Wots cooler

robin

i have a very annoyingly noisy TT volcano 9 smart (isnt) HSF. i need
something quieter. i did some work for a friend and he gave me a
coolermaster HSF ( no box or ID details) . its only got a 60mm fan and is
very noisy too.
would i be better taking the fan off the all copper coolermaster and mating
it up with a stealth fan with adaptor or just keeping my V9 aluminium HS
with copper insert.

TIA

i just want some peace and quiet

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:55:35 +0100, Robin wrote:

> i have a very annoyingly noisy TT volcano 9 smart (isnt) HSF. i need
> something quieter. i did some work for a friend and he gave me a
> coolermaster HSF ( no box or ID details) . its only got a 60mm fan and is
> very noisy too.
> would i be better taking the fan off the all copper coolermaster and mating
> it up with a stealth fan with adaptor or just keeping my V9 aluminium HS
> with copper insert.

The V9's fan goes up to 4800RPM for max cooling using the smart function.
Remove that and use the manual speed control. As long as you keep it
around 2500-3000rpm it should be quiet enough and cool enough.

OTOH, if you replace the 60mm fan on the cooler master with an adapter and
an 80MM fan you should also be ok. Assuming the CollerMaster is an
HCC-002, I'd say it may perform a little better (with same fan on both),
but I wouldn't swear on it.

i had it running at 4200rpm for a good while but it was noisy. Someone else
recommended running at around 3,500rpm and this is quite a lot quieter but
the temp has crept up to 47C on idle and 50-51C on load.
Still seems stable but i cant help feel it should be lower as standard XP
3200+ runs at 43C with the standard cooler.

You could try to get a better airflow inside your computer case.
Or a better exhaust fan,this can take of several degrees from your temps.
All in all those heatsinks are not very good at the job they should do.
Zallman makes very silent fans,maybe this is an option.
As for coolermaster,i have an aluminium heatsink with 70cm fan and it runs
at 3000rpm and is silent.
It did the job for my palomino,imo still one of the hottest chips.
Your difference between idle and load is good.
So get more fresh air in,and hot air out.

On a side note,i have a thermaltake volcano full copper with a 4800rpm fan
and it cooled less then the coolermaster silent one.

"RJAG" <robin@robingordon.wanadoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> i had it running at 4200rpm for a good while but it was noisy. Someone
else
> recommended running at around 3,500rpm and this is quite a lot quieter but
> the temp has crept up to 47C on idle and 50-51C on load.
> Still seems stable but i cant help feel it should be lower as standard XP
> 3200+ runs at 43C with the standard cooler.

TRENDING THREADS