Ernest

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003

I'm trying to use my old XP1800+ for my PVR but I found it's kinda 'too
hot' averaging around 67-72C to be kept running 24/7. Configuration as
follows:

XP1800+ Socket A with 512MB
A7S8X-MX
Antec ARIA case
Volcano 7+ heatsink with Volcano 8 fan (slim)
ArticSilver 5

So basically the case is very small and I've done all I can to get the
cooling sufficient. I don't feel like adding more case fan or faster
CPU fan can do much as I've experiment with them and doesn't do much.

I have these questions:

1. What is a 'good' temperature for XP1800+ to run 24/7
2. What is the consequence of 'too hot'? Reset? Shutdown? Fire??
3. I heard that Sempron is 'cool' but on the spec. only the S754 has a
cooler spec. (90nm) and the S462 are still 130nm... I afraid that they
may be still too hot.
4. I tried 'underclock' the FSB to 100 but it just hangs.
5. Any other way to keep the CPU cool?

Ernest

You need a case fan in the back of your computer(blowing out) for at least
the minimum cooling and a case fan should also be at the front(blowing in).
there should already be a space reserved for these fans. All you have to do
is spend $20.00 per fan, spend 10 mins screwing it into place and connecting
the power(simple stuff) and your set. You could also try putting a
better/faster fan on the back blowing out.

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:43:07 -0700, ernest wrote:

> I'm trying to use my old XP1800+ for my PVR but I found it's kinda 'too
> hot' averaging around 67-72C to be kept running 24/7. Configuration as
> follows:
>
> XP1800+ Socket A with 512MB
> A7S8X-MX
> Antec ARIA case
> Volcano 7+ heatsink with Volcano 8 fan (slim)
> ArticSilver 5
>
> So basically the case is very small and I've done all I can to get the
> cooling sufficient. I don't feel like adding more case fan or faster
> CPU fan can do much as I've experiment with them and doesn't do much.
>
> I have these questions:
>
> 1. What is a 'good' temperature for XP1800+ to run 24/7

That depends on case temp. which depends on room temp. In general, case
temp should be within 6C of room temp. and cpu temp under load should be
within 25C of case temp. that woulkd typically be, 25C, 30C, 55C.

> 2. What is the consequence of 'too hot'? Reset? Shutdown? Fire??

All of the above, plus cpu failure. If case temps get too high you may
experience HD and other component failures like video card etc.

> 3. I heard that Sempron is 'cool' but on the spec. only the S754 has a
> cooler spec. (90nm) and the S462 are still 130nm... I afraid that they
> may be still too hot.

Well, even socket A Sempron will be a lot cooler than your 1800+ asssuming
it's a palomino core 1800+. the socket A Semprons are Tbred B cores, run
on less voltage and probably average 10C cooler. The K8 Semprons are real
cool running. Even the Athlon 64's are a lot cooler than the coolest
socket A cpu.

> 4. I tried 'underclock' the FSB to 100 but it just hangs. 5. Any other
> way to keep the CPU cool?

Lowering the speed won't do a lot to cool it unless you lower voltage too.
But with an 1800+ you're on the borderline for CPU speed for a PVR.
Personally, I'd find out why it's running so hot and fix it. That V7+
cooler needs a lot of airflow to work properly. It could be you don't
have enough fan on it. I also suspect your case cooling isn't what it
should be. Personnally for a PVR, I'd have a TR2-M3 cooler on it and have
the case opened up good to outside air. I wouldn't use AS5, simply because
it just mostly hype. I'm actually using automotive wheel bearing grease on
this Athlon 64 right now. And it was over 30 years old.:)
Current temps;

CPU Temp: +31°C
M/B Temp: +27°C

Temps for a palomino should be between 50celcius and 65celcius,idle or full
load.
When higher you need better airflow,what's the temp when you remove the
sidepanel?
The idea is to get lower temps with case closed,so use fans for this.
Btw they can run up to 75celcius without real problems but better safe and
cooler.
You can remove the heatsink,clean off the die from cpu and heatsink
also,then apply thermal paste on the die in a thin layer,then mount the
heatsink (make sure you don't reverse the heatsink,it will rest on the edge
of the cpu socket then making a bad contact,resulting in high temps)

"Flow" <Flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Temps for a palomino should be between 50celcius and 65celcius,idle or
> full
> load.

That seems quite high. My XP 2000+ Palomino never got above about 40C, even
under Prime95. I did have a very good heatsink (Thermalready SLK-800) and
lots of case airflow (1-120, 4-80's), so maybe that made a difference.
Hell, my BIOS shutdown temp was only 60C.

Bill G

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
get some good case fans, like the thermaltake (120mm)one for $12 on newegg. they are a bit loud but it blows 78cmf of airs!!!

A mod to your case might help. If the case fan slots has only mesh for air to get in, cut out the mesh to leave just room for putting the 120mm fans(drill some holes if you have too, they are quieter and more efficient than smaller fans). This way you have two huge holes on your case and the fans work at 100% efficiency. Don't worry about dust cuz with this much air moving power the dust will not stay there.