peer to peer wireless networking question?

hi there,

i tried connecting 2 laptops using peer to peer wireles, they both have b/g
cards in them but always connect at 11mbs?

is there some kinda restriction on this or am i doing something wrong here?

thanks,
Paul

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

Hi,

Just a quick thought: Have you checked the wireless settings on both
computers? The speed limit having been set to 11 Mbps on one laptop is
enough to cause your problem.

Good Luck,
Engin

"Milsnips" <milsnips@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi there,
>
> i tried connecting 2 laptops using peer to peer wireles, they both have
> b/g cards in them but always connect at 11mbs?
>
> is there some kinda restriction on this or am i doing something wrong
> here?
>
> thanks,
> Paul

how do i check where the speed is limited?

thanks,
Paul

"oldguy" <engin.tarhan@kopiteknik.com.tr> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick thought: Have you checked the wireless settings on both
> computers? The speed limit having been set to 11 Mbps on one laptop is
> enough to cause your problem.
>
> Good Luck,
> Engin
>

> "Milsnips" <milsnips@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> hi there,
>>
>> i tried connecting 2 laptops using peer to peer wireles, they both have
>> b/g cards in them but always connect at 11mbs?
>>
>> is there some kinda restriction on this or am i doing something wrong
>> here?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Paul

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

Hi Paul,

Roughly speaking, you should check it through start>control panel>Network
Connections>(icon for your wireless connection)>Properties>Configure, then
find the entry showing the speed or b/g selection.

This is for WinXP, it may be slightly different for other versions.

> how do i check where the speed is limited?
>
> thanks,
> Paul
>
> "oldguy" <engin.tarhan@kopiteknik.com.tr> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just a quick thought: Have you checked the wireless settings on both
>> computers? The speed limit having been set to 11 Mbps on one laptop is
>> enough to cause your problem.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> Engin
>>

>> "Milsnips" <milsnips@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> hi there,
>>>
>>> i tried connecting 2 laptops using peer to peer wireles, they both have
>>> b/g cards in them but always connect at 11mbs?
>>>
>>> is there some kinda restriction on this or am i doing something wrong
>>> here?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Paul

timmo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2005

I actually have the same issue and am almost convinced that for an
ad-hoc(peer to peer) network there is some limitation that prevents speeds
greater than 11MBps. I have checked the config on the drivers of both
computers and they are set to 802.11g preferred. I have gone through every
other option on the network config and have had no luck with changing this.
Can anyone else shed any light on this?