Overclocking 2ghz Celeron Northwood

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2004 3:38:05 AM

Hi there. I've managed to get hold of a free, working 2ghz Celeron (system
pull). I tried to sell it - but noone was interested. So i've decided to
build a machine based around the P4 architecture. Currently, i'm thinking of
an AOpen AX45-4DN with this Celeron, with a view to replacing it with a full
blown P4 at a later date. I've seen one or two articles about the 2ghz
Celeron clocking to over 3ghz with little more than the stock cooler and a
voltage tweak.

However - i'm an AMD user. I dont really like Intel, and i'm not exactly
au-fait with their problems/niggles etc. I know the multipliers cant be
unlocked (unlike the AMD's) but i know they can usually clock a lot higher.
Is there anything other than this that i need to know?

So, armed with this Celeron 2ghz - what should i expect to be able to clock
it to, and what should i expect the performance to be like?

Kai
May 2, 2004 9:05:52 PM

> So, armed with this Celeron 2ghz - what should i expect to be able to
clock
> it to, and what should i expect the performance to be like?

A 2 Ghz Celeron performs on par with a 1.3 to 1.4 Ghz Willamette P4. A
2.8Ghz Celeron performs like a 2.0 Ghz Prescott P4. They can be overclocked,
but it's largely a waste of time and effort. Do yourself a favor, and get
real P4. Having 4 times the L2 cache and 50-100% more FSB speed is worth
paying a few extra dollars for. Celerons are OK for basic productivity apps
and web browsing. Anything resembling video editing, graphics programs, 3D
gaming, etc they fall flat on their face.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2004 12:09:33 AM

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

> > So, armed with this Celeron 2ghz - what should i expect to be able to
> clock
> > it to, and what should i expect the performance to be like?
>
> A 2 Ghz Celeron performs on par with a 1.3 to 1.4 Ghz Willamette P4. A
> 2.8Ghz Celeron performs like a 2.0 Ghz Prescott P4. They can be
overclocked,
> but it's largely a waste of time and effort. Do yourself a favor, and get
> real P4. Having 4 times the L2 cache and 50-100% more FSB speed is worth
> paying a few extra dollars for. Celerons are OK for basic productivity
apps
> and web browsing. Anything resembling video editing, graphics programs, 3D
> gaming, etc they fall flat on their face.

Well P4's are just too expensive to buy - compared to an Athlon XP. I've
looked on ebay - i've found nothing over 2ghz for under £100. If i had a
proper P4 - i'd use it, but until they drop to 20-30 quid, theres no chance
of buying one.
May 3, 2004 9:52:35 AM

"> Well P4's are just too expensive to buy - compared to an Athlon XP. I've
> looked on ebay - i've found nothing over 2ghz for under £100. If i had a
> proper P4 - i'd use it, but until they drop to 20-30 quid, theres no
chance
> of buying one.

Try picking up a 1.6 to 1.8 Ghz Willamette P4. They readily overclock to the
2 Ghz range.
!