WPA2 plus VPN

It has been suggested that using WPA2 could be strengthened by using a VPN.
I'm puzzling over that notion.

Here I thought that a VPN was mostly based on using an encryption scheme.
So why bother?

Any suggestions? I feel like I have some learning to do.

Thanks,

Fred

WPA protects traffic between the client and the access point. If the access
point is a part of a public network then VPN should be used - otherwise it's
clearly overkill, overengineering that adds no security but does add system
administration overhead.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
> It has been suggested that using WPA2 could be strengthened by using a
VPN.
> I'm puzzling over that notion.
>
> Here I thought that a VPN was mostly based on using an encryption scheme.
> So why bother?
>
> Any suggestions? I feel like I have some learning to do.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred

Svyatoslav

Thanks for the confirmation.