performance gain from 2400+ to 3000+

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi i have xp 1700+ overclocked to 2400+ by changing fsb from 133 to
166. i was wondering if there will be a noticeable performace gain if
i upgrade the chip to 3000+ since it's the max speed my mb can
support(kt400). TIA

david

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

What are you using your system for?

--
"All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
more ludicrous the analogy!"
"dave" <d@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi i have xp 1700+ overclocked to 2400+ by changing fsb from 133 to
> 166. i was wondering if there will be a noticeable performace gain if
> i upgrade the chip to 3000+ since it's the max speed my mb can
> support(kt400). TIA
>
> david

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

mostly, dvd ripping and encoding, multimedia stuff

dave

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:26:39 -0400, "chris" <chrisNOTSPAM@NOYB.com>
wrote:

>What are you using your system for?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

From a performance point of view, I hate to say it....Intel is the best
choice for that type of work. However, to answer your question, take a look
at the following link.....

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-18.html

--
> mostly, dvd ripping and encoding, multimedia stuff
>

> dave
>

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:26:39 -0400, "chris" <chrisNOTSPAM@NOYB.com>
> wrote:
>
> >What are you using your system for?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Thank for the info. i'm thinking i'll just get the compaq SR1010Z
athlon 64 3400+ system from hp.com for about 399 after rebate. how
much performance gain will it get from xp 2400+ to athlon 64 3400+?
i'm using it mostly for multimedia. TIA

david

dave <d@yahoo.com> writes:
>Thank for the info. i'm thinking i'll just get the compaq SR1010Z
>athlon 64 3400+ system from hp.com for about 399 after rebate. how
>much performance gain will it get from xp 2400+ to athlon 64 3400+?
>i'm using it mostly for multimedia. TIA

I don't do video but for number crunching I did a comparison between
an xp 2000 and an xp 3400. Gain in speed was maybe 20%. I didn't
have the resources to determine where the bottleneck was. So I
decided to divide the job into pieces and run it on multiple machines.