Max o/c for 3 Ghz?

Hi!

I have a p4c800 dlx mobo and a 3Ghz cpu, along with Corsair XMS 3700 (DDR
466).

At first, I cranked it up to 3.7 Ghz, but it was unstable. Finally, I
brought it down to 3.62 ghz which seemed fine. However, things got
complicated when I started to play UT2004. The system started to hang. I
brought it down to 3.5 ghz and everything went back fine after... The thing
is, just for the fun of it, I tried to push it back to 3.6, which was not as
heavy as 3.7. However, the system did not want to boot at all at this
speed!! How come this? It used to boot at 3.7, but now it does not want at
3.6, even at voltage 1.65. Is this normal?

Many thanks!

--
Daniel
www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/english

I also use corsair XMS3700 (2 sticks of 512). I am running a p4p800dlx
with a p42.8C cpu.

My limiting factor running a 1:1 ratio is the ram. When running
default ram settings (SPD) I found that the ratio was not 1:1 but
rather 2:3. Ram was running slower but the CPU faster with the same
end speed.

Set your FSB to 235 and gradually increase from there 1 mhz at a time.
The ram will probably reach a top speed of 238 FSB. To get 1:1 ram:cpu
ratio change the ram settings in the bios from SPD to manual. Do not
change any of the CAS, RAS timing etc. Corsair will not boot if set to
anything but 3,4,4,7 (you can play around with the 4,4,7 but not the
3, everything should be done very slowly at this time, wait until
your system is running stable).

Crank up the Vcore voltage up 2 levels, also crank up the Vdimm
voltage 2 levels. This is for ram / cpu stability. Never increase
voltage to Vcore or Vdimm more than .2 volts, unless you are ready to
take the risk of burning somthing.

Ensure that you have GOOD ventilation into & out of the case.

Test your OC using a prog called Prime 95, its free on the net & it
will detect ram errors using the default setting of the prog. If you
get errors back off on the OC (FSB) until it runs error free.

Lock the AGP/PCI setting. So that they will not be OC'd (important)

My system is running at 3.33 Ghz, very stable & error free (again at a
1:1 ratio).

Locust

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:48:47 -0400, "cimetière"
<cimetiere@moncanoe.comsapmmmmmmm> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I have a p4c800 dlx mobo and a 3Ghz cpu, along with Corsair XMS 3700 (DDR
>466).
>
>At first, I cranked it up to 3.7 Ghz, but it was unstable. Finally, I
>brought it down to 3.62 ghz which seemed fine. However, things got
>complicated when I started to play UT2004. The system started to hang. I
>brought it down to 3.5 ghz and everything went back fine after... The thing
>is, just for the fun of it, I tried to push it back to 3.6, which was not as
>heavy as 3.7. However, the system did not want to boot at all at this
>speed!! How come this? It used to boot at 3.7, but now it does not want at
>3.6, even at voltage 1.65. Is this normal?
>
>Many thanks!

I have the P4 2.8e
MSI 865PE Neo2
No change in voltage
Ram dual channel linear mode 256+256 kingston CL3 by SPD
No change in AGP/PCI
Max Ram bandwith of 5.3 Gb reported by SANDRA
Max CPU 3.34Ghz and stable.

Silva