So..?! What's the best value/speed right now?

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2005 11:49:37 PM

My first big upgrade was a 200mgz to a Celeron 300A that I clocked to 450.
That was a DEAL & I loved the performance. I was happy for a while.
Then it was a flip-chip P3 600 clocked at 800. I was happy.
Then P4s came out, over-priced, neutered, & I jumped ship to AMD & got an
1800+ but ran it at it's rated speed. Still saved a ton over a P4. I
was happy.
Then, & finally I am running a 2500+ (1833) at 3200+ (2200) & I am getting
the itch. Been running this CPU for over two years. TWO YEARS!!?!

I am feeling an onset of Upgrade Fever.

What is the speed vs value deal going right now? To be honest, I kept
myself away from the hardware pages/groups to keep from catching the Fever &
I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be lookin at
Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up to expensive
speeds? =)

Best MB or at least chipset to go with that CPU would also help.

TIA!

More about : speed

September 5, 2005 3:00:24 PM

same boat here - can't make up my mind so I think I'll keep it. XP 64
doesn't interest me.

"Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message
news:p fydnSEGjc5yG4beRVn-jg@comcast.com...
> My first big upgrade was a 200mgz to a Celeron 300A that I clocked to 450.
> That was a DEAL & I loved the performance. I was happy for a while.
> Then it was a flip-chip P3 600 clocked at 800. I was happy.
> Then P4s came out, over-priced, neutered, & I jumped ship to AMD & got an
> 1800+ but ran it at it's rated speed. Still saved a ton over a P4. I
> was happy.
> Then, & finally I am running a 2500+ (1833) at 3200+ (2200) & I am getting
> the itch. Been running this CPU for over two years. TWO YEARS!!?!
>
> I am feeling an onset of Upgrade Fever.
>
> What is the speed vs value deal going right now? To be honest, I kept
> myself away from the hardware pages/groups to keep from catching the Fever
> &
> I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be lookin
> at
> Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up to expensive
> speeds? =)
>
> Best MB or at least chipset to go with that CPU would also help.
>
> TIA!

September 5, 2005 4:43:07 PM

"Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message
news:p fydnSEGjc5yG4beRVn-jg@comcast.com...
> My first big upgrade was a 200mgz to a Celeron 300A that I clocked to 450.
> That was a DEAL & I loved the performance. I was happy for a while.
> Then it was a flip-chip P3 600 clocked at 800. I was happy.
> Then P4s came out, over-priced, neutered, & I jumped ship to AMD & got an
> 1800+ but ran it at it's rated speed. Still saved a ton over a P4. I
> was happy.
> Then, & finally I am running a 2500+ (1833) at 3200+ (2200) & I am getting
> the itch. Been running this CPU for over two years. TWO YEARS!!?!
>
> I am feeling an onset of Upgrade Fever.
>
> What is the speed vs value deal going right now? To be honest, I kept
> myself away from the hardware pages/groups to keep from catching the Fever &
> I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be lookin at
> Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up to expensive
> speeds? =)
>
> Best MB or at least chipset to go with that CPU would also help.

Best CPU: Any socket939 AMD64 really and straight forward to choose from.

Best Mobo: I recommened (and most others would agree too) the nForce4 series
chipset. nForce4 Ultra is the least I would get. I've been looking around for
good motherboards recently and the MSI K8N SLI Platinum is a very decent board.
Slightly above the average price of a standard mobo but it's worth the
investment.
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2005 4:43:08 PM

"888" <none@space.com> wrote in message

> "Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message
> news:p fydnSEGjc5yG4beRVn-jg@comcast.com...
>> My first big upgrade was a 200mgz to a Celeron 300A that I clocked to
>> 450.
>> That was a DEAL & I loved the performance. I was happy for a while.
>> Then it was a flip-chip P3 600 clocked at 800. I was happy.
>> Then P4s came out, over-priced, neutered, & I jumped ship to AMD & got an
>> 1800+ but ran it at it's rated speed. Still saved a ton over a P4. I
>> was happy.
>> Then, & finally I am running a 2500+ (1833) at 3200+ (2200) & I am
>> getting
>> the itch. Been running this CPU for over two years. TWO YEARS!!?!
>>
>> I am feeling an onset of Upgrade Fever.
>>
>> What is the speed vs value deal going right now? To be honest, I kept
>> myself away from the hardware pages/groups to keep from catching the
>> Fever &
>> I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be lookin
>> at
>> Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up to
>> expensive
>> speeds? =)
>>
>> Best MB or at least chipset to go with that CPU would also help.
>
> Best CPU: Any socket939 AMD64 really and straight forward to choose from.
>
> Best Mobo: I recommened (and most others would agree too) the nForce4
> series chipset. nForce4 Ultra is the least I would get. I've been looking
> around for good motherboards recently and the MSI K8N SLI Platinum is a
> very decent board. Slightly above the average price of a standard mobo but
> it's worth the investment.

Woah! 3800+ X2! $374.00 at Newegg. Pricey but possible. I currently
own a 6800GT AGP so as far as I can tell (at Newegg) I can't get an Nforce4.
=/

Any recommendations for an AGP board? Also I got 2-512 sticks of Mushkin
RAM PC3200 that I want to use. Is the NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra a good chipset?
I been lovin by nForce2.
September 5, 2005 5:29:52 PM

Best CPU now seems to be the 3800+ X2, which overclocks easily to 4800+.

rms
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2005 9:56:30 PM

nforce4 ultra boards are excellent,i'm very happy with mine.
Now i have an amd64 3800+,and it can oc to 2.7Ghz easy,but i read much about
the amd64 3200 venice also clocking around 2.7Ghz.
I love it and my skt939 leaves me some upgrade possibilities also.
Expect your games running alot faster with such a setup compared to what
you've got now.

"888" <none@space.com> schreef in bericht

> "Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message
> news:p fydnSEGjc5yG4beRVn-jg@comcast.com...
> > My first big upgrade was a 200mgz to a Celeron 300A that I clocked to
450.
> > That was a DEAL & I loved the performance. I was happy for a while.
> > Then it was a flip-chip P3 600 clocked at 800. I was happy.
> > Then P4s came out, over-priced, neutered, & I jumped ship to AMD & got
an
> > 1800+ but ran it at it's rated speed. Still saved a ton over a P4. I
> > was happy.
> > Then, & finally I am running a 2500+ (1833) at 3200+ (2200) & I am
getting
> > the itch. Been running this CPU for over two years. TWO YEARS!!?!
> >
> > I am feeling an onset of Upgrade Fever.
> >
> > What is the speed vs value deal going right now? To be honest, I kept
> > myself away from the hardware pages/groups to keep from catching the
Fever &
> > I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be lookin
at
> > Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up to
expensive
> > speeds? =)
> >
> > Best MB or at least chipset to go with that CPU would also help.
>
> Best CPU: Any socket939 AMD64 really and straight forward to choose from.
>
> Best Mobo: I recommened (and most others would agree too) the nForce4
series
> chipset. nForce4 Ultra is the least I would get. I've been looking around
for
> good motherboards recently and the MSI K8N SLI Platinum is a very decent
board.
> Slightly above the average price of a standard mobo but it's worth the
> investment.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2005 9:54:00 PM

If you want to be safe then don't buy an NF3 Ultra chipset board like my MSI
Neo2 Platinum (which is sitting in it's box right now) if you own a 6800 GT
video card. There are hundreds of pages of the pausing and stuttering
problems with this combo when playing D3D games on many different forums. I
only wish I knew about this before I purchased the NF3 Ultra board over 3
months ago. I now have an ASUS A8V Deluxe Rev. 2 which I installed over 2
weeks ago and works great with my BFG 6800 GT OC, unlike my NF3 board which
had constant problems in D3D games only. All OpenGL games ran great, it was
only D3D games that had the problem. If you had an ATI card you also
wouldn't have the problem with an NF3 chipset board. Below are a couple of
forums to go to where many of us have posted problems with the NF3 and 68XX
problem. Also, my system spec's are shown below.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=938842&page=1...

AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.6 Ghz/Retail HSF
Was a MSI Neo2 Platinum/Bios Ver. 1.A
Now an ASUS A8V Deluxe Ver. 2 Bios 1014
OS: Win XP Pro/SP2
Antec SmartPower 350W +3.3V/28A +5V/35A +12V/21A
BFG 6800GT OC 370/1000
1 Gig OCZ PC3500 2.5-3-3-7-2T Dual Channel
Maxtor 250 Gig ATA 133/Primary IDE Master
WDC 80 Gig ATA 100/Primary IDE Slave
Seagate 160 Gig SATA Drive
Plextor DVDR PX-708A Sec. IDE Master
Liteon JLMS XJ-HD166S Sec. IDE Slave
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2005 4:18:31 PM

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> Best CPU now seems to be the 3800+ X2, which overclocks easily to 4800+.

Does this chip somehow manufacture another 512K of cache? The 4800+ has
1MB. A 4600+ would be a more accurate comparison.

> rms

December 10, 2005 1:41:43 AM

If i were you and you'd do some gaming id get this and ur on a budget...
Amd64 939 3000
msi k8t neo2
512mb cosair value ram
Msi or leadtek 6600gt 128mb card

all that is gona cost ya. about 500$
December 12, 2005 10:46:52 PM

Like others said, it depends on what your goals are. If you are going for pure performance at cheapest prices and its concentrated in mainly one app at a time, by all means get the 939 3000+ AMD. They go for like $150ish and it seems you can get a easy OC of 2.6GHz+ with them. You don't even need fast ram, just use a memory divider.

I personally went the 3800+ route, just couldn't resist the allure of dualcore I am jumping up from a XP2600 mobile and XP3200+ I both oced to 2.4GHz. I figured I wouldn't see that dramatic a jump if I upgraded to a single core A64. Alteast, not enought to warrant spending ~600+ for a new mobo, Graphics card, and CPU.

Now my 3800 X2 runs at 2.7GHz (still not done tweaking, will prob end up around 2.8GHz), which means its close to a single 4000+ for gaming and beats the pants off the single cores for video conversion and multitasking.

All for ~$300. Not bad considering dualcore seems to be the wave of the future.
December 13, 2005 1:12:27 PM

did you d/load any patches/updates from amd or microsoft sites to go with that 3800X2?
December 13, 2005 7:14:50 PM

Yep, I had to update the BIOS on my Lanparty Ultra-D to support dualcores (before that it was only seeing one core), then the AMD dual core update from amd.com, and then finally then windows tweaks from windows update. No trouble at all.
December 15, 2005 9:19:41 AM

Will a duel core CPU work with an older mobo? I right now have a MSI K8 Neo2 with Nforce 2 ultra. Would love to get a dual core CPU and not have to upgrade a lot of other things.

Also something else. I've tried to OC my 3000+ 90nm 939 socket with pc400 ram with no success. Could my mobo and chipset be the problem. The CPU and ram should be able to handle it. I've also read some where that other PCI cards can screw with the OC process. Only think I have in PCI is my Sound Blaster Live! Value card which is like 5 years old. Haha.
December 16, 2005 4:40:33 PM

Check with MSI on the Neo2 to be sure, but I think it can do dual core with a bios update. Wait - nForce 2? I hope you meant nForce 3... :)

Try running the RAM at 166 and bumping up the CPU and see how far you get... (Not all PC3200 RAM can go over PC3200.)

You should not have a problem with that mobo and PCI cards. The PCI bus should be locked - or you can lock it in BIOS - at 33mhz.

Mike.
December 20, 2005 1:06:41 AM

Quote:
Best CPU now seems to be the 3800+ X2, which overclocks easily to 4800+.

rms

do you use any special HSF or water cooling with that oc...? i got X2 4200+ how far do you think it'll be able to go? only got stock HSF on ASUS A8N32-SLI and my memory is Corsair TwinX 1024 3200LLPT
!