Dell Dimension/Celeron 2.4

G'day,
I got a Dell Dimension 2400 (Celeron 2.4)
*No, I didn't pay for it, it was a gift*

However, this is what Dell Says about it:

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz Processor
128KB ON-DIE L2 Cache
This Processor has a 400Mhz Front Side Bus

256MB 333Mhz DDR (Memory performs at 266Mhz with a 400Mhz Front Side Bus)

Does anyone know if there a way I can get the Memory to perform at 333Mhz on
this shitty Mobo?

Or do I have to gut this machine and rob it for all its parts and buy a new
motherboard?

Cheers,

Andy
4 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension celeron

    > Or do I have to gut this machine and rob it for all its parts and buy a
    new
    > motherboard?
    >
    > Cheers,

    You can't adjust the FSB....on most Dell's I've seen the memory is
    autodetected and the memory bus speed is autoset. The memory on this box is
    shared with the video adapter. The FSB is a quad pumped 100Mhz. As for
    pulling useful parts, there are none. The $80 Celeron processor performs on
    a level with a 1.6Ghz P4 Willamette. Everything else is proprietary soldered
    on motherboard stuff. The power supply pumps out a screaming 160W and is
    proprietary also. For web browsing or productivity apps it's OK. For gaming
    it's a dead loss.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Andy wrote:
    > G'day,
    > I got a Dell Dimension 2400 (Celeron 2.4)
    > *No, I didn't pay for it, it was a gift*
    >
    > However, this is what Dell Says about it:
    >
    > Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz Processor
    > 128KB ON-DIE L2 Cache
    > This Processor has a 400Mhz Front Side Bus
    >
    > 256MB 333Mhz DDR (Memory performs at 266Mhz with a 400Mhz Front Side Bus)
    >
    > Does anyone know if there a way I can get the Memory to perform at 333Mhz on
    > this shitty Mobo?

    The short answer is no.

    For a little background, though, Dell model numbers denote more a 'class'
    of machine (for a market segment. In this case "value PC") rather than a
    specific one. Your "Dell Dimension 2400", for example, is available with
    celeron processors from 2 to 2.7 GHz (400MHz FSB) and P4s from 2.2 (400MHz
    FSB) to 3.06 (533 MHz FSB). You need their "Service Tag Number" to know
    exactly what you've got.

    The good news is that you could probably put a 3.0g Gig P4 in it as Dell's
    "Technical Specifications" for the "Dell™ Dimension™ 2400 Series" says
    that's an Intel 845GV chipset and supports a 533 MHz FSB, and
    hyperthreading, but you'd need to check what really IS in your system
    because it's possible for them to use different motherboards (just like
    they do with processors).

    As a general rule, store bought machines are intended to be run as they are
    designed and don't provide 'overclock' features for you to run them OTHER
    than as designed. So, for the memory, the thing is, with a maximum system
    clock of 133Mhz that's the maximum clock for the memory. I.E. DDR: 133 x2=
    266MHz. You also wouldn't gain much, if anything, by running it 'faster'
    since the FSB (for your Celeron) is 400MHz. I.E. You can't pump data
    through the FSB any faster than that so getting it 'faster' from memory TO
    the FSB doesn't get it into the processor any faster. Although there might
    be some benefits to simultaneous AGP, PCI, and processor memory access but
    it's a moot point as there isn't a clock available to run it any faster.

    If you're the adventurous type, and technically inclined, you could try
    wire tricks (jumpering CPU pins) to force the celeron into requesting a
    533MHz FSB, and a higher core voltage, but there's no guarantee it'll hit
    3.2 Gig.

    > Or do I have to gut this machine and rob it for all its parts and buy anew
    > motherboard?

    It's a "value PC" with everything integrated into the motherboard. In
    effect, there isn't anything you can 'rob'.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    could get real adventurous and contact award bios for a new bios chip to
    allow oC also.
    always been to afraid to try that on my dell 4500

    "David Maynard" <dmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    Andy wrote:
    > G'day,
    > I got a Dell Dimension 2400 (Celeron 2.4)
    > *No, I didn't pay for it, it was a gift*
    >
    > However, this is what Dell Says about it:
    >
    > Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz Processor
    > 128KB ON-DIE L2 Cache
    > This Processor has a 400Mhz Front Side Bus
    >
    > 256MB 333Mhz DDR (Memory performs at 266Mhz with a 400Mhz Front Side Bus)
    >
    > Does anyone know if there a way I can get the Memory to perform at 333Mhz
    on
    > this shitty Mobo?

    The short answer is no.

    For a little background, though, Dell model numbers denote more a 'class'
    of machine (for a market segment. In this case "value PC") rather than a
    specific one. Your "Dell Dimension 2400", for example, is available with
    celeron processors from 2 to 2.7 GHz (400MHz FSB) and P4s from 2.2 (400MHz
    FSB) to 3.06 (533 MHz FSB). You need their "Service Tag Number" to know
    exactly what you've got.

    The good news is that you could probably put a 3.0g Gig P4 in it as Dell's
    "Technical Specifications" for the "Dell™ Dimension™ 2400 Series" says
    that's an Intel 845GV chipset and supports a 533 MHz FSB, and
    hyperthreading, but you'd need to check what really IS in your system
    because it's possible for them to use different motherboards (just like
    they do with processors).

    As a general rule, store bought machines are intended to be run as they are
    designed and don't provide 'overclock' features for you to run them OTHER
    than as designed. So, for the memory, the thing is, with a maximum system
    clock of 133Mhz that's the maximum clock for the memory. I.E. DDR: 133 x2=
    266MHz. You also wouldn't gain much, if anything, by running it 'faster'
    since the FSB (for your Celeron) is 400MHz. I.E. You can't pump data
    through the FSB any faster than that so getting it 'faster' from memory TO
    the FSB doesn't get it into the processor any faster. Although there might
    be some benefits to simultaneous AGP, PCI, and processor memory access but
    it's a moot point as there isn't a clock available to run it any faster.

    If you're the adventurous type, and technically inclined, you could try
    wire tricks (jumpering CPU pins) to force the celeron into requesting a
    533MHz FSB, and a higher core voltage, but there's no guarantee it'll hit
    3.2 Gig.

    > Or do I have to gut this machine and rob it for all its parts and buy anew
    > motherboard?

    It's a "value PC" with everything integrated into the motherboard. In
    effect, there isn't anything you can 'rob'.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    dmac wrote:
    > could get real adventurous and contact award bios for a new bios chip to
    > allow oC also.
    > always been to afraid to try that on my dell 4500

    A new BIOS won't make the hardware suddenly capable of things it can't do.

    BTW, Award licenses the core code and development tools for a developer to
    then create motherboard specific BIOSes for their products but 'they',
    Award, don't have motherboard specific BIOSes to sell you.

Celeron Dell Dimension Overclocking