What would be the quietest 80mm fan with with the highest ..

What would be the quietest 80mm fan with with the highest CFM ?

Need one for my heatsink, xp2400.

Thanks.

fred

On Sat, 01 May 2004 18:24:21 +1000, We Live For The One We Die For The
One <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>What would be the quietest 80mm fan with with the highest CFM ?
>
>Need one for my heatsink, xp2400.
>
>Thanks.

Don't bother, they're out of stock ;)

We Live For The One We Die For The One wrote:

> What would be the quietest 80mm fan with with the highest CFM ?
>
> Need one for my heatsink, xp2400.
>
> Thanks.

The two goals are mutually exclusive because, all else being equal, more
CFM means more noise and less noise means less CFM.

What you apparently want is the minimum CFM that will do the job, because
that will be the least noise, and that would depend on which heatsink you
have and what maximum temperature you want the CPU to reach, which would
also depends on the maximum ambient you wish it to work in, case cooling,
and whether you intend to overclock it.

Also note that as the device being cooled approaches the temperature of the
air used to cool it it becomes exponentially more difficult to get any
improvement. So, for example, case cooling can sometimes be a less noisy
means to get a few more degrees cooler, if you can use larger, or multiple,
fans for the airflow, because larger fans are less noisy per CFM moved and
a drop in case temp results in the same amount of CPU temp drop.

It also depends on how efficiently your fans are being utilized. E.g.
Because cases are inherently 'leaky', exhausting heat from the CPU area out
the rear of the case is more effective than pushing air into the case from
the front because the air being blown in tends to dissipate through leakage
paths that don't help a lot.

Which means there isn't a 'simple' answer to your question.

On Sat, 01 May 2004 18:24:21 +1000, We Live For The One We Die For The
One <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>What would be the quietest 80mm fan with with the highest CFM ?
>
>Need one for my heatsink, xp2400.
>
>Thanks.

Could try one of the Zalman flower heatsinks, replacing the stock 92mm
fan with a 120mm ? Although my XP2400+ is running fine (and a little
cooler than the xp2000+ that it replaced) with the stock 92mm at full
speed (2600rpm)

Been thinking about doing that conversion here. The idea is, big fan,
low speed, low noise, high cfm.

Pete Lilleyman
alishas.dontspam.addict@blueyonder.co.getrid.uk
(please get rid of ".getrid" to reply direct)
(don't get rid of the dontspam though ;-)

TRENDING THREADS