Help with Memory issues

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

Folks,

I seem to have developed a problem with the system's memory and was hoping
someone may be able to offer some advice.

The system was:
Abit AT7-Max-2
Athlon XP2000
1Gb of Ram consisting of 1x 256Mb Kingtson ValueRam (266), 1x256Mb Aria
Generic DDR266 & 1x 512Mb Crucial DDR400 (Double Sided)
XP Pro Fully patched

This little setup all worked very nicely with the BIOS reporting that it had
stepped down the speed to the lowest common denominator of 266.

I have replaced the XP2000 with and XP2500 and the 2x 256Mb sticks have been
replaced with a single 512Mb DDR333 (Single Sided) from Aria. This is where
the problem starts.

When I try to run the system with the two 512Mb sticks the system stops at
the ESCD update stage.... just hangs.

If I take out the Aria 512 and leave in the Crucial 512... same problem

If I take out the Crucial 512 and leave in the Aria 512 It works!

If I put in the Crucial 512 and the Aria 256, it hangs

If I put in the Aria 512 and the Aria 256... it hangs!

I now take the Crucial 512 and stick it in another machine and it works
perfectly. huh?

Right now I'm able to run the system with just the new Aria 512 stick....
Very frustrating!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers!

--
Rez Manzoori

Rez Manzoori left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Right now I'm able to run the system with just the new Aria 512 stick....
> Very frustrating!
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received!

Maybe your memory timings are being recognised incorrectly? Can you set
them manually in your BIOS to their slowest settings and see if it boots
then?
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

Hi Stoneskin,

I'll be honest I have been randomly tinkering with the settings in the vain
hope that something will work. Here are the settings as they work with the
ARIA 512Mb stick:-

DRAM timing selectable - By Spd
Cas Latency Time - 2.5 - (1.5, 2, 3)
Bank Interleave - Disabled (2 bank, 4Bank)
Precharge to active (Trp) - 3T (2T)
Active to Precharge (Tras) - 7T (6T)
Active to Cmd (trcd) - 3T (2T)
DRAM Burst Length - 4 (8)
DRAM Queue Depth - 4 Level (2 Level, 3 Level)
DQS Drive strength - Auto (Low, Medium, High)
DDR DQS Inout Delay - Auto (Manual)
DDR DQS Output Delay - Auto (Manual)
MD Drive Strength - Auto (Manual)
DIMM 1-4 CMD drive control - Auto (Manual)
DRAM Access - 3T (2T)
Enhance DRAM performance - Disabled (enabled)
DRAM command rate - 2T Command (1T Command)
Write recovery Time - 3T (2T)
DRAM tWTR - 3T (1T)
DCLK Output Delay - 0ps

Sadly I have no idea what any of these really mean!

--
Rez Manzoori

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Rez Manzoori left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
> > Right now I'm able to run the system with just the new Aria 512
stick....
> > Very frustrating!
> >
> > Any suggestions gratefully received!
>
> Maybe your memory timings are being recognised incorrectly? Can you set
> them manually in your BIOS to their slowest settings and see if it boots
> then?
> --
> Stoneskin
>
> [Insert sig text here]

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

You are always better off NOT mixing brands of RAM in system's if possible,
as you have found out.

--
DaveW

"Rez Manzoori" <Rez.Manzoori@Mykeks.ntlworld.Com> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> I seem to have developed a problem with the system's memory and was hoping
> someone may be able to offer some advice.
>
> The system was:
> Abit AT7-Max-2
> Athlon XP2000
> 1Gb of Ram consisting of 1x 256Mb Kingtson ValueRam (266), 1x256Mb Aria
> Generic DDR266 & 1x 512Mb Crucial DDR400 (Double Sided)
> XP Pro Fully patched
>
> This little setup all worked very nicely with the BIOS reporting that it
had
> stepped down the speed to the lowest common denominator of 266.
>
> I have replaced the XP2000 with and XP2500 and the 2x 256Mb sticks have
been
> replaced with a single 512Mb DDR333 (Single Sided) from Aria. This is
where
> the problem starts.
>
> When I try to run the system with the two 512Mb sticks the system stops at
> the ESCD update stage.... just hangs.
>
> If I take out the Aria 512 and leave in the Crucial 512... same problem
>
> If I take out the Crucial 512 and leave in the Aria 512 It works!
>
> If I put in the Crucial 512 and the Aria 256, it hangs
>
> If I put in the Aria 512 and the Aria 256... it hangs!
>
> I now take the Crucial 512 and stick it in another machine and it works
> perfectly. huh?
>
> Right now I'm able to run the system with just the new Aria 512 stick....
> Very frustrating!
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received!
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Rez Manzoori

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

Rez Manzoori left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Hi Stoneskin,
>
> I'll be honest I have been randomly tinkering with the settings in the vain
> hope that something will work. Here are the settings as they work with the
> ARIA 512Mb stick:-
>
> DRAM timing selectable - By Spd
> Cas Latency Time - 2.5 - (1.5, 2, 3)
> Bank Interleave - Disabled (2 bank, 4Bank)
> Precharge to active (Trp) - 3T (2T)
> Active to Precharge (Tras) - 7T (6T)
> Active to Cmd (trcd) - 3T (2T)
> DRAM Burst Length - 4 (8)
> DRAM Queue Depth - 4 Level (2 Level, 3 Level)
> DQS Drive strength - Auto (Low, Medium, High)
> DDR DQS Inout Delay - Auto (Manual)
> DDR DQS Output Delay - Auto (Manual)
> MD Drive Strength - Auto (Manual)
> DIMM 1-4 CMD drive control - Auto (Manual)
> DRAM Access - 3T (2T)
> Enhance DRAM performance - Disabled (enabled)
> DRAM command rate - 2T Command (1T Command)
> Write recovery Time - 3T (2T)
> DRAM tWTR - 3T (1T)
> DCLK Output Delay - 0ps
>
> Sadly I have no idea what any of these really mean!

I'm not 100% sure myself but try manually changing the memory to it's
slowest, i.e. most compatible settings. CAS up to 3.0 for a start.
I've no idea if this will help the compatibility between the modules but
that's where I'd start anyway. Sorry I couldn't be much help :0/
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]