NTFS and Benchmarks?

I'm going to NTFS when I clean install XP in my new box. Will it adversely
affect benchmarks, perceived speed?
--
Tally Ho!
Ed,

Hi Ed,

In theory, Fat32 is supposed to be a bit faster then NTFS. Also, as quoted
from the following link..."The NTFS file system is generally not compatible
with other operating systems installed on the same computer, nor is it
available when you've booted a computer from a floppy disk..."
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/russel/october01.asp

I haven't done any bench to compare the two, but the benefit of not having
the 4GB limit imposed by Windows Fat32 is of more importance to me, when it
comes to video capture/editing. (Using my ATI AIW 9600Pro, AMD 2500 Mobile
Barton at 3200+) to capture Satellite TV programming ala TiVo)

Sid
(From the old MSN Hardware/Video/Matrox/Banshee newsgroup)

"Ed Forsythe" <EdForsythe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to NTFS when I clean install XP in my new box. Will it
> adversely
> affect benchmarks, perceived speed?
> --
> Tally Ho!
> Ed,
> Maryland, USA

Thanks Sidg and Atwifa - I'll finally abandon FAT32 and move on the NTFS :)
I guess I'll finally leave the last vestiges of good ol' DOS <sniff> RIP -
--
Tally Ho!
Ed,
"Ed Forsythe" <EdForsythe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to NTFS when I clean install XP in my new box. Will it
adversely
> affect benchmarks, perceived speed?
> --
> Tally Ho!
> Ed,
> Maryland, USA

Thanks )-0-( <s>.
That's an excellent reference -
--
Tally Ho!
Ed,
")-()-(" <email@address.com> wrote in message

> Ed Forsythe wrote:
>
> > Thanks Sidg and Atwifa - I'll finally abandon FAT32 and move on the NTFS
:)
> > I guess I'll finally leave the last vestiges of good ol' DOS <sniff>
RIP -
> > --
> > Tally Ho!
> > Ed,
> > Maryland, USA
> >

> FWIW
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/ntfs-preinstall.mspx

NTFS is much faster in today's average home computer environments - mainly
because it is far more adept at dealing with large disk, partition or/and
file sizes.

NTFS is also much more secure.

for the above and quite a few other reasons, FAT has pretty much come to the
end of its useful life.

Ed Forsythe wrote:
> I'm going to NTFS when I clean install XP in my new box. Will it
> adversely affect benchmarks, perceived speed?

I've benchmarked FAT16 and FAT32 against NTFS many times. No difference.
Zero, zip, nil, nada. The only compelling reason to use the FAT file system
is if you plan to multi-boot. If not, NTFS is the way to go.

Unless you have small volumes with many small files, NTFS is better in every
way than FAT.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Ed Forsythe" <EdForsythe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to NTFS when I clean install XP in my new box. Will it
adversely
> affect benchmarks, perceived speed?
> --
> Tally Ho!
> Ed,
> Maryland, USA

Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:11:00 -0400, na alt.comp.hardware.overclocking, Ed
Forsythe napisa³(a):

> I'm going to NTFS when I clean install XP in my new box. Will it adversely
> affect benchmarks, perceived speed?

I don't know much about benchmarks performance but I'm sure my pc with NTFS
loads way faster than it did with Fat32. And that's quite good news, right?

Yep PR - I'm back on with a new NTFS C-drive and all is well. Now I'm
going to convert my D-Drive (contains games and all my backups) to NTFS).
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

"power_ranger" <power_ranger@op.pl> wrote in message
> Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:11:00 -0400, na alt.comp.hardware.overclocking, Ed
> Forsythe napisa³(a):
>
> > I'm going to NTFS when I clean install XP in my new box. Will it
adversely
> > affect benchmarks, perceived speed?
>
> I don't know much about benchmarks performance but I'm sure my pc with
NTFS
> loads way faster than it did with Fat32. And that's quite good news,
right?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 06:37:48 -0400, "Ed Forsythe"
<EdForsythe@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yep PR - I'm back on with a new NTFS C-drive and all is well. Now I'm
>going to convert my D-Drive (contains games and all my backups) to NTFS).

There is a slight performance loss using NTFS .. but u wont notice it.
In return, much more stable