amd64 frequent reboots

JB

Hi,

Just one month ago I got a new AMD computer (amd64 3000+ (939 socket), MB
Asus A8VE deluxe, 1GB RAM (Kingston), GeForce 6600 - 256 MB) which I loaded
with Windows XP (32bit version) and service pack 2. I think I also installed
the most recent drivers for every component and I run everything in its
default configuration: no overclocking and no cool & quiet options.

Everything seems to run OK (no bios warning messages at boot time, no
apparent overheating when I look at the temp monitor), however I experience
random reboots that occur at any time: either after having the computer
running overnight or just after turning it on. It doesn't seem related to
the execution of any particular software either.

I read somewhere that the Service Pack 2 could be responsible for this kind
of behavior. Does anyone know if that could be true? Otherwise, could anyone
suggest a possible solution or a way to find out if it is a hardware
problem? Any advice will be appreciated.

Jordi

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"JB" <jbujons1@ya.com> wrote in message news:dejsd0$g15$1@news.ya.com...
> Hi,
>

> Just one month ago I got a new AMD computer (amd64 3000+ (939 socket), MB
> Asus A8VE deluxe, 1GB RAM (Kingston), GeForce 6600 - 256 MB) which I loaded
> with Windows XP (32bit version) and service pack 2. I think I also installed
> the most recent drivers for every component and I run everything in its
> default configuration: no overclocking and no cool & quiet options.
>
> Everything seems to run OK (no bios warning messages at boot time, no
> apparent overheating when I look at the temp monitor), however I experience
> random reboots that occur at any time: either after having the computer
> running overnight or just after turning it on. It doesn't seem related to
> the execution of any particular software either.
>
> I read somewhere that the Service Pack 2 could be responsible for this kind
> of behavior. Does anyone know if that could be true? Otherwise, could anyone
> suggest a possible solution or a way to find out if it is a hardware
> problem? Any advice will be appreciated.

Sounds very likely to unstable/uncompatible memory modules.

You can check your memory with various testing software.
Also your power supply unit can be responsible for this behaviour.
Try to run a demanding videogame and see if this trickers the reboot.
I have not heard yet about this kind of behaviour from service pack 2.