Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2500+

Has anyone overclocked an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU using this board?
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm

More specifically, is it EASY? I ask, because I've successfully overclocked
this same CPU using the FIC AU13 motherboard, and it's VERY easy. Just
change one setting in the BIOS from 166 to 200. (The CPU uses the 11x
multiplier.)

I'm considering building another system, buying another Athlon XP 2500+
chip, but using the Asus board this time.

Any general feedback or specific comments would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Donny Broome
donny AT broomeman DOT com
Kill Spyware! Visit:
http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/
Overclock it!
http://www.broomeman.com/athlonxp/

"Donny Broome" <donny@broomeman.DOTcom> wrote in message
> Has anyone overclocked an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU using this board?
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm
>
> More specifically, is it EASY? I ask, because I've successfully
> overclocked this same CPU using the FIC AU13 motherboard, and it's VERY
> easy. Just change one setting in the BIOS from 166 to 200. (The CPU uses
> the 11x multiplier.)
>
> I'm considering building another system, buying another Athlon XP 2500+
> chip, but using the Asus board this time.
>
> Any general feedback or specific comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thank You,

I have an A7N8X-X and an A7N8X Deluxe here running Barton 2500+ CPU's at 11
x 200 simply by changing the FSB from 166 to 200. No other BIOS changes were
required here.

FWIW, the Deluxe is your board with extra features while the -X is the
economy model that does not support dual channel memory.

Many thanks. Excellent. I really appreciate it.

-Donny

"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message

> "Donny Broome" <donny@broomeman.DOTcom> wrote in message
>> Has anyone overclocked an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU using this board?
>> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm
>>
>> More specifically, is it EASY? I ask, because I've successfully
>> overclocked this same CPU using the FIC AU13 motherboard, and it's VERY
>> easy. Just change one setting in the BIOS from 166 to 200. (The CPU uses
>> the 11x multiplier.)
>>
>> I'm considering building another system, buying another Athlon XP 2500+
>> chip, but using the Asus board this time.
>>
>> Any general feedback or specific comments would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thank You,
>>
> I have an A7N8X-X and an A7N8X Deluxe here running Barton 2500+ CPU's at
> 11 x 200 simply by changing the FSB from 166 to 200. No other BIOS changes
> were required here.
>
> FWIW, the Deluxe is your board with extra features while the -X is the
> economy model that does not support dual channel memory.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Donny Broome" <donny@broomeman.DOTcom> wrote in message
> Has anyone overclocked an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU using this board?
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm
>
> More specifically, is it EASY? I ask, because I've successfully overclocked
> this same CPU using the FIC AU13 motherboard, and it's VERY easy. Just change
> one setting in the BIOS from 166 to 200. (The CPU uses the 11x multiplier.)
>
> I'm considering building another system, buying another Athlon XP 2500+ chip,
> but using the Asus board this time.
>
> Any general feedback or specific comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thank You,

I'm using this very board the moment. Before I bought the Athlon 3200+ I was
using the 2600+ which had unlocked multipliers. All I did was changed the FSB to
200 downed the multiplier a bit to get me up to 2Ghz. I even tried the
multiplier at 11.5x and it did boot up but was a little unstable especially
playing games - where it would suddenly reboot or had memory exception errors.

So if the 2500+ is unlocked and you have 200MHz memory modules installed you
could easily try 200MHz settings but might need to lower the multiplier
initially.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have three of them running right now. 1 has the AthlonXP 2500 barton. It
is running at 200mhz fsb and the bios reports it as an Athlon XP3200. I've
been running it like this for about a year. The other two motherboards are
running Athlon XP2100. They are both being reported by the bios at an
XP2800. I've been very happy with this motherboard.
The Barton 2500+ didn't need the voltage bumped either. It is running at
default voltage.

Bob

"888" <none@space.com> wrote in message

> "Donny Broome" <donny@broomeman.DOTcom> wrote in message
>> Has anyone overclocked an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU using this board?
>> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm
>>
>> More specifically, is it EASY? I ask, because I've successfully
>> overclocked this same CPU using the FIC AU13 motherboard, and it's VERY
>> easy. Just change one setting in the BIOS from 166 to 200. (The CPU uses
>> the 11x multiplier.)
>>
>> I'm considering building another system, buying another Athlon XP 2500+
>> chip, but using the Asus board this time.
>>
>> Any general feedback or specific comments would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thank You,
>>

> I'm using this very board the moment. Before I bought the Athlon 3200+ I
> was using the 2600+ which had unlocked multipliers. All I did was changed
> the FSB to 200 downed the multiplier a bit to get me up to 2Ghz. I even
> tried the multiplier at 11.5x and it did boot up but was a little unstable
> especially playing games - where it would suddenly reboot or had memory
> exception errors.
>
> So if the 2500+ is unlocked and you have 200MHz memory modules installed
> you could easily try 200MHz settings but might need to lower the
> multiplier initially.

Thank you.

"Bob" <News.BigNorm@choicemail1.com> wrote in message
>I have three of them running right now. 1 has the AthlonXP 2500 barton. It
>is running at 200mhz fsb and the bios reports it as an Athlon XP3200. I've
>been running it like this for about a year. The other two motherboards are
>running Athlon XP2100. They are both being reported by the bios at an
>XP2800. I've been very happy with this motherboard.
> The Barton 2500+ didn't need the voltage bumped either. It is running at
> default voltage.
>
> Bob
>

> "888" <none@space.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Donny Broome" <donny@broomeman.DOTcom> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone overclocked an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU using this board?
>>> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm
>>>
>>> More specifically, is it EASY? I ask, because I've successfully
>>> overclocked this same CPU using the FIC AU13 motherboard, and it's VERY
>>> easy. Just change one setting in the BIOS from 166 to 200. (The CPU uses
>>> the 11x multiplier.)
>>>
>>> I'm considering building another system, buying another Athlon XP 2500+
>>> chip, but using the Asus board this time.
>>>
>>> Any general feedback or specific comments would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank You,
>>>

>> I'm using this very board the moment. Before I bought the Athlon 3200+ I
>> was using the 2600+ which had unlocked multipliers. All I did was changed
>> the FSB to 200 downed the multiplier a bit to get me up to 2Ghz. I even
>> tried the multiplier at 11.5x and it did boot up but was a little
>> unstable especially playing games - where it would suddenly reboot or had
>> memory exception errors.
>>
>> So if the 2500+ is unlocked and you have 200MHz memory modules installed
>> you could easily try 200MHz settings but might need to lower the
>> multiplier initially.

gringo

lucky you lot - i can't make it up 400 mhz - 390mhz is the best I seem to
get - close enough ~

"Bob" <News.BigNorm@choicemail1.com> wrote in message
>I have three of them running right now. 1 has the AthlonXP 2500 barton. It
>is running at 200mhz fsb and the bios reports it as an Athlon XP3200. I've
>been running it like this for about a year. The other two motherboards are
>running Athlon XP2100. They are both being reported by the bios at an
>XP2800. I've been very happy with this motherboard.
> The Barton 2500+ didn't need the voltage bumped either. It is running at
> default voltage.
>
> Bob
>

> "888" <none@space.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Donny Broome" <donny@broomeman.DOTcom> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone overclocked an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU using this board?
>>> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm
>>>
>>> More specifically, is it EASY? I ask, because I've successfully
>>> overclocked this same CPU using the FIC AU13 motherboard, and it's VERY
>>> easy. Just change one setting in the BIOS from 166 to 200. (The CPU uses
>>> the 11x multiplier.)
>>>
>>> I'm considering building another system, buying another Athlon XP 2500+
>>> chip, but using the Asus board this time.
>>>
>>> Any general feedback or specific comments would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank You,
>>>

>> I'm using this very board the moment. Before I bought the Athlon 3200+ I
>> was using the 2600+ which had unlocked multipliers. All I did was changed
>> the FSB to 200 downed the multiplier a bit to get me up to 2Ghz. I even
>> tried the multiplier at 11.5x and it did boot up but was a little
>> unstable especially playing games - where it would suddenly reboot or had
>> memory exception errors.
>>
>> So if the 2500+ is unlocked and you have 200MHz memory modules installed
>> you could easily try 200MHz settings but might need to lower the
>> multiplier initially.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"beloved patriot" <holycrapuscuk@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> lucky you lot - i can't make it up 400 mhz - 390mhz is the best I seem to
> get - close enough ~

Did you lower your multiplier? If I didn't lower it the "default" clock would be
too high to handle and would make my system unstable.

gringo

its locked, so no.

> "beloved patriot" <holycrapuscuk@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> lucky you lot - i can't make it up 400 mhz - 390mhz is the best I seem to
>> get - close enough ~
>>

> Did you lower your multiplier? If I didn't lower it the "default" clock
> would be too high to handle and would make my system unstable.

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
I have a Barton Core 2500+ that is apparently unlocked. Although sometimes when i tried to oc it, it wouldnt work. But after a recent system dust cleaning i was able to change the multi to 12.5X. I was wondering if anyone knows how to use the higher multis every time i do it acts as if i am underclocking it. I am running 2700 memory so i cant just switch the fsb to 200. I am planning on working up the fsb as much as possible but would like to jack that multi sky high if possible. OCd and reading as a 2800+ I am currently running at 34C so heat is not an issue. I have a Asus A7N8X deluxe board rev 1 but bios is fully updated.