Duron overclock and temps

I have my Duron 1.8GHz over clocked to 1.9GHz. After running a bunch of
..mpg files while defragging the HD and other operations, the CPU was up to
48 degrees C with a case temp of 37 degrees C. Could anyone comment if this
is a typical CPU temp? Is the difference btwn case and CPU temps unusual
(its bigger than with my other computers)? I currently am using one of
those CPU shims to keep the HSF from damaging the CPU but am wondering
whether I'm getting good contact btwn the CPU and HSF. Yes I am using
heatsink compound. I have one medium speed 80mm case fan in the front of
the case and the PS has 2 built in 80mm case fans. The case in a smaller
mid size tower (won't take full size MBs).

Thanks.

BigSky

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:01:50 -0700, Big Sky wrote:

> I have my Duron 1.8GHz over clocked to 1.9GHz. After running a bunch of
> .mpg files while defragging the HD and other operations, the CPU was up to
> 48 degrees C with a case temp of 37 degrees C. Could anyone comment if this
> is a typical CPU temp? Is the difference btwn case and CPU temps unusual
> (its bigger than with my other computers)? I currently am using one of
> those CPU shims to keep the HSF from damaging the CPU but am wondering
> whether I'm getting good contact btwn the CPU and HSF. Yes I am using
> heatsink compound. I have one medium speed 80mm case fan in the front of
> the case and the PS has 2 built in 80mm case fans. The case in a smaller
> mid size tower (won't take full size MBs).

Nothing wrong with the CPU temp, but the case temp is higher than I'd
like. Of course it could be because it's in a warm room, but if your case
temp goes up considerably under heavy use, you should consider better
ventilation.

Thanks. The case is a dated Micron case so my ventilation options are
limited to the front fan and PSU fan unless I want to cut some holes...oh
man, have I butchered some cases before. I want to avoid any high RPM fans
because I want to use this computer as my HTPC in the living room.

I do have a nice quiet 120 mm fan as well as a temp sensor 80mm fan...if I
could just get the nerve to try cutting holes in sheet steel again...

BigSky

> Nothing wrong with the CPU temp, but the case temp is higher than I'd
> like. Of course it could be because it's in a warm room, but if your case
> temp goes up considerably under heavy use, you should consider better
> ventilation.
>
> --
> KT133 MB, CPU @2400MHz (24x100): SIS755 MB CPU @2330MHz (10x233)
> Need good help? Provide all system info with question.
> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Why don't you install another CPU fan if you worry about overburning?
I installed another fan. no problem or worry about temp.