overclocking a 3.4g p4 chip ??

Hi, ive got a MSI neo 875 board with a new shiny P4 3.4chip, it clocks fine
to 3.85ghz with slight voltage increases and temperature when flat out is
only 50c with standard fan on, what i wanna know is if i got on of the water
coolers and bought better ram what could i realistically clock this to, its
fast enough but i always want more !?

Cheers
scott

"Mr Scott Smith" <scott@snortmaiden.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, ive got a MSI neo 875 board with a new shiny P4 3.4chip, it clocks
fine
> to 3.85ghz with slight voltage increases and temperature when flat out is
> only 50c with standard fan on, what i wanna know is if i got on of the
water
> coolers and bought better ram what could i realistically clock this to,
its
> fast enough but i always want more !?
>
> Cheers
> scott

It's very hard to get further, even with water.
Or so @ least that's what some1 on here said.
Be happy with that Overclock, it might be the highest your'll get.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:38:59 +0100, "Mr Scott Smith"
<scott@snortmaiden.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi, ive got a MSI neo 875 board with a new shiny P4 3.4chip, it clocks fine
>to 3.85ghz with slight voltage increases and temperature when flat out is
>only 50c with standard fan on, what i wanna know is if i got on of the water
>coolers and bought better ram what could i realistically clock this to, its
>fast enough but i always want more !?
>
>Cheers
>scott

A better cooler would do,.. but why watercooling? Nah... my 3 gig
runs at 3.6 at averagely between 38 & 42° celcius using a
Coolermaster.

titan

Distinguished
May 15, 2001

U're temps are a little high :\
Going to water will ultimately not get u much more than about another 5deg
drop.....u should be looking at providing cooler 'system temps...ie mo fans
:)
thereby reducing the temp of ure cpu as its air intake will be cooler!
this is assuming that u're cpu + heatsink are properly fitted and are using
good (silver) compound!

I have a 3.4 also with an ASUS m/b and have reached the same amount with the
mem running at full speed (corsair)!
My system has 7 fans plus cpu fan (thermaltake) and CPU runs at 32deg an
case runs at 26deg.
At full load cpu hits 42deg :)
I WILL hit over 4 but suspect that northbridge needs a fan :(
If i were u....i wouldnt be happy till it hit over 4 as well. Have found
many others with same chip (with ASUS boards)that hit as high as 4.4
(without watercooling)
Watercooling would be feasible if noise was a consideration!
gl
Titan

btw i like u're MSI board, it would have been my second choice :)

"Mr Scott Smith" <scott@snortmaiden.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, ive got a MSI neo 875 board with a new shiny P4 3.4chip, it clocks
fine
> to 3.85ghz with slight voltage increases and temperature when flat out is
> only 50c with standard fan on, what i wanna know is if i got on of the
water
> coolers and bought better ram what could i realistically clock this to,
its
> fast enough but i always want more !?
>
> Cheers
> scott

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:16:06 +1000, "TitaN"
<alby3@optushome(DOT)com(DOT)au> wrote:

>Going to water will ultimately not get u much more than about another 5deg
>drop.....

Why do you say that ? It all depends of the watercooling system...

My P4 2.4@3360 was putting 47/48º at full use and after putting water
on it, went to 37/38º.

Now i'm using a 3.0@3.780 and it's reading 37º at 100%. Just added a
second 120mm radiator to circuit and it's way cool...
Idle temps are of 26º.

If you want to get some more of an already very pushed system, WC is
the way to go without getting into prommies or chillers... :)

Stormgiant
P4 3.0@3780 with 1024 GEIL ULTRA PC3500 @2-2-2-5 @403

It can be a little dificult to pass that mark, because 3850 is already
on the near bound limite of the northwood core :(
But with water or better, there is a good change of getting 4000...
dificult, ya.... impossible, no...

Mine goes to 3900, but very unstable...

"Stormgiant" <stormy_icq@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It can be a little dificult to pass that mark, because 3850 is already
> on the near bound limite of the northwood core :(
> But with water or better, there is a good change of getting 4000...
> dificult, ya.... impossible, no...
>
> Mine goes to 3900, but very unstable...
>

> Stormgiant
> P4 3.0@3780 with 1024 GEIL ULTRA PC3500 @2-2-2-5 @403

I'm sure you have got it that far too.
Mine, I've had this P4 2.6 @ 3.34 (3,434 MHz) My PSU Fails to give enough
power.
So it's Very unstable @ that. I did somehow get it half way through
3DMark03
a little more power, and I think I can run this thing that high. Temps, I
think it was around 100ºF
I don't know for (C) on that. But it's well within safe temps.

Denny. :)

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:38:59 +0100, "Mr Scott Smith"
> <scott@snortmaiden.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Hi, ive got a MSI neo 875 board with a new shiny P4 3.4chip, it clocks
fine
> >to 3.85ghz with slight voltage increases and temperature when flat out is
> >only 50c with standard fan on, what i wanna know is if i got on of the
water
> >coolers and bought better ram what could i realistically clock this to,
its
> >fast enough but i always want more !?
> >
> >Cheers
> >scott

titan

Distinguished
May 15, 2001

"Stormgiant" <Why do you say that ? It all depends of the watercooling
system...

Nooo.... it all depends on the hs/fan ........
All i meant to say is that a top class water cooling system will only
'better' a top class air cooling system by an average of about 5%.