Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Administrator rights make it annoying to rename files

Last response: in Windows 7
November 1, 2009 8:43:17 AM

Hi,

Just upgraded to windows 7 from the beta. I am having an annoying problem that when I try to rename and avi file an administrative rights message pops up and I have to click it to confirm that I want to rename the file. How can I turn this off? It didn't happen when I was using the beta.

Thanks

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 1, 2009 8:56:07 AM

Turning off UAC should sort that out. It's much less intrusive in Windows 7, but not quite there yet.
November 1, 2009 9:18:56 AM

Thanks. How do I do that? I have never been a Vista user so this is new to me.

I have got to this window

and putting the slider to the bottom does nothing. The message still comes up

thanks
Score
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 1, 2009 9:22:13 AM

Did you reboot after turning off UAC? Turning the feature completely off requires a reboot to take effect. Changing the level while still remaining on, does not.
Score
November 1, 2009 9:34:28 AM

cheers, just did a reboot and it all works.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2009 9:53:54 AM

if your a power user, UAC is useless - i dont like anything on my computer telling me what to do :D 
Score
November 1, 2009 1:45:33 PM

I've been using Windows 7 for about 6 months and have never had a problem with renaming a file, unless it was in certain protected folder like /system32. Is this avi in a protected folder? Also your UAC could be set too high.
Score
a c 209 $ Windows 7
November 1, 2009 3:59:26 PM

jsrudd said:
Is this avi in a protected folder?
Yeah, my reaction to this is that it's less of a UAC problem and more of a file management problem. I having a hard time understanding why you would need to store an AVI file in a folder that you didn't have full access to...
Score
!