CPU Repair

My 'gamble' arrived today: a P3-S 1.4Ghz CPU with a missing Vcore pin
purchased on eBay for the princely sum of $20 shipped (they usually go
for around $150 with all 370 pins).

I figured the CPU might work with one missing Vcore pin, but I suppose
the seller would have tried that. Didn't work.

It didn't appear possible to install a replacement pin such that it
would connect with the two PCB traces from the missing pin to the core,
but I found a spot where these traces ran parallel to a pair of traces
from another Vcore pin - aha!

I scraped the four parallel traces to expose the copper, soldered a tiny
piece of wire to bridge all four and tried again - works!

One Vcore pin is carrying more current than Intel intended, but the CPU
has now run 3 hours at 100% without a glitch :-)

P2B
3 answers Last reply
More about repair

    P2B wrote:

    > My 'gamble' arrived today: a P3-S 1.4Ghz CPU with a missing Vcore pin
    > purchased on eBay for the princely sum of $20 shipped (they usually go
    > for around $150 with all 370 pins).
    >
    > I figured the CPU might work with one missing Vcore pin, but I suppose
    > the seller would have tried that. Didn't work.
    >
    > It didn't appear possible to install a replacement pin such that it
    > would connect with the two PCB traces from the missing pin to the core,
    > but I found a spot where these traces ran parallel to a pair of traces
    > from another Vcore pin - aha!
    >
    > I scraped the four parallel traces to expose the copper, soldered a tiny
    > piece of wire to bridge all four and tried again - works!
    >
    > One Vcore pin is carrying more current than Intel intended, but the CPU
    > has now run 3 hours at 100% without a glitch :-)
    >
    > P2B

    I applaud your ingenuity.

    Good work.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "P2B" <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > My 'gamble' arrived today: a P3-S 1.4Ghz CPU with a missing Vcore pin
    > purchased on eBay for the princely sum of $20 shipped (they usually go
    > for around $150 with all 370 pins).
    >
    > I figured the CPU might work with one missing Vcore pin, but I suppose
    > the seller would have tried that. Didn't work.
    >
    > It didn't appear possible to install a replacement pin such that it
    > would connect with the two PCB traces from the missing pin to the core,
    > but I found a spot where these traces ran parallel to a pair of traces
    > from another Vcore pin - aha!
    >
    > I scraped the four parallel traces to expose the copper, soldered a tiny
    > piece of wire to bridge all four and tried again - works!
    >
    > One Vcore pin is carrying more current than Intel intended, but the CPU
    > has now run 3 hours at 100% without a glitch :-)

    That's pretty good. Those PIII 133FSB 512K L2 Tualatins are an excellent
    CPU...better than most of the lower end P4's ever were. Mine was a 1.13Ghz
    version, but it ran for 2 1/2 years at 1325Mhz before I upgraded. It ran on
    par with a P4 1.6...
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    kudos to ya, P2B! nice work

Overclocking CPUs