can the 3000+ venice core OC to 3700?

any one had this expierience or read articles on it?

news_reader wrote:

" any one had this expierience or read articles on it? "

3.7GHz or the equivalent of a 3700+? You won't get 3.7GHz (9 x 412)
unless you've got a liquid nitrogen setup and one of the best 3000+
chips to ever come off the production line. It might not even be
possible to do it then.

As for overclocking to the equivalent of a 3700+, let's look at the specs:

3000+ 1.8GHz 512KB 9x Venice
3700+ 2.2GHz 1MB 11x San Diego

To get 2.2GHz from a 3000+ you would need to do 9 x 245 (= 2205MHz).
That should be quite easy considering some of the overclocks I've seen
from the 3000+.

There's no getting away from the L2 cache difference though.
Overclocked synchronously with the RAM, a 3000+ @ 2.2GHz would beat a
stock 3700+ in some benchmarks due to the newly increased memory
bandwidth, but would be slower in other benchmarks because of the
smaller L2 cache. No matter what you do to a 3000+, you are never going
to make it *become* a 3700+.

However, it's possible to overclock the 3000+ to a level where the L2
cache difference

If you overclock synchronously then you'll need RAM that can handle it.
If your RAM can't synchronously hold up to the FSB of the CPU and
motherboard, then you'll need a BIOS with a good selection of CPU/RAM
dividers to get the best from an asynchronous overclock.

If you have common pc3200 just set it as pc2700 and it will come back up to
pc3200 at about the 2.2 g you want on the cpu.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

was looking at the ASRock 939 with ULI chipset, and ddr 466 ram (which I
currently own) read some reviews on the 3000+ but was debating this or the
3500+, cost on the 3000+ is better, but maybe there is one between the 3000+
and 3500+, that will fit the bill, Im used to running an intel 2.8
northwoods.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> If you have common pc3200 just set it as pc2700 and it will come back up
> to pc3200 at about the 2.2 g you want on the cpu.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> spam@uce.gov
> Thanks, robots.
>
> Bring the Troops Home:
> http://bringthemhomenow.org
>
> Fight Spam:
> http://bluesecurity.com

If your mobo/ram can run at 250+ FSB then the CPU should be able to do it. A
few tweaks to cpu and DIMM voltage and maybe ram timings should do it.
I was able to get my S754 2800+(1800) to run at 2.2ghz. My ram won't run any
faster reliably otherwise I think I could get more out of it..
CPU and DIMM voltages are raised sllightly. CPU temp is in the low 50's with
stock retail heatsink/fan

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> news_reader wrote:
>
> " any one had this expierience or read articles on it? "
>

> 3.7GHz or the equivalent of a 3700+? You won't get 3.7GHz (9 x 412)
> unless you've got a liquid nitrogen setup and one of the best 3000+
> chips to ever come off the production line. It might not even be
> possible to do it then.
>
> As for overclocking to the equivalent of a 3700+, let's look at the specs:
>
> 3000+ 1.8GHz 512KB 9x Venice
> 3700+ 2.2GHz 1MB 11x San Diego
>
> To get 2.2GHz from a 3000+ you would need to do 9 x 245 (= 2205MHz).
> That should be quite easy considering some of the overclocks I've seen
> from the 3000+.
>
> There's no getting away from the L2 cache difference though.
> Overclocked synchronously with the RAM, a 3000+ @ 2.2GHz would beat a
> stock 3700+ in some benchmarks due to the newly increased memory
> bandwidth, but would be slower in other benchmarks because of the
> smaller L2 cache. No matter what you do to a 3000+, you are never going
> to make it *become* a 3700+.
>
> However, it's possible to overclock the 3000+ to a level where the L2
> cache difference
>
> If you overclock synchronously then you'll need RAM that can handle it.
> If your RAM can't synchronously hold up to the FSB of the CPU and
> motherboard, then you'll need a BIOS with a good selection of CPU/RAM
> dividers to get the best from an asynchronous overclock.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Well i know I gotta different Core (winchester) but i was able to push mine from 1.8ghz to 2.1ghz-2.2 before i ran into problems on air with my 110mm CU zalman

Marauder

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I currently have amd 64 3000+ 90nm 939pin cpu, msi k8neo2 platinum (Nforce2 ultra i believe) mobo, Kingston pc 400 ram with a Zalman 7700 heatsink and fan that keeps the CPU down to 30c. I recently tried to do someone overclocking with no success.

I first tried in the BIOS, but it doesnt allow me to access things like RAM voltage, etc.

I then tried a dynamic over clocking program provided by MSI, believe it was called Core Center. I was only able to get the CPU from 1.83ghz to around 1.95ghz before the system because unstable and rebooted itself.

Any ideas? I know the ram is fast enough to handle the overclocking and from I have read in this thread the CPU should be able to handle it too. Could it be the mobo that is bottlenecking me?