Canon i550 print problem - nozzles?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

My Canon i550 has been working beautifully - until this week. After
changing the yellow ink cartridge, print results turned sour.

When I run a nozzle check, I see that the black, red and yellow print
grids are fine. But the blue grid alternates a full height grid, then
the top half of a grid, then a full grid again, etc. (you probably
need to know what a Canon nozzle check printout looks like for this to
make any sense.) The patches underneath the grids are fine for A, D
and C. B (the blue mesh) prints fine at top, but only stripes of the
mesh on the bottom. E (fine blue mesh) prints top half only. F is
black on top and blackish red on bottom.

I have changed the yellow, blue and black cartridges, and have run a
dozen deep cleaning cycles.

Any ideas whether this is a correctable condition? Might reloading
the print drivers work? If so, how do I do that?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Brian

"Brian" <bdz000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My Canon i550 has been working beautifully - until this week. After
> changing the yellow ink cartridge, print results turned sour.
>
> When I run a nozzle check, I see that the black, red and yellow print
> grids are fine. But the blue grid alternates a full height grid, then
> the top half of a grid, then a full grid again, etc. (you probably
> need to know what a Canon nozzle check printout looks like for this to
> make any sense.) The patches underneath the grids are fine for A, D
> and C. B (the blue mesh) prints fine at top, but only stripes of the
> mesh on the bottom. E (fine blue mesh) prints top half only. F is
> black on top and blackish red on bottom.
>
> I have changed the yellow, blue and black cartridges, and have run a
> dozen deep cleaning cycles.
>
> Any ideas whether this is a correctable condition? Might reloading
> the print drivers work? If so, how do I do that?
>
> All suggestions gratefully received.

The symptoms you describe are hardware and not software related so a driver
reinstall will not work.
A dozen deep cleans is excessive and anything over 3-5 is at best a waste of
ink. If a nozzle self test from the printer buttons (not the driver) gives
the same results then it is most likely a clogged/failed printhead. This is
a serviceable part and is also covered under the printers warranty in most
countries (including the U.S.). If out of warranty you can order a
replacement from Canon Parts.

TR

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:37:38 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>If a nozzle self test from the printer buttons (not the driver)

Would you happen to know what all the printer button sequences that
are available on an i960 are?

Regards,
TR

I have a new I550 head if you need one.I am in the US