Worth installing this XP patch for AMD cpu?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2005 4:35:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

A month ago I upgraded my processor to an AMD Duron 1800.

When I went to get my Windows Update Patches today, I was given
the option to download this pathc for AMD hardware:

---------------- START --------------
Optional hardware updates

Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - AMD K7 Processor
Date last published: 5/15/2004
Download size: 31 KB

Advanced Micro Devices processor software update released on
December 17 2002.

System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
---------------- END --------------

The dates in that description look a bit old to me. I would guess
that this is some driver software to doi with XP's interface with
my AMD processor.

However does anyone know what this update actually does?

Is it worth me installing it?
August 20, 2005 5:56:11 PM

"Alex Coleman" <coalie@nomail.com> wrote in message
>A month ago I upgraded my processor to an AMD Duron 1800.
>
> When I went to get my Windows Update Patches today, I was given
> the option to download this pathc for AMD hardware:
>

> ---------------- START --------------
> Optional hardware updates
>
> Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - AMD K7 Processor
> Date last published: 5/15/2004
> Download size: 31 KB
>
> Advanced Micro Devices processor software update released on
> December 17 2002.
>
> System Requirements
> Recommended CPU: Not specified.
> Recommended memory: Not specified.
> Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
>

> The dates in that description look a bit old to me. I would guess
> that this is some driver software to doi with XP's interface with
> my AMD processor.
>
> However does anyone know what this update actually does?
>
> Is it worth me installing it?

If it ain't broke ... MS notoriously has outdated drivers for hardware.

Alias
!