Need advice (take 2): Prescott 2.8 at 3.34

Hi,

I recently jump into the OC hobby with a new computer based on an ASUS
P4P800-865PE and a Prescott (my mistake...) 2.8E 800FSB. I would like some
advice on how to get more performance if possible or if I'm already topped
out.

Please keep in mind that I'm new at this...

System:

BIOS settings (Manual): FSB at 240, Vcore at 1.4875, Memory (DDR400) at 400,
Mem voltage at 2.65, AGP voltage at 1.7.

ATI Radeon 9800XT 256 at 450/385.

Volcano 7+ polished, tower case, two fans on back pulling in, one fan over
Volcano shouting at Volcano, one fan in front pulling out. No fan on
chipset.

Temperature at idle is 44C and load is 58C. Motherboard temp is between 33
and 37 C.

System is rock stable.

So, is this good or may I get more out of it ?

Yves Boivin
yboivin@yves-boivin.com

Some added information on memory:

I don't have the option of the ratio, only the speed at wich memory is
running i.e. 400,320 or 266. I just set it to 400. CPU-Z is reporting that
it run at 1:1...

On the 3dMark03 front: here is my last run :
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2374651

CPU-Z report below

CPU-Z Report

CPU-Z version 1.21.

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 2 (1 Physical)

CPU#1 APIC ID = 0
CPU Name Intel Pentium 4
Code Name Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Family / Model / Stepping F 3 3
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Package mPGA-478
Technology 0.09 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
CPU Clock Speed 3361.0 MHz
Clock multiplier x 14.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 240.1 MHz
Bus Speed 960.3 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 3361.0 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

CPU#2 APIC ID = 1
CPU Name Intel Pentium 4 (logical unit)

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Motherboard model P4P800, Rev 1.xx
BIOS vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS revision 080009
BIOS release date 02/23/2004
Chipset Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. A2
Sensor chip Winbond W83627THF
FSB Select 800 MHz
Performance Mode disabled

AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 256 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 240.1 MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 3.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge 4 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
Module 1 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 1
(Build 2600)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:46:12 -0400, "Yves Boivin"
<yboivin@yves-boivin.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I recently jump into the OC hobby with a new computer based on an ASUS
>P4P800-865PE and a Prescott (my mistake...) 2.8E 800FSB. I would like some
>advice on how to get more performance if possible or if I'm already topped
>out.

I'm not an expert,... read a bit earlier in my last tread and some
helpfull info by another poster...
But I just got me a Pentium4 with the same Asus motherboard... running
on a 3 GHz proc now overclocked to 3.6.
What myclone pc builder said is that originally he wanted to use the
2.8 Gig processor to overclock to 3.4 gig. As the 2.8 was not
available at the time,... he got the 3.0 GHz to do the same thing...

It seems that you used the same technique to do so (240 FSB - as I
understood in the answer that I got from another reader)

I'm watching your tread to see if someone comes up with another
advice...

> [...]
> Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. A2
> Sensor chip Winbond W83627THF
> FSB Select 800 MHz
> Performance Mode disabled
>
> AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
> AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
> AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
> AGP Aperture Size 256 MBytes
>

> Memory
> DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
> DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
> DRAM Frequency 240.1 MHz
> FSB:DRAM 1:1
> CAS# Latency 3.0 clocks
> RAS# to CAS# 4 clocks
> RAS# Precharge 4 clocks
> Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks
> # of memory modules 2
> Module 0 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
> Module 1 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
>

> Software
> Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 1

Yves:

I think your airflow is going the wrong way. You also did not mention what
type of case you have. I have a P4 2.6c - I've overclocked it to 3.38 ghz on
an Asus P4P 800. Backed it down to 2.8. Using PNY Verto PC 3500 DDR 433
ram. Just installed a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu, and the unit is running much
cooler and quieter- 36c at idle, 47c is the highest I've seen under load.
Using an Antec Sonata case - covered the "Antec" holes on either side of the
case for better airflow. Here's a link from Intel - it's a little dated,
but the concept is still up to date....
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/thermal/system.htm#4

CPU-Z is reporting the memory as PC3200...
CPU#1 APIC ID = 0
CPU Name Intel Pentium 4
Code Name Northwood
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
Family / Model / Stepping F 2 9
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Brand ID 9
Package mPGA-478
Core Stepping D1
Technology 0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
CPU Clock Speed 2807.5 MHz
Clock multiplier x 13.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 216.0 MHz
Bus Speed 863.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2807.5 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

CPU#2 APIC ID = 1
CPU Name Intel Pentium 4 (logical unit)

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Motherboard model P4P800, Rev 1.xx
BIOS vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS revision 080009
BIOS release date 02/23/2004
Chipset Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. A2
Sensor chip Winbond W83627THF
FSB Select 800 MHz
Performance Mode disabled

AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 128 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 216.0 MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge 4 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
Module 1 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 1
(Build 2600)

Good luck!