Overclocking 2ghz Celeron Northwood

Hi there. I've managed to get hold of a free, working 2ghz Celeron (system
pull). I tried to sell it - but noone was interested. So i've decided to
build a machine based around the P4 architecture. Currently, i'm thinking of
an AOpen AX45-4DN with this Celeron, with a view to replacing it with a full
blown P4 at a later date. I've seen one or two articles about the 2ghz
Celeron clocking to over 3ghz with little more than the stock cooler and a
voltage tweak.

However - i'm an AMD user. I dont really like Intel, and i'm not exactly
au-fait with their problems/niggles etc. I know the multipliers cant be
unlocked (unlike the AMD's) but i know they can usually clock a lot higher.
Is there anything other than this that i need to know?

So, armed with this Celeron 2ghz - what should i expect to be able to clock
it to, and what should i expect the performance to be like?

Kai
3 answers Last reply
More about overclocking 2ghz celeron northwood

    > So, armed with this Celeron 2ghz - what should i expect to be able to
    clock
    > it to, and what should i expect the performance to be like?

    A 2 Ghz Celeron performs on par with a 1.3 to 1.4 Ghz Willamette P4. A
    2.8Ghz Celeron performs like a 2.0 Ghz Prescott P4. They can be overclocked,
    but it's largely a waste of time and effort. Do yourself a favor, and get
    real P4. Having 4 times the L2 cache and 50-100% more FSB speed is worth
    paying a few extra dollars for. Celerons are OK for basic productivity apps
    and web browsing. Anything resembling video editing, graphics programs, 3D
    gaming, etc they fall flat on their face.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

    > > So, armed with this Celeron 2ghz - what should i expect to be able to
    > clock
    > > it to, and what should i expect the performance to be like?
    >
    > A 2 Ghz Celeron performs on par with a 1.3 to 1.4 Ghz Willamette P4. A
    > 2.8Ghz Celeron performs like a 2.0 Ghz Prescott P4. They can be
    overclocked,
    > but it's largely a waste of time and effort. Do yourself a favor, and get
    > real P4. Having 4 times the L2 cache and 50-100% more FSB speed is worth
    > paying a few extra dollars for. Celerons are OK for basic productivity
    apps
    > and web browsing. Anything resembling video editing, graphics programs, 3D
    > gaming, etc they fall flat on their face.

    Well P4's are just too expensive to buy - compared to an Athlon XP. I've
    looked on ebay - i've found nothing over 2ghz for under £100. If i had a
    proper P4 - i'd use it, but until they drop to 20-30 quid, theres no chance
    of buying one.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "> Well P4's are just too expensive to buy - compared to an Athlon XP. I've
    > looked on ebay - i've found nothing over 2ghz for under £100. If i had a
    > proper P4 - i'd use it, but until they drop to 20-30 quid, theres no
    chance
    > of buying one.

    Try picking up a 1.6 to 1.8 Ghz Willamette P4. They readily overclock to the
    2 Ghz range.

Overclocking Celeron