CPU Repair

My 'gamble' arrived today: a P3-S 1.4Ghz CPU with a missing Vcore pin
purchased on eBay for the princely sum of $20 shipped (they usually go
for around $150 with all 370 pins).

I figured the CPU might work with one missing Vcore pin, but I suppose
the seller would have tried that. Didn't work.

It didn't appear possible to install a replacement pin such that it
would connect with the two PCB traces from the missing pin to the core,
but I found a spot where these traces ran parallel to a pair of traces
from another Vcore pin - aha!

I scraped the four parallel traces to expose the copper, soldered a tiny
piece of wire to bridge all four and tried again - works!

One Vcore pin is carrying more current than Intel intended, but the CPU
has now run 3 hours at 100% without a glitch :)

P2B

P2B wrote:

> My 'gamble' arrived today: a P3-S 1.4Ghz CPU with a missing Vcore pin
> purchased on eBay for the princely sum of $20 shipped (they usually go
> for around $150 with all 370 pins).
>
> I figured the CPU might work with one missing Vcore pin, but I suppose
> the seller would have tried that. Didn't work.
>
> It didn't appear possible to install a replacement pin such that it
> would connect with the two PCB traces from the missing pin to the core,
> but I found a spot where these traces ran parallel to a pair of traces
> from another Vcore pin - aha!
>
> I scraped the four parallel traces to expose the copper, soldered a tiny
> piece of wire to bridge all four and tried again - works!
>
> One Vcore pin is carrying more current than Intel intended, but the CPU
> has now run 3 hours at 100% without a glitch :)
>
> P2B

I applaud your ingenuity.

Good work.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"P2B" <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> My 'gamble' arrived today: a P3-S 1.4Ghz CPU with a missing Vcore pin
> purchased on eBay for the princely sum of $20 shipped (they usually go
> for around $150 with all 370 pins).
>
> I figured the CPU might work with one missing Vcore pin, but I suppose
> the seller would have tried that. Didn't work.
>
> It didn't appear possible to install a replacement pin such that it
> would connect with the two PCB traces from the missing pin to the core,
> but I found a spot where these traces ran parallel to a pair of traces
> from another Vcore pin - aha!
>
> I scraped the four parallel traces to expose the copper, soldered a tiny
> piece of wire to bridge all four and tried again - works!
>
> One Vcore pin is carrying more current than Intel intended, but the CPU
> has now run 3 hours at 100% without a glitch :)

That's pretty good. Those PIII 133FSB 512K L2 Tualatins are an excellent
CPU...better than most of the lower end P4's ever were. Mine was a 1.13Ghz
version, but it ran for 2 1/2 years at 1325Mhz before I upgraded. It ran on
par with a P4 1.6...