AMD newbie need help need to overclock AMD X2 4440+ to 480..

jean

I'm coming from Intel and this is my first AMD CPU and I don't know how to overclock ?

For my previous pentium it was easy, only had to increase FSB and adjust the memory ratio setting.

My memory is OCZ PC3500 433mhz, my MB is Asus SLI premium

There is a lot of settings..... MAX memory clock ? Hyper transport ?

It's easy to overclock the CPU but then the hyper transport speed will be lower, memory too ?? If I
overclock the memory then the CPU multiplier will go down.. I'm lost.

What must I do exactly in the bios to overclock to 2.37 ghz (11x217mhz)

Thanks

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:57:30 -0400, Jean wrote:

> I'm coming from Intel and this is my first AMD CPU and I don't know how
> to overclock ?
> For my previous pentium it was easy, only had to increase FSB and
> adjust the memory ratio setting.
> My memory is OCZ PC3500 433mhz, my MB is Asus SLI premium
> There is a lot of settings..... MAX memory clock ? Hyper transport ?
> It's easy to overclock the CPU but then the hyper transport speed will
> be lower, memory too ?? If I overclock the memory then the CPU
> multiplier will go down.. I'm lost.
>
> What must I do exactly in the bios to overclock to 2.37 ghz (11x217mhz)

You clock the AMD the same way as Intel, multiplier x FSB clock. And where
you may need to raise cpu voltage with an Intel cpu, you may need to raise
it with an AMD cpu. And where you may have to adjust the memory bus with
an Intel cpu, you may have to adjust it with an AMD cpu. The only
difference is the HT link. Setting the FSB to 217 shouldn't cause the HT
link to fail, but if it does, just lower the HT link multiplier by one,
say from 5x to 4x. Don't worry about how low you set the HT link. It will
not have any noticable impact on performance since memory data uses it's
own bus direct to the cpu. With a cpu with an 11 multiplier, you should be
able to get 11x233 fairly easy. This , while not the best timings, should
easily work; Set FSB to 233, HT down 1 notch (5 to 4, or 4 to 3), raise
vcore by .1 or .2v, set ram manually to 166Mhz. Reboot.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

> You clock the AMD the same way as Intel, multiplier x FSB clock. And where
> you may need to raise cpu voltage with an Intel cpu, you may need to raise
> it with an AMD cpu. And where you may have to adjust the memory bus with
> an Intel cpu, you may have to adjust it with an AMD cpu. The only
> difference is the HT link. Setting the FSB to 217 shouldn't cause the HT
> link to fail, but if it does, just lower the HT link multiplier by one,
> say from 5x to 4x. Don't worry about how low you set the HT link. It will
> not have any noticable impact on performance since memory data uses it's
> own bus direct to the cpu. With a cpu with an 11 multiplier, you should be
> able to get 11x233 fairly easy. This , while not the best timings, should
> easily work; Set FSB to 233, HT down 1 notch (5 to 4, or 4 to 3), raise
> vcore by .1 or .2v, set ram manually to 166Mhz. Reboot.

Set RAM to 166? I'm not familiar with X2 CPUs ... but, shouldn't the
setting be the same as CPU bus speed? I always thought that using memory
out of sync with CPU bus speed results in a serous performance loss?! No?

jean

thanks...Could I buy OCZ PC4000 500mhz and set the memory to 466mhz in your setting...and if I push the
bus to 250mhz can I set the memory to 500mhz ?

thanks

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:00:50 -0400, chris wrote:

> Set RAM to 166? I'm not familiar with X2 CPUs ... but, shouldn't the
> setting be the same as CPU bus speed? I always thought that using memory
> out of sync with CPU bus speed results in a serous performance loss?! No?

Not really, and less so with the K8 since it has it's own bus and data
goes direct to cpu rather than through the chipset and FSB.

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:55:15 -0400, Jean wrote:

> thanks...Could I buy OCZ PC4000 500mhz and set the memory to 466mhz in
> your setting...and if I push the bus to 250mhz can I set the memory to
> 500mhz ?

You could use PC4000 and if you set the ram to 200MHz (should be max
setting), the ram bus speed will increase with the FSB overclock. But you
won't gain much. Of course if the ram price isn't much more, it sure
wouldn't hurt.

jean

In the ASUS bios I can chose MAXMEM CLOCK up to DDR600mhz ?

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:19:20 -0400, Jean wrote:

> In the ASUS bios I can chose MAXMEM CLOCK up to DDR600mhz ?

DDR600 is 300MHz, not 600. But I wasn't aware AMD had added anything
official over DDR400 (200MHz).

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Jean wrote:
> I'm coming from Intel and this is my first AMD CPU and I don't know how to overclock ?
>
> For my previous pentium it was easy, only had to increase FSB and adjust the memory ratio setting.
>

> My memory is OCZ PC3500 433mhz, my MB is Asus SLI premium
>
> There is a lot of settings..... MAX memory clock ? Hyper transport ?
>
> It's easy to overclock the CPU but then the hyper transport speed will be lower, memory too ?? If I
> overclock the memory then the CPU multiplier will go down.. I'm lost.
>

> What must I do exactly in the bios to overclock to 2.37 ghz (11x217mhz)
>
> Thanks

Try this link. http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=overclocka64

It is a very interesting primer on OC of Athelon 64.

I just bought a AMD Mobile 64 3000+ from Newegg. Will be experimenting
with desk top and this proc.

Cheers