P4 2.8 800fsb on an MSI 533 mobo

as a newbie I would like to know if this P4 processor will run on my MSI
845pe max2 6704 mobo? The MSI site says not supported but is there a way to
do this? Or is it a nono? No big deal as I can upgrade the mobo but dont
want to blow anything up by trying the combination.

All any help appreciated!

as a newbie I would like to know if this P4 processor will run on my MSI
845pe max2 6704 mobo? The MSI site says not supported but is there a way to
do this? Or is it a nono? No big deal as I can upgrade the mobo but dont
want to blow anything up by trying the combination.

All any help appreciated!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I tried a 800FSB cpu on my Gigabyte 533 board and it did not work.
Well it worked but did not run at correct speed even if i set FSB to 200.
DOUG

thanks for that. Just didnt want to kill either the mobo or processor by
trying it just to see.. I realise it wouldnt run 2.8 whatever.....

Geoff

"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
> as a newbie I would like to know if this P4 processor will run on my MSI
> 845pe max2 6704 mobo? The MSI site says not supported but is there a way
> do this? Or is it a nono? No big deal as I can upgrade the mobo but dont
> want to blow anything up by trying the combination.
>
> All any help appreciated!
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> I tried a 800FSB cpu on my Gigabyte 533 board and it did not work.
> Well it worked but did not run at correct speed even if i set FSB to
200.
> DOUG

"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
> as a newbie I would like to know if this P4 processor will run on my MSI
> 845pe max2 6704 mobo? The MSI site says not supported but is there a way
> do this? Or is it a nono? No big deal as I can upgrade the mobo but dont
> want to blow anything up by trying the combination.
>
> All any help appreciated!
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> I tried a 800FSB cpu on my Gigabyte 533 board and it did not work.
> Well it worked but did not run at correct speed even if i set FSB to
200.
> DOUG

If I' m not wrong, you should have set the FSB to 133MHz with a 533 (4 x
133) mobo ! The cpu is then underclocked, but must work.

"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
> as a newbie I would like to know if this P4 processor will run on my MSI
> 845pe max2 6704 mobo? The MSI site says not supported but is there a way
> do this? Or is it a nono? No big deal as I can upgrade the mobo but dont
> want to blow anything up by trying the combination.
>
> All any help appreciated!
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> I tried a 800FSB cpu on my Gigabyte 533 board and it did not work.
> Well it worked but did not run at correct speed even if i set FSB to
200.
> DOUG

If I' m not wrong, you should have set the FSB to 133MHz with a 533 (4 x
133) mobo ! The cpu is then underclocked, but must work.

<< <<>>

Exactly

Thanks for the comments. It will work but will be underclocked, which is a
waste. I have decided to sell the MSI Mobo and
buy an 800fsb capable one instead...

Beginners fun this ...

> "Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
> > as a newbie I would like to know if this P4 processor will run on my MSI
> > 845pe max2 6704 mobo? The MSI site says not supported but is there a way
> > do this? Or is it a nono? No big deal as I can upgrade the mobo but dont
> > want to blow anything up by trying the combination.
> >
> > All any help appreciated!
> >
> > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> >
> > I tried a 800FSB cpu on my Gigabyte 533 board and it did not work.
> > Well it worked but did not run at correct speed even if i set FSB to
> 200.
> > DOUG
>
> If I' m not wrong, you should have set the FSB to 133MHz with a 533 (4 x
> 133) mobo ! The cpu is then underclocked, but must work.
>

> << <<>>
> >>

> Exactly

Thanks for the comments. It will work but will be underclocked, which is a
waste. I have decided to sell the MSI Mobo and
buy an 800fsb capable one instead...

Beginners fun this ...

Geoff

<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just built a sytem with this gigabyte MB and it is an execellant board if
you dont need Raid. Dual bios,CIA overclocking,dual DDR.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-216&depa=1

It will have to be a cheap and cheerful board - I found an Intel D875PBZ
which has all I need ... and seems to perform reasonably well

Thanks for your comments

> Thanks for the comments. It will work but will be underclocked, which is
> waste. I have decided to sell the MSI Mobo and
> buy an 800fsb capable one instead...
>
> Beginners fun this ...
>
> Geoff
>

> <<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> I just built a sytem with this gigabyte MB and it is an execellant board
if
> you dont need Raid. Dual bios,CIA overclocking,dual DDR.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-216&depa=1

Unfortunately you will never be able to overclock with that, or any, Intel
motherboard.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"GBH" <geoff.hamilton1@NOSPAM.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> It will have to be a cheap and cheerful board - I found an Intel D875PBZ
> which has all I need ... and seems to perform reasonably well
>
> Thanks for your comments
>
> Geoff

Phil

with me that would be a plus .... I am aware of the restrictions with Intel
but I dont know enough to even think about overclocking (so its a bit odd me
even being in this group) but I am here because of all the expertise around!

Geoff