P4 800 FSB: 3Ghz >3,6 Ghz

Using only the multiplication factor, my P4 system 3.0 Ghz - 800 Mhz
FSB now runs at 3.6 Ghz on an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe - EAY - 865PE.
The voltage was upped to 1.55 V to compensate mild power drainage.
The RAM (400 Mhz) was downed to compensate the multiplication factor
and thus clocks at 400 Mhz again...
There's & Coolmaster Gear ventilator on the processor,.. a ventilator
on the chipset and a ventilator pulling fresh air in from the
front,... processor temperature stays below 50 celcius and chipset
temp below 45 degrees during XP stability test.

Any comments?

"nondisputandum.com" wrote
> Using only the multiplication factor, my P4 system 3.0 Ghz - 800 Mhz
> FSB now runs at 3.6 Ghz on an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe

Hi,
what do you mean by "the multiplication factor"

Nice overclock :)
--
Wayne ][
<Intel® Pentium® 4 - Online! :p>

Jim

> Using only the multiplication factor, my P4 system 3.0 Ghz - 800 Mhz
> FSB now runs at 3.6 Ghz on an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe - EAY - 865PE.

I assume by "multiplication factor", you mean you altered only the CPU
multipler?! But this can't be, since all P4 800's are multipler locked!
The only way to OC to 3.6GHz is to increase the FSB. So, like the others,
I'm confused.

> The RAM (400 Mhz) was downed to compensate the multiplication factor
> and thus clocks at 400 Mhz again...

Huh? There's no relatioship between the CPU multipler and memory. The CPU
FSB * the multipler determine the CPU "speed". In your case, that P4 3.0GHz
is 200MHz FSB * 15 (stock). To run it 3.6GHz (OC), you'd need to change the
FSB to 240MHz (240 * 15 = 3600 = 3.6GHz), and perhaps more vCore (1.55v?).
If the memory is PC3200 (400MHz DDR), and is not overclockable (not likely
to 240MHz!), then you should be running w/ a 5:4 CPU/DRAM ratio (240 / 5 * 4
= 192MHz), or in Asus terms, DIMM Freq = Auto), which is perhaps what you
mean by "downed to compensate..."?! Yes, your memory would be underclocked
under this situation.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what comments you are seeking.

HTH

Jim

"nondisputandum.com" <webmaster@ R E M O V E nondisputandum.com> wrote in
message news:a1ul70hoe3ljceob2q3a873adsk6ftv6c8@4ax.com...
> Using only the multiplication factor, my P4 system 3.0 Ghz - 800 Mhz
> FSB now runs at 3.6 Ghz on an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe - EAY - 865PE.
> The voltage was upped to 1.55 V to compensate mild power drainage.
> The RAM (400 Mhz) was downed to compensate the multiplication factor
> and thus clocks at 400 Mhz again...
> There's & Coolmaster Gear ventilator on the processor,.. a ventilator
> on the chipset and a ventilator pulling fresh air in from the
> front,... processor temperature stays below 50 celcius and chipset
> temp below 45 degrees during XP stability test.
>
> Any comments?

> Any comments?

yeah. what do you mean by the 'multiplication factor'?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:59:55 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
<waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>"nondisputandum.com" wrote
>> Using only the multiplication factor, my P4 system 3.0 Ghz - 800 Mhz
>> FSB now runs at 3.6 Ghz on an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
>
>Hi,
>what do you mean by "the multiplication factor"
>
>Nice overclock :)

I'm not an expert in overclocking,.. but want to find out if my pc
builder did a good job.
Is "multiplication factor" a wrong traduction into english? With that
i suppose it must be "multiplier"

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:37:45 -0700, "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote:

>> Using only the multiplication factor, my P4 system 3.0 Ghz - 800 Mhz
>> FSB now runs at 3.6 Ghz on an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe - EAY - 865PE.
>
>I assume by "multiplication factor", you mean you altered only the CPU
>multipler?! But this can't be, since all P4 800's are multipler locked!
>The only way to OC to 3.6GHz is to increase the FSB. So, like the others,
>I'm confused.
>
>> The RAM (400 Mhz) was downed to compensate the multiplication factor
>> and thus clocks at 400 Mhz again...
>
>Huh? There's no relatioship between the CPU multipler and memory. The CPU
>FSB * the multipler determine the CPU "speed". In your case, that P4 3.0GHz
>is 200MHz FSB * 15 (stock). To run it 3.6GHz (OC), you'd need to change the
>FSB to 240MHz (240 * 15 = 3600 = 3.6GHz), and perhaps more vCore (1.55v?).
>If the memory is PC3200 (400MHz DDR), and is not overclockable (not likely
>to 240MHz!), then you should be running w/ a 5:4 CPU/DRAM ratio (240 / 5 * 4
>= 192MHz), or in Asus terms, DIMM Freq = Auto), which is perhaps what you
>mean by "downed to compensate..."?! Yes, your memory would be underclocked
>under this situation.
>
>Beyond that, I'm not sure what comments you are seeking.
>
>HTH
>
>Jim
>

>"nondisputandum.com" <webmaster@ R E M O V E nondisputandum.com> wrote in
>message news:a1ul70hoe3ljceob2q3a873adsk6ftv6c8@4ax.com...
>> Using only the multiplication factor, my P4 system 3.0 Ghz - 800 Mhz
>> FSB now runs at 3.6 Ghz on an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe - EAY - 865PE.
>> The voltage was upped to 1.55 V to compensate mild power drainage.
>> The RAM (400 Mhz) was downed to compensate the multiplication factor
>> and thus clocks at 400 Mhz again...
>> There's & Coolmaster Gear ventilator on the processor,.. a ventilator
>> on the chipset and a ventilator pulling fresh air in from the
>> front,... processor temperature stays below 50 celcius and chipset
>> temp below 45 degrees during XP stability test.
>>
>> Any comments?

PROCESSOR:
As I said in another response,.. i'm not an expert but want to find
out if my PC builder did a nice job,...

I'll ad some datails below - your opinion is welcome:

Miltipier: 15/1
Northwood P4N Petntium 4C 130 nm 1.6 - 3.4 GHz 1.475-1.575V
Core voltage: 1.550V
Stepping 2 / 9 (9)
L2 cache multiplier 1/1x 3601MHz
CPU core power estimated 95W

MOTHERBOARD:
FSB 4x240MHZ (960 Date rate)

CHIPSET1:
Speed: 2 x 192 MHz (348 MHz date rate)
Multiplier: 4/5x
refrexh rate: 7.8

Motherboard temperature (after several hours working): 28°/100.4F

VOLTAGE:
CPU: 1.57V
Aux volt: 3.20V
+3.3V: 3.31V
+5V: 5.13V
+12V: 9.55V
-12V: -14.91V
-5V: -7.71V

System memory: 5991MB
Physical memory: 2047MB

CPU Arithmic benchmark:
Compared to P4-C 3.2 GHz 512L2:
WHetstone FPU/ISSE2 4095/7095MFLOPS
Dhrystone ALU 9808 MIPS

nondisputandum.com wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:37:45 -0700, "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote:
>

>>>Using only the multiplication factor, my P4 system 3.0 Ghz - 800 Mhz
>>>FSB now runs at 3.6 Ghz on an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe - EAY - 865PE.
>>
>>I assume by "multiplication factor", you mean you altered only the CPU
>>multipler?! But this can't be, since all P4 800's are multipler locked!
>>The only way to OC to 3.6GHz is to increase the FSB. So, like the others,
>>I'm confused.
>>

>>>The RAM (400 Mhz) was downed to compensate the multiplication factor
>>>and thus clocks at 400 Mhz again...
>>
>>Huh? There's no relatioship between the CPU multipler and memory. The CPU
>>FSB * the multipler determine the CPU "speed". In your case, that P4 3.0GHz
>>is 200MHz FSB * 15 (stock). To run it 3.6GHz (OC), you'd need to change the
>>FSB to 240MHz (240 * 15 = 3600 = 3.6GHz), and perhaps more vCore (1.55v?).
>>If the memory is PC3200 (400MHz DDR), and is not overclockable (not likely
>>to 240MHz!), then you should be running w/ a 5:4 CPU/DRAM ratio (240 / 5 * 4
>>= 192MHz), or in Asus terms, DIMM Freq = Auto), which is perhaps what you
>>mean by "downed to compensate..."?! Yes, your memory would be underclocked
>>under this situation.
>>
>>Beyond that, I'm not sure what comments you are seeking.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Jim
>>

>>"nondisputandum.com" <webmaster@ R E M O V E nondisputandum.com> wrote in
>>message news:a1ul70hoe3ljceob2q3a873adsk6ftv6c8@4ax.com...
>>
>>>Using only the multiplication factor, my P4 system 3.0 Ghz - 800 Mhz
>>>FSB now runs at 3.6 Ghz on an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe - EAY - 865PE.
>>>The voltage was upped to 1.55 V to compensate mild power drainage.
>>>The RAM (400 Mhz) was downed to compensate the multiplication factor
>>>and thus clocks at 400 Mhz again...
>>>There's & Coolmaster Gear ventilator on the processor,.. a ventilator
>>>on the chipset and a ventilator pulling fresh air in from the
>>>front,... processor temperature stays below 50 celcius and chipset
>>>temp below 45 degrees during XP stability test.
>>>
>>>Any comments?
>>>

> PROCESSOR:
> As I said in another response,.. i'm not an expert but want to find
> out if my PC builder did a nice job,...
>
> I'll ad some datails below - your opinion is welcome:
>
> Miltipier: 15/1

This is what's confusing them. When you say "Using only the multiplication
factor" it implies to them that the 15/1 (the "multiplier") was changed to
something else; but it wasn't and, as people have noted, can't be changed
on P4s.

> Northwood P4N Petntium 4C 130 nm 1.6 - 3.4 GHz 1.475-1.575V
> Core voltage: 1.550V
> Stepping 2 / 9 (9)
> L2 cache multiplier 1/1x 3601MHz
> CPU core power estimated 95W
>
> MOTHERBOARD:
> FSB 4x240MHZ (960 Date rate)

This is where the overclock was done: increasing the FSB clock from the
standard 200MHz to 240MHz. I.E. Using the non changeable 15x CPU multiplier
shown above, it was originally 15x200 for 3,000 MHz and is now 15x240 for
3,600 MHz.

> CHIPSET1:
> Speed: 2 x 192 MHz (348 MHz date rate)

This is your memory clock from the ratio below. 4/5 of 240=192

Technically this is not being used to 'overclock'. It's being used to keep
the memory at a speed that will work with the CPU overclock and is actually
under clocking the memory by a small amount [((192/200)-1)*100 = -4%].

> Multiplier: 4/5x
> refrexh rate: 7.8
>
> Motherboard temperature (after several hours working): 28°/100.4F
>
> VOLTAGE:
> CPU: 1.57V
> Aux volt: 3.20V
> +3.3V: 3.31V
> +5V: 5.13V
> +12V: 9.55V
> -12V: -14.91V
> -5V: -7.71V
>
> System memory: 5991MB
> Physical memory: 2047MB
>
> CPU Arithmic benchmark:
> Compared to P4-C 3.2 GHz 512L2:
> WHetstone FPU/ISSE2 4095/7095MFLOPS
> Dhrystone ALU 9808 MIPS

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:52:12 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

<cut>

>This is what's confusing them. When you say "Using only the multiplication
>factor" it implies to them that the 15/1 (the "multiplier") was changed to
>something else; but it wasn't and, as people have noted, can't be changed
>on P4s.
>
>> Northwood P4N Petntium 4C 130 nm 1.6 - 3.4 GHz 1.475-1.575V
>> Core voltage: 1.550V
>> Stepping 2 / 9 (9)
>> L2 cache multiplier 1/1x 3601MHz
>> CPU core power estimated 95W
>>
>> MOTHERBOARD:
>> FSB 4x240MHZ (960 Date rate)
>

>This is where the overclock was done: increasing the FSB clock from the
>standard 200MHz to 240MHz. I.E. Using the non changeable 15x CPU multiplier
>shown above, it was originally 15x200 for 3,000 MHz and is now 15x240 for
>3,600 MHz.
>

>> CHIPSET1:
>> Speed: 2 x 192 MHz (348 MHz date rate)
>
>This is your memory clock from the ratio below. 4/5 of 240=192
>
>Technically this is not being used to 'overclock'. It's being used to keep
>the memory at a speed that will work with the CPU overclock and is actually
>under clocking the memory by a small amount [((192/200)-1)*100 = -4%].

What is your personal advice?

>> Multiplier: 4/5x
>> refrexh rate: 7.8
>>
>> Motherboard temperature (after several hours working): 28°/100.4F
>>
>> VOLTAGE:
>> CPU: 1.57V
>> Aux volt: 3.20V
>> +3.3V: 3.31V
>> +5V: 5.13V
>> +12V: 9.55V
>> -12V: -14.91V
>> -5V: -7.71V
>>
>> System memory: 5991MB
>> Physical memory: 2047MB
>>
>> CPU Arithmic benchmark:
>> Compared to P4-C 3.2 GHz 512L2:
>> WHetstone FPU/ISSE2 4095/7095MFLOPS
>> Dhrystone ALU 9808 MIPS

Thank you for your expertise. You've helped me understanding a bit
more how the overclocking was done. anyway.. the system runs smooth a
teperature still is below 40° celsius. Seems a good job done...

nondisputandum.com wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:52:12 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>
> <cut>
>
>>This is what's confusing them. When you say "Using only the multiplication
>>factor" it implies to them that the 15/1 (the "multiplier") was changed to
>>something else; but it wasn't and, as people have noted, can't be changed
>>on P4s.
>>

>>>Northwood P4N Petntium 4C 130 nm 1.6 - 3.4 GHz 1.475-1.575V
>>>Core voltage: 1.550V
>>>Stepping 2 / 9 (9)
>>>L2 cache multiplier 1/1x 3601MHz
>>>CPU core power estimated 95W
>>>
>>>MOTHERBOARD:
>>>FSB 4x240MHZ (960 Date rate)
>>

>>This is where the overclock was done: increasing the FSB clock from the
>>standard 200MHz to 240MHz. I.E. Using the non changeable 15x CPU multiplier
>>shown above, it was originally 15x200 for 3,000 MHz and is now 15x240 for
>>3,600 MHz.
>>

>>>CHIPSET1:
>>>Speed: 2 x 192 MHz (348 MHz date rate)
>>
>>This is your memory clock from the ratio below. 4/5 of 240=192
>>
>>Technically this is not being used to 'overclock'. It's being used to keep
>>the memory at a speed that will work with the CPU overclock and is actually
>>under clocking the memory by a small amount [((192/200)-1)*100 = -4%].
>

> What is your personal advice?

Well, if the memory could handle 480MHz that would be better but odds are
it can't, which is why the 4/5 ratio is there.

>>>Multiplier: 4/5x
>>>refrexh rate: 7.8
>>>
>>>Motherboard temperature (after several hours working): 28°/100.4F
>>>
>>>VOLTAGE:
>>>CPU: 1.57V
>>>Aux volt: 3.20V
>>>+3.3V: 3.31V
>>>+5V: 5.13V
>>>+12V: 9.55V
>>>-12V: -14.91V
>>>-5V: -7.71V
>>>
>>>System memory: 5991MB
>>>Physical memory: 2047MB
>>>
>>>CPU Arithmic benchmark:
>>>Compared to P4-C 3.2 GHz 512L2:
>>> WHetstone FPU/ISSE2 4095/7095MFLOPS
>>> Dhrystone ALU 9808 MIPS
>>>

> Thank you for your expertise. You've helped me understanding a bit
> more how the overclocking was done. anyway.. the system runs smooth a
> teperature still is below 40° celsius. Seems a good job done...

Yes, it's consistent with the components.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:52:16 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

<cut>

Thank you

I have now the same setup mobo+cpu.
Running at 3780 on a daily basis for stability purposes, but at 3900
for benches and testing...
Temps goes from 27 idle to 36 at 100% for 24/7 @3780 ( on WC ).

I have the same problem that you do with memories.
My GEIL ULTRA PC3500 can't do 1:1 at 260, but allows me to run at 5:4
with 2-2-2-5 timmings.
Trying to find the best place to get some GEIL GOLD PC4000 for 1:1.
Nice rig you got there...

Stormgiant
P43.0@3780 with 1GB GEIL PC3500 2-2-2-5

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:22:59 GMT, nondisputandum.com <webmaster@ R E M