amd64 frequent reboots

Hi,

Just one month ago I got a new AMD computer (amd64 3000+ (939 socket), MB
Asus A8VE deluxe, 1GB RAM (Kingston), GeForce 6600 - 256 MB) which I loaded
with Windows XP (32bit version) and service pack 2. I think I also installed
the most recent drivers for every component and I run everything in its
default configuration: no overclocking and no cool & quiet options.

Everything seems to run OK (no bios warning messages at boot time, no
apparent overheating when I look at the temp monitor), however I experience
random reboots that occur at any time: either after having the computer
running overnight or just after turning it on. It doesn't seem related to
the execution of any particular software either.

I read somewhere that the Service Pack 2 could be responsible for this kind
of behavior. Does anyone know if that could be true? Otherwise, could anyone
suggest a possible solution or a way to find out if it is a hardware
problem? Any advice will be appreciated.

Jordi
2 answers Last reply
More about amd64 frequent reboots

    "JB" <jbujons1@ya.com> wrote in message news:dejsd0$g15$1@news.ya.com...
    > Hi,
    >

    > Just one month ago I got a new AMD computer (amd64 3000+ (939 socket), MB
    > Asus A8VE deluxe, 1GB RAM (Kingston), GeForce 6600 - 256 MB) which I loaded
    > with Windows XP (32bit version) and service pack 2. I think I also installed
    > the most recent drivers for every component and I run everything in its
    > default configuration: no overclocking and no cool & quiet options.
    >
    > Everything seems to run OK (no bios warning messages at boot time, no
    > apparent overheating when I look at the temp monitor), however I experience
    > random reboots that occur at any time: either after having the computer
    > running overnight or just after turning it on. It doesn't seem related to
    > the execution of any particular software either.
    >
    > I read somewhere that the Service Pack 2 could be responsible for this kind
    > of behavior. Does anyone know if that could be true? Otherwise, could anyone
    > suggest a possible solution or a way to find out if it is a hardware
    > problem? Any advice will be appreciated.

    Sounds very likely to unstable/uncompatible memory modules.

    You can check your memory with various testing software.
    Also your power supply unit can be responsible for this behaviour.
    Try to run a demanding videogame and see if this trickers the reboot.
    I have not heard yet about this kind of behaviour from service pack 2.

    "888" <none@space.com> schreef in bericht

    > "JB" <jbujons1@ya.com> wrote in message news:dejsd0$g15$1@news.ya.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >

    > > Just one month ago I got a new AMD computer (amd64 3000+ (939 socket),
    MB
    > > Asus A8VE deluxe, 1GB RAM (Kingston), GeForce 6600 - 256 MB) which I
    loaded
    > > with Windows XP (32bit version) and service pack 2. I think I also
    installed
    > > the most recent drivers for every component and I run everything in its
    > > default configuration: no overclocking and no cool & quiet options.
    > >
    > > Everything seems to run OK (no bios warning messages at boot time, no
    > > apparent overheating when I look at the temp monitor), however I
    experience
    > > random reboots that occur at any time: either after having the computer
    > > running overnight or just after turning it on. It doesn't seem related
    > > the execution of any particular software either.
    > >
    > > I read somewhere that the Service Pack 2 could be responsible for this
    kind
    > > of behavior. Does anyone know if that could be true? Otherwise, could
    anyone
    > > suggest a possible solution or a way to find out if it is a hardware
    > > problem? Any advice will be appreciated.
    > >

    > Sounds very likely to unstable/uncompatible memory modules.

AMD Overclocking