Will a new hiscore.dat work with Mame36?

Hey guys,

I'm using DOS Mame36 in my cabinet, and want to be able to keep my high
scores. Will the latest versions of hiscore.dat available work on a
copy of MAME this old?

Thanks!

pinballjim at hotmail dot com

No it won't. In earlier MAME versions the highscore support wasn't
separated but built in MAME. Don't remember when the change happened
but I could swear it was some versions after 36. 36 won't be able to
read the hiscore file at all.....iirc.....

Roman Scherzer wrote:
> No it won't. In earlier MAME versions the highscore support wasn't
> separated but built in MAME. Don't remember when the change happened
> but I could swear it was some versions after 36. 36 won't be able to
> read the hiscore file at all.....iirc.....

This is straight from the whatsnew.txt file provided with mame36b:

---------------
High score saving is no longer directly supported. It requires an
external file called HISCORE.DAT, which will be provided and
maintained separately from MAME. Without that file, nothing will be
saved to the /hi subdirectory. We cannot guarantee at this time that
all future versions of HISCORE.DAT will work with this version of MAME.
----------------

Hence my question, will a new version of hiscore.dat work with mame36?

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> Roman Scherzer wrote:
>> No it won't. In earlier MAME versions the highscore support
>> wasn't separated but built in MAME. Don't remember when the
>> change happened but I could swear it was some versions after 36.
>> 36 won't be able to read the hiscore file at all.....iirc.....
>
> This is straight from the whatsnew.txt file provided with mame36b:
>
> ---------------
> High score saving is no longer directly supported. It requires an
> external file called HISCORE.DAT, which will be provided and
> maintained separately from MAME. Without that file, nothing will
> be saved to the /hi subdirectory. We cannot guarantee at this
> time that all future versions of HISCORE.DAT will work with this
> version of MAME. ----------------
>
> Hence my question, will a new version of hiscore.dat work with
> mame36?

Dosent take much to fire it up and see. Based on the above, it
shouldd work as I dont recall there being a format change.

--
David

SINNER wrote:
> Dosent take much to fire it up and see. Based on the above, it
> shouldd work as I dont recall there being a format change.

Yeah, there haven't been any format changes, but there have been
several changes in the ROMs since 36b.

Was really hoping someone still had the old hiscore.dat file! :)

pinballjim at hotmail dot com

Well, judging that Mame36b came out around February, 2000 - I'm going
to guess that the hiscore.dat version 1 file located here:

http://www.mame.net/hiscore.html

Is the one that I'm looking for