies!!
August 5, 2012 6:42:06 PM

*rubs 27 gold medals in their faces*
August 6, 2012 11:09:42 AM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
A silver medal is nothing to sneeze at, seriously. Be proud Aussies!!

Our media and Olypic commentators are getting stuck into them though ... I hope the athletes remember ... and don't grant them interviews accordingly.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-06/silver-medalist-w...

Mitchell Watt sums up the issue nicely ...

• 1 / 2
      • Newest
!